Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#38296 by Lee
Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:04 am
I know this has been discussed but I could not find the right answer after a couple of searches.

Got an email from Ooma saying my port will be complete on the 28th. I currently have my landline connected while waiting for the port as I am using my existing number. Once the port is complete:

SET UP: Cable with Premier svc.

1. I recall something about re-booting the telo. Is this correct and is that just a matter of unplugging it?

2. Where do I now plug the phone?

3. I want to use my house wiring to send calls to other non-Ooma phones so they will have caller ID. I recall something about needing an Ooma device to plug into my house wiring. Is this correct and where do I get one?

4. Is there anything I need to do after the port that I did not mention?

Thanks guys,

Lee
Last edited by Lee on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
#38297 by murphy
Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:22 am
On the day of the port disconnect your phone company wiring at the network interface box which is usually on the outside wall of the house.
Disconnect the phone wire that goes from the house wall jack to the wall jack of the Telo.
Connect a phone wire from the house wall jack to the phone jack of the Telo.
The Telo is now feeding your house wiring and all phones connected to it should work.
If you need to connect a phone where the Telo is located, use a standard phone splitter to provide the connection either at the wall or at the Telo.

Without an integrated land line the wall jack on the Telo is not used for anything.

No other hardware is required.

You will not have phone service for about 6 hours on the day of the port. Plan accordingly.

If you have an alarm system that uses a phone line, the above will disable the alarm system from being able to call in.
If that is the case, the wiring becomes slightly more involved.
#38314 by Lee
Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:12 am
Thanks, Murphy. I'm glad you mentioned losing svc for about 6 hours that day as I do not recall reading that anywhere and would have thought there was a problem. I don't have an alarm so that won't be an issue. There is no need to re-boot the Telo?
#40492 by Lee
Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:43 pm
Murphy,

I finally got the line splitter and hooked the Telo up per your directions. Unfortunately, I did not get a phone signal at the other jacks in the house. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks
#40494 by murphy
Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 pm
Lee wrote:Murphy,

I finally got the line splitter and hooked the Telo up per your directions. Unfortunately, I did not get a phone signal at the other jacks in the house. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

Are your house phone lines disconnected from the outside world at the Network Interface Box which is usually on the outside wall of your house?

Did you plug a standard splitter into a wall jack?
Did you connect a phone cable from the Phone jack of the Telo to one side of the splitter?
Did you connect your local phone to the other side of the splitter?
Does the local phone have dial tone?
#40565 by Lee
Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Hey Murphy. Thanks for the quick response.

1. Yes, I disconnected the Qwest landline in the phone box on the outside of the house.

2. No, I did not plug the standard splitter into a wall jack. I plugged it into the phone jack on the back of the Telo. One side of the splitter is the phone line from the phone itself. The other side of the splitter is the phone line from the wall jack. I get a dial tone on the phone next to the Telo but not in the phone jacks around the house.
#40570 by murphy
Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:46 pm
Lee wrote:Hey Murphy. Thanks for the quick response.

1. Yes, I disconnected the Qwest landline in the phone box on the outside of the house.

2. No, I did not plug the standard splitter into a wall jack. I plugged it into the phone jack on the back of the Telo. One side of the splitter is the phone line from the phone itself. The other side of the splitter is the phone line from the wall jack. I get a dial tone on the phone next to the Telo but not in the phone jacks around the house.

That works also. It sounds like you will have to check out the wiring in your house.
Is it home run wired (each outlet is run to a central wiring point) or is it daisy chained from outlet to outlet?
#40573 by tommies
Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:03 pm
If it's daisy chained then it should work right off.

I guess it Home run(aka star topology) This way, you need to connect all the wire at the "star" i.e. at the DEMARC box outside

murphy wrote:
Lee wrote:Hey Murphy. Thanks for the quick response.

That works also. It sounds like you will have to check out the wiring in your house.
Is it home run wired (each outlet is run to a central wiring point) or is it daisy chained from outlet to outlet?
#40623 by Lee
Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:10 am
Thanks, guys. I have no idea how it's wired. I guess the best solution for me is to get a wireless setup and just put the handsets in different rooms.