Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37382 by newma
Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:45 pm
OK, long story short - many calls to tech support but no resolution. On the last one they indicated that they were opening a ticket and sending it to a higher level. In the mean time I thought I would check here to see if anyone can give me some help.

When I power on the ooma now, the 1 and 2 turn blue for about 20-30 seconds. Then the trash and envelope turn blue for a second or two and the bottom row of lights goes to cycling on and off left to right. That is where it stays (longest run was overnight for 10.5 hours). On the tech support calls, they have had me swap the ethernet cable, disable the firewall on the router/modem, etc. All of this and alls it does is sit there and blink left to right.

This the second Telo for me. The power cord wouldn't stay in the first one. I did get it setup, updated and working. Based on that I don't see the network setup being an issue (this led to a discussion when the tech support wanted me to diable the firewall).

Help!

Patrick
#37384 by murphy
Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:52 pm
Please provide your hardware configuration.
Cable or DSL, ooma before or after router, have you configured ooma to use the built-in MAC address?
Have you power cycled the modem?
Too much detail is better than not enough detail.
#37415 by newma
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:13 pm
I apologize for not giving enough information. I have a business and have a high speed internet connection (T1). The ooma Telo is behind a LinkSys Wireless-G router with SpeedBooster.

I activated the Telo yesterday. It ran for 3.5 hours. I called tech support. I power cycled the unit. It ran for 10.5 hours. I called tech support. I power cycled and changed the ethernet cable connecting it to the router. It ran for a couple of hours. I called tech support. I power cycled and disabled the firewall in the router. I ran for another 3 hours. I called tech support and they are opening a ticket. It has ran for around 5 hours now and still the lights on the bottom row flash blue from left to right.

The setup pages

Home
Your ooma Network is Initializing, please wait...

Internet: Detecting...
Ooma Core: Detecting...

Phone Line: Detecting...

Ooma Services

Phone Setup: We are waiting for your phone line to be configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled

Voice Mail: Enabled

Network Settings
Network Connection: Automatic
PPPoE Options
Username:
Password: **********************
Service Name: (optional)
Static IP Options
IP Address: . . .
Netmask: . . .
DNS Server 1: . . .
DNS Server 2: . . .
Router Address: . . .
MODEM Port MAC Address
Automatic: 00:18:61:04:A5:67 This one is selected
Use Built in: 00:18:61:04:A5:67
Use Custom: :::::
HOME Port MAC Address
Built in: 00:18:61:04:A5:66

Advanced Settings
Home Port
IP Address: 172.27.35.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Configuration
Start Address: 172.27.35.10
End Address: 172.27.35.160
DMZ
DMZ Address:
Quality Of Service (?)
Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): 384 (0 to disable)
Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): 0 (0 to disable)

Port Forwarding
Rule Ports Type Forwarded To
None

Device Status - Rev: 1.32011

Network

MODEM: Connected : [XX.XX.XX.XX]
HOME: Connected : [172.27.35.1]

Ooma Tunnel: Connected

Services

Telephony: Status unavailable !

DNS: 502 - Running

Web Server: 391 - Running

VPN: 666 - Running

Free: 219812

HOME Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:04:A5:66
inet addr:172.27.35.1 Bcast:172.27.35.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2250 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:972 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:477716 (466.5 KiB) TX bytes:319436 (311.9 KiB)
Interrupt:55

MODEM Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:04:A5:67
inet addr:XX.XX.XX.XX Bcast:10.9.7.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:84121 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:81946 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:23339644 (22.2 MiB) TX bytes:6213014 (5.9 MiB)
Interrupt:53
Last edited by newma on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#37432 by oldanbo
Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:02 pm
This may run contrary to my post on another issue.
Have you contacted support with your new Telo mac address? What is shown in my.ooma?
#37442 by newma
Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 am
That is odd. How does the MAC address change. I was under the impression that they were hard-wired into network devices. I will contact them when they get to work and let them know of the change.
#37447 by newma
Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:02 am
Well I tried connecting it directly to the internet. I tried once before, but I didn't change the drop down at the top of the page (Network). I noticed the drop down setting when doing the cut an paste for the above post. After hardcoding the IP and other addresses, changing the drop down to "Static IP Address," It finished whatever update it was doing. Oh, I also changed the QOS "Downstream Internet Speed" to 384.

Now I am up and running! Yeah! My main suggestion would be that they create more documentation for this thing. They could put the troubleshooting steps online. You know, the troubleshooting steps that the people in the Phillipines are reading when you call the tech support number. I could have read and followed them from the internet and saved myself a whole lot of time.

I hope that they continue to improve the device and their processes. ooma on (oh, does that show my age?).
#37532 by oldanbo
Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 pm
newma wrote:Well I tried connecting it directly to the internet. I tried once before, but I didn't change the drop down at the top of the page (Network). I noticed the drop down setting when doing the cut an paste for the above post. After hardcoding the IP and other addresses, changing the drop down to "Static IP Address," It finished whatever update it was doing. Oh, I also changed the QOS "Downstream Internet Speed" to 384.

Now I am up and running! Yeah! My main suggestion would be that they create more documentation for this thing. They could put the troubleshooting steps online. You know, the troubleshooting steps that the people in the Phillipines are reading when you call the tech support number. I could have read and followed them from the internet and saved myself a whole lot of time.

I hope that they continue to improve the device and their processes. ooma on (oh, does that show my age?).

Newma, no comment is all I can say about overseas support. I'm not much better and you resolved it on your own. :D

I have the same problem with the documentation and I'm sure others do as well. My sense is that the products are still evolving and printed docs have too long of a lead time to be 100% accurate. Take a look at newspapers today as an example. This is not to say that I have found ooma's on line documentation to be any more timely. It needs attention as well.

These forums seem to be the best source for problem resolution and information sharing. Although that's of little help to a non-internet savvy person.

Cheers and don't be afraid to share if you see a similar problem brought up by another ooma user.