Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#38703 by nomad7
Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:20 pm
I am trying to set up my new ooma telo with my existing network. Ive got several posts assigned in my router, one of which is port 80 forwarding to a machine that is running apache web server.

When I hooked up ooma according to the recommended settings (Modem->Ooma->Router->Computer) my web server no longer worked. Instead it pulled up the ooma control panel. To me this what sort of ooma hi-jacking my web sever. Later, after messing around with settings I gave the telo a static ip address and simply plugged it into my router (modem->router->ooma) and things all seem to work.

My question is how do I use ooma with the recommended set up (Modem->Ooma->Router->Computer) but still run my apache web server? I do not know alot about dmz, mac address etc. I have searched online and through the forums for a few hours now and can not seem to find an easy solution. What do I need to do to ooma telo to set it to allow my router to forward some ports as normal?

Here are some of my settings that are in my router
Lan ip address: 192.168.1.1
Lan subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: enabled
LAN MAC Address: 00-03-2f-29-c2-f0
WAN MAC Address: 00-03-2f-29-c2-f1
Default Gateway: 24.27.16.1
DNS: 24.93.41.127 24.93.41.128
WAN IP: 24.27.20.....
#38708 by Shutterstuff
Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:29 pm
My Ooma is hooked up on it's own port on my switch. Nothing travels through it.
#38709 by WayneDsr
Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:42 pm
My ooma hub and telo are both connected to the router as well. As long as you dont have any quality issues this works fine for most users. If you do have some quality issues they can be controlled by the Quality of Service controls of your router, depending on the router.

Wayne
#65733 by megareds
Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:47 pm
My question is how do I use ooma with the recommended set up (Modem->Ooma->Router->Computer) but still run my apache web server?

You can do it in THREE STEPS. Easy.

Since your router was working properly before you installed the OOMA, it must have been handling traffic as you wanted it to. When you install OOMA and reboot it and the router, the router will think that OOMA is the "wide area network" or "WAN." That's a good thing. All you need to do to get any server to work is to tell OOMA to pass data to the router, and that's done with port forwarding.

1. FIND OUT YOUR ROUTER'S NEW WAN ADDRESS. After you place your router behind the OOMA and reboot both machines, go to your router's home page and find out what IP address OOMA has assigned to it. The following is the information that was on my router's "status" page by way of example. The important information here is the IP address "172.27.35.104." Remember, in this configuration your router will think that OOMA is the "WAN."

LAN
MAC Address
00-0d-88-a2-cb-8f
IP Address
Subnet Mask
DHCP Server
Enabled

WAN
MAC Address
00-0d-88-a2-ca-8f
Connection
DHCP Client Connected
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS

2. FIND OUT WHAT PORTS YOU WANT TO FORWARD AND FORWARD THEM USING THE OOMA PORT FORWARDING OPTION. Go to the "OOMA Setup" page and select "Advanced Settings." At the bottom you will see "Port Forwarding." Here, you want to tell OOMA how to direct traffic that comes to it from the internet and to the specific ports that various servers might run on. Web traffic like the traffic that goes to the Apache server usually arrives on port 80 (the port is designated in your apache httpd file), but there are other servers you might want to run and that will need to be forwarded too. FTP traffic on ports 21 and 22 is a possibility. You might run a Squid server on port 8080. Airvideo is a cool product that allows video to be distributed over the internet -- it usually runs on port 45631. Every server will have a port that is associated with it. If you only want to forward traffic to your apache server, you'll only have to forward that port.

Select "Add New Rule" and fill in the "Start Port" with the first port number you want to have forwarded (in my example, the "80" since I'm forwarding ports 80, 21, 22, 8080 and 45631), then fill in your router's IP address (in my example, 172.27.35.104). I do not know what TCP and UDP are, but TCP works for me. Add a rule for every port you want to forward, or use a range of ports to forward within a single rule if that works easier. I am not sure if you have to reboot both machines now, but it can't hurt. Reboot them simultaneously.

3. TEST THE SYSTEM. Once OOMA is forwarding data to the correct ports on the router, the router should distribute the traffic as it did before, but there may be one annoying problem. OOMA is not smart enough to show a user on the inside of the network what the network looks like from the outside, and it may appear to you on the inside that your server is not working. You may still see the OOMA setup page, for example, when you open a web page and type in your home page's address. To test the setup, you'll need to go outside your network and see if it works. Call a friend and ask her to try it, try the server from work, use your cell phone to test the page or go to a web "proxy server" to test it. There are ways to trick your computer into letting you see what the server shows to outsiders, but that's more than the three easy steps I promised.

Good luck!