Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37467 by syzrmn
Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:32 am
I have an Apple iMAC with an Airport wireless router. I have charter cable service which uses a Motorola router. Before getting the OOMA phone the eathernet cable from the Motorola router went into wireless router and everything worked fine. When I attempted installing the ooma phone as described in the instructional booklet the Airport Extreme light began to blink amber and I would receive messages that the Airport needed to be configured.
Also, when I turn off my computer the Airport, OOMA phone and cordless phone are turned off as well. Is this because they are all connected to the same surge protector or for some other reason. Does the computer have to be on all the time?
Let me know when you get a chance.
Thnak you.
Al
#37475 by daet
Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 am
syzrmn wrote:Also, when I turn off my computer the Airport, OOMA phone and cordless phone are turned off as well. Is this because they are all connected to the same surge protector or for some other reason. Does the computer have to be on all the time?
Let me know when you get a chance.
Thnak you.
Al

This doesn't sound normal; unless you have one of those new energy saving "smart" autoswitching power strips with a master/control outlet that controls power to the other outlets - something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-LCG3-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1260986570&sr=8-2.

If you do, it would not be a good idea to use it for your Ooma and cordless phone.

I had purchased one for my home entertainment center, but it didn't work for that purpose. The biggest draw of power during standby was the satellite receiver - so there was no point in plugging it into the control outlet. When plugged into one of the other outlets, it took long to "boot up". I would imagine a similar situation with the Ooma hub/Telo.

DG