Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#38719 by kme
Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:55 am
i installed the telo per instuctions and all went well , able to make calls . problem - when i shut bown my desktop computer all the power is sucked out of it and i cannot restart it . per dell support i needed to unplug everything , hold power button in 10 sec. ,plug in and it restarts as normal .this never hapenned before till tello .setup-basic verizon dsl modem through telo internet , out network into 1 yr old dell xps ethernet . will not do it if shut down with ethernet unplugged , tried different power outlets etc. ooma customer service said i need to hook up system through a router.i got a linksys wrt54g2 wireless ,even though i do not current use wireless and put it between telo and pc .call quality was much improved for some reason ,but power down issue is same .went from modem to router out to telo and pc -same issue.i still have my landline for incomeing calls and plan to use the telo for long distance.i'm a computer novice, telo is about 2 weeks old ,and this is my first try at voip .any ideas out in ooma land ? i would be very gratefull to get this figured out! thanks for reading my story .
#38721 by byersthja
Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:04 am
I'm not understanding what the Telo has to do with your desktop computer. It sounds like a coincidence. Other than ethernet cabling, what do the 2 devices have in common? Are they sharing the same power strip? In my 12+ years experience in networking and PC support, I have never seen ethernet cabling have any affect on a PC's power. It sounds to me like it is strictly a power issue with the Dell. This I have seen plenty of times. Out of about 10 Dell PC's in a remote office I support, 3 of them have had power issues like you describe.
#38723 by kme
Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:11 am
thanks for the quick reply , is there any kind of one way power switch or relay i can use to isolate the computer ? i plan to call dell but am not getting my hopes up . i have tried different power sources for all units ,same issue , it seems to be strictly ethernet related .? also the guy at best buy that picked out the router for me says he has heard of this , as they sell ooma and this would fix it .well ,it hasn't .
#38726 by daet
Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:51 am
kme wrote:i installed the telo per instuctions and all went well , able to make calls . problem - when i shut bown my desktop computer all the power is sucked out of it and i cannot restart it . per dell support i needed to unplug everything , hold power button in 10 sec. ,plug in and it restarts as normal .this never hapenned before till tello .setup-basic verizon dsl modem through telo internet , out network into 1 yr old dell xps ethernet . will not do it if shut down with ethernet unplugged , tried different power outlets etc. ooma customer service said i need to hook up system through a router.i got a linksys wrt54g2 wireless ,even though i do not current use wireless and put it between telo and pc .call quality was much improved for some reason ,but power down issue is same .went from modem to router out to telo and pc -same issue.i still have my landline for incomeing calls and plan to use the telo for long distance.i'm a computer novice, telo is about 2 weeks old ,and this is my first try at voip .any ideas out in ooma land ? i would be very gratefull to get this figured out! thanks for reading my story .

From your message, I gather you have tried the following two setups:
Code: Select allA) DSL-modem ---> Telo ---> Dell-XPS
B) DSL-modem ---> Telo ---> WRT54G2 ---> Dell-XPS

Why don't you try this instead:

/---> Telo
DSL-modem ---> WRT54G2
                     \---> Dell-XPS

By this I mean - connect the WRT54G2 to your DSL modem, and then connect the Telo and Dell-XPS to the WRT54G2.

Joyce
#38727 by kme
Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:12 am
thanks joyce , yes i did try that , same thing .i am going to call dell later when i can devote the time in case i am on hold for a long time , i will post the outcome . i can't be the only one in the universe with this issue , but then again ...
#38729 by Groundhound
Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:56 am
Sounds like some sort of Wake-on-LAN weirdness going on with your network adapter. I'd look at the adapter settings and disable Wake-on-LAN if it is enabled and see if the problem still exists. In any case I can't see how this could possibly be caused by the Telo.
#38906 by kme
Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:11 am
well , as alluded to in the replys , the problem is in my computer . it just never reared it's ugly dell head until i hooked up anothor ethernet device . i wil spare you all my frustrated tales of woe with their customer service , which is continuing . suffice to say i will run this thing till it dies and buy another brand . the telo for me anyways , has worked as advertized . i wish to thank those that replyed to my orginal post and hope to repay them or anyone else on this gracious forum . THANKS , KME
#39704 by kme
Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:28 pm
update- the computer power issue has finally been resolved by dell after 4 calls and 5 different people . something to do with a malfunctioning driver . i wish i could give more details but i don't really know what i'm talking about with respect to computers . i just wanted to say that the telo has proven itself to me by making quality calls for a month now and i can now make the call to my phone company and have them chop my service to the most basic plan and save $50 a month. if your wondering why i still have a land line at all , it is because i live in an area of northern new england with no cell service and regular power outages . my job requires that i be able to respond to to a pager (which usually works) or phone call 24/7 . for this i can use a toll free number . i am so far very pleased with the telo , to bad the handset that came with the "special" is a total piece of junk . but that's ok because i don't really need it , i'll just use it as a paperweight .