Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39085 by PaulB
Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:40 pm
I installed my new Ooma after the router, but will not work after modem.
#1) Cable modem ---Linksys WRT54GL -----Ooma (this one works fine)
#2) Cable modem -----Ooma-----Linksys WRT54GL (this one does not work)

I have tried rebooting each device, but no dice. When I try #2 above, the only lights on the Telo is the 1 and trash, both are blue. Also, the large flower flashes red. Any ideas?
#39088 by bw1
Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:47 pm
How long have you had the Telo? Did you connect it behind the router and let it download the latest firmware (20-30 minutes)?

It should work connected either way. With the Telo connected to the cable modem, try unplugging the power from the Telo and your cable modem and then plug in the Telo, wait 30 seconds and then plug in the cable modem.
#39090 by PaulB
Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:28 pm
I just got it today. I did download the software and then tested the unit by making and receiving a few calls. I then wanted to put the Ooma after the cable modem instead of after the router.
#39121 by murphy
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:48 am
Is your cable modem also a cable telephone adapter? Those have a battery and can't be reset by pulling the power because the battery keeps them on. There is a reset button (or hole) that must be used to do the modem reset.
#39337 by amoney
Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:24 pm
I was just about to say reboot your cable modem.

The Ooma was not getting a IP address from the modem. Its typical.
#40205 by triple_vee
Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:43 pm
amoney wrote:I was just about to say reboot your cable modem.

The Ooma was not getting a IP address from the modem. Its typical.

Does the Ooma act as a router? If it can sit between the modem and my home router, then my home router wants to get an external IP address from whom? the modem or the ooma? presumably the ooma.

edit: just confirmed using some diagnostic tools that the Ooma is indeed a router.

Ooma employees, you need to tell customers to power up in this order if the Ooma is sitting between the modem and router:
1. modem (wait till finished)
2. *Ooma* (wait till finished)
3. then finally your home router.
#40238 by 7709329535
Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:38 am
I was on the phone with Ooma for 4 hours yesterday trying to install Ooma Telo, spoke to 4 people. Last one said to leave on all night after walking me thru installation twice. I have AT&T fiberoptic cable conection that I pluged into "to internet". Blue figure still blinking this morning. Anyone know what to do now? I feel that I have to return and need to know how to get credit for porting that I charged. I had to disconnect Ooma to get back on internet.
William
#40252 by bw1
Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 am
triple_vee wrote:Ooma employees, you need to tell customers to power up in this order if the Ooma is sitting between the modem and router:
1. modem (wait till finished)
2. *Ooma* (wait till finished)
3. then finally your home router.

They do. In the Telo instructions it says to turn off network devices in step 2 (after activating which is step 1). Then in step 4, final installation, it says to plug in the Telo and then turn on your modem and router.
#40255 by bw1
Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:08 am
7709329535 wrote:I was on the phone with Ooma for 4 hours yesterday trying to install Ooma Telo, spoke to 4 people. Last one said to leave on all night after walking me thru installation twice. I have AT&T fiberoptic cable conection that I pluged into "to internet". Blue figure still blinking this morning. Anyone know what to do now? I feel that I have to return and need to know how to get credit for porting that I charged. I had to disconnect Ooma to get back on internet.
William

Do you want to get it working? Based on what you said it sounds like you have a Telo. Is the AT&T modem an integrated modem/router? It sounds like the AT&T modem is not providing an IP address to the Telo.

Connect it back up - modem -> Telo -> PC and go here: http://setup.ooma.com/ and let us know what you get.