Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#38246 by AStack75
Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:34 pm
I have a Comcast Telephony Modem, an Ooma Telo, and a Linksys Wireless Access Point Router (BEFW11S4).

My Ooma and internet works fine when I have it setup like this...
CABLE MODEM --> WIRELESS ROUTER --> OOMA

When I set it up like the recommended Option 2A...
CABLE MODEM --> (To Internet Port) OOMA (Home Network Port) --> (WAN Port) WIRELESS ROUTER
...the Ooma works fine but I have not internet connectivity on my computer.

Any ideas how to correct this? I'm sure it's probably something simple that I'm screwing up.
#38262 by dtalwar
Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:10 pm
I agree with Leeway ... a lot of us on the forum use our Ooma devices (Telo and/or Hub) behind the router. I certainly prefer it that way, letting my router do what it is supposed to do --- routing and QoS.
#38394 by AStack75
Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:23 am
I just wanted to bump this thread. This router is old and isn't capable of QoS. So back to my original post. Anyone know how to use Ooma with a Linksys BEFW11S4 router in the "Cable Modem-->Ooma-->Linksys" configuration?
#38432 by Groundhound
Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:27 am
AStack75 wrote:I just wanted to bump this thread. This router is old and isn't capable of QoS. So back to my original post. Anyone know how to use Ooma with a Linksys BEFW11S4 router in the "Cable Modem-->Ooma-->Linksys" configuration?

First go to setup and change "MODEM Port MAC Address" to "Use Built in" on the Advanced page. Connect the Telo's modem port to your Comcast modem and then reboot the modem and then the Telo. If that does not work reset the modem by pressing the red button on the back (I think most Comcast telephone/modems have a reset).
#38526 by raxxal
Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:24 pm

My Ooma and internet works fine when I have it setup like this...
CABLE MODEM --> WIRELESS ROUTER --> OOMA

This is more or less my setup,too, but instead of a wireless device, I have a Netgear SW, and OOMA works fine.

When I set it up like the recommended Option 2A...
CABLE MODEM --> (To Internet Port) OOMA (Home Network Port) --> (WAN Port) WIRELESS ROUTER

If I use this setup, I have to renew the computer IP address from the OOMA DHCP server which starts by default at
172.27.35.10 but can be changed manually.

Here is what I do, in Windows I click:

1- Start
2- run CMD(In Vista or Win 7, just click start, type CMD in the search field.) A command line screen will pop.
3- type: ipconfig/release <----This will flush any IP address previously assigned to my computer from my existing router.
4- type: ipconfig/renew <---- This will assigned a new IP address from the OOMA DHCP server.

That's it!

NOTE: If you type ipconfig in the command line screen before you release your IP address, and type ipconfig again after you renew it, you will see that the IP addresses are different.

...the Ooma works fine but I have not internet connectivity on my computer. <---- The steps describe above will cure this problem.

Now, you may ask, why you are not using option 2A? Well, I have another device(Power meter called "The Energy Detective"), and this guy is another router, and it's causing some other issues in my home network.