Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37912 by knhokie
Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:14 am
I have the ooma hub, Verizon dsl, and a backup landline. I plugged a splitter into the wall so that one phone cable goes to my dsl modem and one goes to my ooma jack labeled "wall". My ooma system and internet connection work fine. When I unplug my ooma hub, as expected I hear my Verizon dial tone. I attached a screenshot from the manual that depicts the setup I'm using.

I understand all outgoing calls will go through ooma as long as my power is on and the internet is working. However, I was expecting my phone to ring if someone called my verizon number, but it does not. Can someone tell me if I'm correct and if there is something else I need to do?

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
setup.jpg
Setup I'm using from manual
setup.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
#37916 by murphy
Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:35 am
Did you integrate your land line or just attach it as a back up? In the latter case you would have gotten a new number from Ooma. Note that you must keep the DSL signal from reaching the wall jack of the hub.
#37921 by knhokie
Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:53 am
I did not port my landline number, I'm just using it as a backup. My new ooma number is now our primary number.

Note that you must keep the DSL signal from reaching the wall jack of the hub.

So I need a dsl filter between the cable that comes from the splitter in the wall to the "wall" jack on the hub? I hadn't tried that. When I unplugged the hub, the landline sounded good with no static, so I assumed the filter wasn't needed. I can try it though.

Thanks.
#37927 by murphy
Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:43 am
Without integration the land line is a separate phone line and needs it's own phone. In the event of a power failure the phone connected to the hub (assuming it's not AC powered) will use the land line to get a dial tone. Otherwise your land line and the ooma system are two separate phone systems. All calls made from the Ooma phone use the Ooma network. The Ooma hub does not respond to a call coming in on the land line. This is the way I operate except I don't have the land line connected to the Ooma hub at all. I don't see any point in the power failure fallback since I can just as easily use the phone connected to the land line. In fact it's the same phone. I use a Panasonic 4 line cordless phone system that is connected to an UPS so a power failure has no effect on the use of the system.
#37928 by knhokie
Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:54 am
You answered my question. I'll just keep a separate phone plugged into the wall for a while since we still get some calls on it. I'm using a UPS too, so power failure isn't much of an issue for me either.

Thanks for your help.
#40329 by user2
Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:28 pm
I have the same problem. I need to use the existing line (VOIP) until the number is transferred together with ooma line on the same handset. I tried to connect the VOIP line to the "wall" jack on the ooma hub but It seems that is not possible to have the calls forwarded to the "phone". Bummer!