Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37453 by reggiealex
Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 am
I'm new to Ooma Telo and I just got my number ported--and it works great. I have not canceled AT&T yet but would like to do so but I have ADT Alarm and I'm a little weary of losing my home alarm system. From what I've been reading ADT may or may not work but in order to get my alarm plugged into the Ooma telo I need to have home distribution. My telo is downstairs and alarm upstairs

Here's my question: Do I just unplug something outside my home (telco I believe) and then plug Ooma into any phone jack and then I have home distribution? Does this now allow my alarm to get a dial tone and be tested? Or do I need to cancel AT&T first before doing this?

Also with home distribution it says I will lose many features. Can I run a splitter to the wall phone jack and to a wireless phone base and still get the features--I'm planning to get the Telo handset but just wanted to ask.
#37456 by murphy
Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:16 am
To use ooma with an existing alarm system you disconnect the incoming telephone line from your house and connect the ooma phone jack to the point where you disconnected the outside line. This is absolutely required for the alarm system to be able to capture the phone line in the case of an emergency. The alarm system also needs to be programmed to precede the alarm company's phone number with *99 pause. The method of entering the * and the pause is dependent on the alarm system. You would also need the installers code for the alarm system to make the change. In most cases this will require a service call from your alarm company to implement.
#37461 by reggiealex
Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:39 am
Just to make sure I understand. I open the box outside my home and disconnect the line coming into my house and connect the Ooma system into that same disconnect on the outside of my house. So Ooma will be connected on the outside of my house correct?
Now does this give me Home Distribution?
#37465 by murphy
Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:14 am
If your outside box is the type that has a standard phone plug connected to a standard phone jack, you unplug the phone plug to disconnect from the phone company lines. The phone company is connected to the jack. Your home wiring is connected to the plug. If you can locate where that wire comes into the house, you can make the connection inside of the house. If you do this, put a warning tag on the outside plug that it is not to be reconnected or internal equipment can be damaged. There may be more than one plug / jack combination in the box. Mine has two. Make sure you get the correct one.

The result of this is the ooma line will go to the alarm panel first just as it did with the phone company line in place. The rest of the house is fed from the output line of the alarm panel. All jacks in your house should have dial tone.
Last edited by murphy on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
#37588 by dustydaniels
Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:58 am
FYI....I just installed an IP Adapter Card (TL-150) in my DSC Alarm Panel (Tyco/ADT Brand). It connects to your router (plugged into a UPS) and transmitts signals over your internet connection eliminating the need for a landline. This method should be supported by your Alarm Monitoring Service, the other way most likely will not. Be sure to check!
#39075 by taolsen2003
Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:18 pm
I have an alarm with monitoring service that calls out on the land line. I did as suggested, connected the output from the ooma to where the Telco jack was disconnected where the landline comes into the house. I get no dialtone on my phones.

The ooma does work, calls and receives calls when a phone is plugged into the "phone" jack on the ooma. I checked to be sure the wire connecting the "phone" jack on the ooma to the Telco jack is a working wire. It runs one phone fine. I cannot figure out why I am not getting phone service on all the jacks that are normally working when that lindline is connected to the Telco jack.

Another poster, separate topic thread, suggested wiring the ooma directly to the RJ31 jack at the alarm box. I guess I can try that next, but it seems like the effect should be the same.
#39076 by southsound
Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:26 pm
The network interface box where you are connected typically has a jack (female) and a short cord with a plug (male). In some newer interface boxes, the wire has been replaced with a hinged plug. The jack goes to the telco source - in other words it is set up so if you think you have a problem, you can plug a phone into the jack and test for dialtone from the telco. It is the plug that goes to your home wiring. If you are going to connect your ooma here, you will need a coupler to connect your phone wire to the jack. Or, you can do a direct connection to the pair of wires that goes to that plug - usually they are blue/white or red/green. You could also go direct to the RJ31X - in that case, you want the T and R terminals. The T1 and R1 terminals feed the phones in your house so they are controlled by the alarm system. In case of an alarm report it disconnects your phones so a burglar could not disable your alarm by just picking up a phone.

And welcome to ooma and to the forum!
#39077 by taolsen2003
Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:40 pm
southsound wrote:The network interface box where you are connected typically has a jack (female) and a short cord with a plug (male). In some newer interface boxes, the wire has been replaced with a hinged plug. The jack goes to the telco source - in other words it is set up so if you think you have a problem, you can plug a phone into the jack and test for dialtone from the telco. It is the plug that goes to your home wiring. If you are going to connect your ooma here, you will need a coupler to connect your phone wire to the jack. Or, you can do a direct connection to the pair of wires that goes to that plug - usually they are blue/white or red/green. You could also go direct to the RJ31X - in that case, you want the T and R terminals. The T1 and R1 terminals feed the phones in your house so they are controlled by the alarm system. In case of an alarm report it disconnects your phones so a burglar could not disable your alarm by just picking up a phone.

And welcome to ooma and to the forum!

My NIB is the type that has a short cord with a plug (male) coming from the Telco side. This is plugged into the jack (female) on the house side. I disconnected this, and connected the ooma to the female jack (house side). I believe this means I do not have the "newer interface box." It sounds like the next thing to try is to connect 2 of the wires from the ooma line directly to either the connections inside the NIB or to the RJ31X . Is there any way to tell which 2 wires they are? Because there are 4 wires in the line that is plugged into the "phone" jack on the ooma I believe? thanks.
#39078 by murphy
Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:51 pm
The jack (female) is NOT the house side. It is the Telephone company side.
You must connect the ooma phone jack to the plug(male).