Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37410 by Syd
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:03 pm
I had checked, before buying the Hub, that my connection was up to snuff, and now it appears not to be able to handle the phone AND keep a DSL connection. Briefly, the phone tab turns blue and the phone gives that Ooma distinctive ring indicating a valid connection, and then after about 30 seconds, the DSL light on the modem goes out (and I see red indicating: "the Hub is unable to detect if a phone line is plugged in")--until I remove the phone from the "Wall" socket on the Ooma (I want to use my landline number, as is) and then the DSL connection is automatically restored . I'm using a relatively new D-Link ADSL Modem.
Any ideas anyone? I've tried all manner of combinations--and no cigar, so far. Syd
#37414 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:13 pm
Syd wrote:I had checked, before buying the Hub, that my connection was up to snuff, and now it appears not to be able to handle the phone AND keep a DSL connection. Briefly, the phone tab turns blue and the phone gives that Ooma distinctive ring indicating a valid connection, and then after about 30 seconds, the DSL light on the modem goes out (and I see red indicating: "the Hub is unable to detect if a phone line is plugged in")--until I remove the phone from the "Wall" socket on the Ooma (I want to use my landline number, as is) and then the DSL connection is automatically restored . I'm using a relatively new D-Link ADSL Modem.
Any ideas anyone? I've tried all manner of combinations--and no cigar, so far. Syd

There should not be a phone connected to the wall port on the Ooma Hub. When you activated your Hub, did you choose to integrate a landline (I hope not)? If not, does your Ooma and DSL work OK with nothing connected to the wall port - don't worry about the Scout yet.
#37419 by Syd
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:47 pm
Thanks Groundhound for the prompt reply.
Sorry, I meant to say: "--until I remove the phone from the 'Phone' socket...." And yes, I did choose to integrate my landline, was that not a good idea? Can I now change that choice if I wanted to, do you know? I had hoped to reduce my Phone account to a basic cheapo account (my dslextreme account depends on the ATT account being active), and continue using my existing number and cordless phone equipment.
Syd
#37421 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 pm
Before you make any changes, what do you want your landline phone for? I know you have DSL associated with it, but other than that, how would you prefer to use your landline with Ooma?
#37425 by Syd
Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:35 pm
I had a bad experience recently when I ported my number over to Vonage from ATT. I was totally unaware that I'd lose my DSL (which is not from ATT) and as a result Vonage couldn't work either--so I was without phone and internet for some considerable time! I'm, therefore, cautious--and for simplicity (setting Ooma up hasn't been simple, so far) I'd like to keep my landline and not risk any outages. Basic phone service I believe costs approx. $15/month, dslextreme $18/month. To date ATT long distance alone totals out at $60/month! I could save $40+ a month (if only I could get ooma to work). I'm not feeling very optimistic right now, however. But I still haven't given up on finding a solution--I'll give it at least another day before I go and attempt a return at Costco.
If Ooma works as I chose (with integrating my landline) then, after some testing, I could consider alternatives to ATT, though I'm not sure what those alternatives would be.
Syd
#37426 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:51 pm
Does your DSL provider sell a "dry loop" service - that is DSL without a phone line? If so you could separate the DSL service from the phone service and eventually port your number over to Ooma and drop the old phone service. If no dry loop service is available, then the options are to try to get integration to work or simply keep your landline separate from Ooma. Keeping the landline separate is less troublesome, but you would need to have your landline number forwarded to your Ooma number so you could receive calls on the phones connected to your Hub. If you decide to go that way you would need to ask customer service to remove integration and you would then have an Ooma number to make outbound calls on.

Edit: If you are not concerned about keeping your old phone number, the options become more simple. You could just keep your landline as a backup and for DSL, and use Ooma for all in and out calls.
#37428 by Syd
Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:32 pm
Thanks for spelling out the options. I'd really like integration to work, as that would well suit my needs. Do you have any troubleshooting suggestions that might make that happen?
I don't believe that my current dsl provider sells dry lines (I'm sure they would have suggested it during the ATT/Vonage fiasco that I mentioned). Vonage had suggested (more expensive) dsl providers that would, but I decided to stay with what I knew worked.
I could consider contacting customer support to remove integration, but I'm not confident that would then work--if integration won't.
But if I did get a separate number and wanted my landline number forwarded to my Ooma number, doesn't that mean I need to pay for a Premier account?
Thanks for enduring, thus far,
Syd
#37429 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:39 pm
Syd wrote:Thanks for spelling out the options. I'd really like integration to work, as that would well suit my needs. Do you have any troubleshooting suggestions that might make that happen? We can give that a shot, but you will need to provide more info about your setup. What DSL modem model? Does it have an integrated router or do you have a separate router? How is everything connected? What kind of phone are you using?
I don't believe that my current dsl provider sells dry lines (I'm sure they would have suggested it during the ATT/Vonage fiasco that I mentioned). Vonage had suggested (more expensive) dsl providers that would, but I decided to stay with what I knew worked.
I could consider contacting customer support to remove integration, but I'm not confident that would then work--if integration won't.
But if I did get a separate number and wanted my landline number forwarded to my Ooma number, doesn't that mean I need to pay for a Premier account? No, but you would need to have call forwarding on your landline account.
Thanks for enduring, thus far,
Syd
#37435 by Syd
Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:07 pm
Modem: D-Link model DSL-2320B. Separate D-Link router. Ooma between. The phone is an old GE 900 Mhz, that I'm using to test the ooma system before transferring the Uniden PowerMax 5.8 Mhz with its 4 handsets. My wife needs the phones working (without me waylaying them for testing purposes).
Groundhound: I'll be back tomorrow, have a good night and thanks for your participation.
Syd
#37436 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:18 pm
So you have the Ooma-supplied splitter plugged into the room's DSL/Phone jack, and then the modem and Hub wall port are plugged into that splitter? From your first post it seemed that everything was fine with the DSL and Internet access until you plugged your phone in, and then the modem went off-line?