Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#38617 by anaxos
Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:53 pm
Happy holidays to all of you.

Today I received the TELO system but so far I have not been able to make it work.

Here is my situation.

1. My house has a basement, a ground floor and a first floor.
2. In the basement I have a COMCAST cable with a modem and a wireless router. In the basement there are no telephone jacks. So all my computers at home icluding the printer are using the wireless to work, and they all work fine.
3. At the ground floor and the first floor there are many telphone jacks and there two land lines through qwest and I have three cordless phones.

So after looking at the instructions I received I could not figure out how to make it work. I called tech support at OOMA but I did not get any definite answers. It was try this or try that.

Any help of how to make this work is greatly appreciated.

Anaxos
#38717 by raxxal
Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:33 am
I read your post but I could not figure out what your problem is, the TELO works fine connected to a WiFI router, or you can use Homeplug devices. Regarding OOMA tech support, they are not that great, and this make me a little nervous. I am looking 8 months of services to break even.
#38738 by Groundhound
Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:31 am
anaxos wrote:Happy holidays to all of you.

Today I received the TELO system but so far I have not been able to make it work.

Here is my situation.

1. My house has a basement, a ground floor and a first floor.
2. In the basement I have a COMCAST cable with a modem and a wireless router. In the basement there are no telephone jacks. So all my computers at home icluding the printer are using the wireless to work, and they all work fine.
3. At the ground floor and the first floor there are many telphone jacks and there two land lines through qwest and I have three cordless phones.

So after looking at the instructions I received I could not figure out how to make it work. I called tech support at OOMA but I did not get any definite answers. It was try this or try that.

Any help of how to make this work is greatly appreciated.

Anaxos

How do you have Telo connected to your modem & router? Did it download the initial update?
#38750 by anaxos
Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:20 am
Let me see If I can describe the problem again.

Let us say that I have connected the OOMA TELO in the basement with the router and the WiFI. How is it going to communicate with the cordeless phones I have on the ground floor?

Furthermore the cordless phones on the ground floor are connected to the two landlines with quest. So do I disconnent the qwest lines? or can I have the two different services of OOMA and Qwest go through the same cordless phones?

Anaxos
#38755 by bw1
Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:22 am
First, when you activated did you select to use your existing phone number or did you select a new phone number?

In step 2 of the Telo instructions, you should have followed the instructions to connect between your modem and router (option 2A) or behind your router (2B).

Then in step 3, you have to plug the base station of your cordless phone into the phone port of the Telo.

You can't connect the landline to the same cordless phone except by connecting it through the Telo wall port and that will only work if you selected to use your existing phone number (landline) with the Telo during activation.
#38762 by anaxos
Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:11 pm
That is exacty the problem.

I have asked for a new line (I do not want to use the landline yet until I transer the phone #). So if I do put the OOMA Telo in the basement (that is where is the modem and the wireless router are) with the cordless base then I will have to go down to the basement every time to get voice mails, etc. Am I wrong in this assumption?

I see that there is somehing called the homeplug, which will allow me to have the TELO in the kitchen as well as the base of the cordeless telephone, but I need to investiaget further to make sure that the device works as I think it should work.

Anaxos
#38773 by southsound
Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:17 pm
You can easily check your voice mail by calling your Telo number. If you call from a cordless phone connected to the Telo, it will go directly to voicemail without needing to enter a pin.
#38792 by ifican
Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:47 pm
Alot of folks trying to help but no one getting to the answer. You can use your internal wiring but you have to disconnect that from the local telco loop. You could also if available wire the jack next to the telo and a jack on your ground floor with different colors than you are currently using (without disconnecting from your telco) or you can get a new dect phone. Heck come to think of it there are lots of options you just need to decide what you want to do. Could also run a cable from your model to where you want the telo, use your electrical line (needs adapters to do this). There are many on this forum using their internal wiring, i myself just went out and bought new dect phones. One connection to the telo all the rest are wireless back to that base station and it all works great. Hope that gives you a little more direction.