Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#38654 by cpaul_ct
Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:50 am
Hi,

Woke up this am and found my ooma unresponsive. Only the 1 & 2 lights are lit - everything else is dark and I don't have any dial tone.

I've tried unplugging it and letting it sit, but same thing when I turn it back on.

Ideas?
Thanks!
#38715 by bw1
Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:23 am
Assuming you have internet connection, you can try one of the following:

1. Unplug your modem and Ooma Hub. Wait 30 seconds. Plug in the Ooma hub. Wait 30 seconds. Plug in the modem.

2. Same as above, but when you plug in your Ooma hub, hold down the Ooma tab on the hub.
#38922 by cpaul_ct
Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:07 am
Following the latest Telo firmware to be released, I have found my Ooma Telo to
be bricked since 12/24.

The only lights on the face of the device are the 1 & 2 lights. Everything
else is dark. On the rear, I only have a link light on the two network
ports, no activity lights. My internet service is operating normally (cable
modem -> router -> ooma). All other computers are able to surf the web. I
am an IT support person myself, so I am aware of how these things should
work and have run through the basic troubleshooting steps - the device
appears bricked.

I am also unable to obtain an IP through the Home network port. It simply
gives me the 169.x.x.x self assigned IP

Anyone have any ideas how to revive it? I've contacted support, but they told me it would be 24-48hrs before someone got back to me.
#38931 by Groundhound
Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:24 am
Are you able to see your Telo in your router's configuration as a connected device? That is, is the Telo's modem port being assigned an IP by the router?
#38936 by Dennis P
Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:35 am
When you reboot your Telo, does it get stuck immediately with just the 1 and 2 lights turned on, or does it go through the full initialization sequence where the top row of keys light up, then the middle row, then the running lights on the bottom row of keys before it gets stuck with the 1 and 2 keys lit up again?

The logs for your device show that it was upgraded successfully on 12/23. The last logs I see are on 12/27. Sometimes the box may have problems booting with a flakey network cable. Try swapping the cable and/or the router/switch port the Telo is connected to.
#38941 by cpaul_ct
Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:50 am
Dennis,

Thanks for replying!

It gets stuck with just the 1 & 2 lights turned on.

I have swapped the network cable and port on the router that it is plugged into with a known cable and port that is working. Same outcome.

I was able to get it online last night (27th), but when I woke up this morning it was dead again. I wiggling on the network cables in the ports had something to do with it coming alive for a little while. I'm not exactly sure.
#81887 by MJE
Sun May 22, 2011 10:35 am
I am having the same problem... stuck in boot-up with just blue 1 and 2 lit up. On the phone with Ooma customer support and they don't know either. They are guessing something between a permanent corruption of the hardware (which means i have to buy a new Telo) to just let it sit and it may fix itself overnight.

Did you ever get your Telo running again?

Thanks
#81888 by thunderbird
Sun May 22, 2011 11:25 am
MJE wrote:I am having the same problem... stuck in boot-up with just blue 1 and 2 lit up. On the phone with Ooma customer support and they don't know either. They are guessing something between a permanent corruption of the hardware (which means i have to buy a new Telo) to just let it sit and it may fix itself overnight.

Did you ever get your Telo running again?

Thanks

Try connecting a corded phone connected directly to the Phone port of the Ooma Telo and listen for Ooma dial tone.

Next:
Press the Light button, top row, center position on the face of the Ooma Telo and see if other symbols light up.

Next:
Temporarily connect the Ooma Telo using a network cable from the Ooma Telo Internet port, directly to the Modem. Reboot the Modem, when the Modem is done booting, reboot the Ooma Telo. Listen for the Ooma Telo Dial tone.

Next:
Connect a network cable, connected from the Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer. Reboot the computer. With the Ooma Telo booted as far as it will go, try typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open.
Click on Internet at left side. Behind Connection Type: select Automatic.

Go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address:
Change from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update Device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done rebooting, reboot your Ooma Telo or Router (whichever is next in line), when that device is done rebooting, than reboot the next device in line.

Next:
If your Ooma Telo still doesn't fully boot, let it boot as far as it will boot. Try typing http://www.google.com in your computer browser window, with the computer still connected with a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of the computer. If you can access the Internet (see the Google page), sometimes Ooma can start things from their end. You have to call Ooma Customer Service to have them see if they can start the Ooma Telo service from their end, if you can access the Internet through the Ooma Telo Home port.

The Ooma Telo has a one year warranty period. If your Ooma Telo is with the one year warranty period, Ooma will send you replacement unit postage prepaid and will also send a prepaid shipping label to send the defective Ooma Telo back.

Also if you purchased your Ooma Telo with a credit card, sometimes the credit card company extends a purchased item's warranty for up to two years. It's worth checking, if these conditions apply to you.
#81898 by MJE
Sun May 22, 2011 2:18 pm
Thunderbird,

Thanks for all the suggestions... unfortunately after going through the entire list, I still have a Telo that just has the blue "1 & 2" lit with no dial-tone being offered anywhere.

I am going to let it sit overnight and see if anything changes like the CS rep suggested... but i doubt anything will be different in the morning. That means i am heading to a store tomorrow to buy anohter unit.

Pisses me off that the hardware would just die like that (especially since it is only 3 months out of warranty) but I am still paying less than i would be with AT&T. While I am a little frustrated with Ooma right now.... I still have a deep burning hatred for AT&T!!

Thanks again!