Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#37025 by salt
Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:21 am
Since I have installed ooma , few times a day my computers cannot connect to the internet, and the ooma Hub light gets red. All get connected again after power-resetting my linksys router.

My configuration: Comcast cable service ->motorola cable modem -> linksys WRT54G router+wifi , firmware v3.03.1 -> ooma and other computers and a switch connected to the router.

From time to time I have received messages of an IP address conflict on one of the PCs. So as to make things more stable I have changed the computers to be on static IP addresses (the ooma still gets its address via DHCP). Still I do need to reset the router from time to time.
After looking at the forums, today I tried reconfiguring the ooma to use built in MAC address on the modem port; also gave that MAC address priority on the linksys so as to improve QoS (I had people complaining on outgoing call quality). And just now I had to reset again. Problem was not resolved.

I do not want to put the ooma in front of my router, as I am concerned of reducing the reliability of my internet connection to my PCs by having one more router on the way. So far looks like ooma hurts this reliability even when it is past the linksys router.

Can anyone help ?
#37033 by murphy
Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:23 am
Make sure that your router is not spoofing it's MAC address. Most routers default to off but if it is on and it decides to change the MAC address because something new connected on the LAN side, the cable modem will block the connection the instant the router reports a different MAC address.
#37042 by t4feb
Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:56 am
I have had the same problem every since Atlantic Broadband decided to change modems. I had bought my own modem a few months ago and things ran just fine. I received a message in the mail from Atlantic BB telling me I need to bring my modem down and exchange it for one of theirs because mine would no longer work with there service. Well make a long story short I did and they gave me there modem in exchange for mine and have had problems every since with internet going out at least once a day. I have to reboot modem and router and sometimes that won't even work. I called the support at Atlantic and they said its on my end. So I change routers and disconnect the booster and still the same problem. What a freaking nightmare.

Atlantic Broad Band Modem = Motorola cable modem 5100
My modem was a Linksys CM100 cable modem
New Router = Linksys RVS4000 Gigabit Security Router with VPN
Old router = Linksys WRT54G 4 port wireless
ooma = Hub & Scout
#37056 by allo
Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:16 am
salt wrote:Since I have installed ooma , few times a day my computers cannot connect to the internet, and the ooma Hub light gets red. All get connected again after power-resetting my linksys router.

My configuration: Comcast cable service ->motorola cable modem -> linksys WRT54G router+wifi , firmware v3.03.1 -> ooma and other computers and a switch connected to the router.

From time to time I have received messages of an IP address conflict on one of the PCs. ...



I looks like your router is the culprit! WRT54G ARE NOT THE MOST RELIABLE !
I would switch to a better one: WRT54GL with preferably other firmware than the one from Linksys; ie.Tomato.
#37072 by salt
Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:49 am
Guys, thanks for the responses.
murphy - do you mean I should < Disable > the MAC Address Clone and use a < User Defined Entry > ? Somewhere I read that for cable I DO have the cloning enabled... not sure if this is true.

allo - do you mean the hardware of the WRT54G is not reliable? Also - in my situation (where wi-fi strength is not necessarily and issue) - is there any advantage to the newer linksys routers vs the WRT54GL ? ... for example WRT54G, or WRT120N or WRT 160N ?
#37073 by murphy
Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:07 pm
You want to disable MAC cloning and use the router's default MAC address.
#37097 by allo
Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:26 pm
salt wrote:...
allo - do you mean the hardware of the WRT54G is not reliable? Also - in my situation (where wi-fi strength is not necessarily and issue) - is there any advantage to the newer linksys routers vs the WRT54GL ? ... for example WRT54G, or WRT120N or WRT 160N ?


I am no expert in Routers... all I now is that I had (still have it in a closet ... what a wasted $50!) WRT54G and it gave me the same problems as you describe and more... so I did some searches and read some reviews.
WRT54G is a watered down version of the original 54GL ( literally...half the Ram/mem and cant be flashed with a good Firmware like Tomato (linux) ... by the way the L stands for Linux); and finally linksys brought back the 54GL due to the many complaints they had with the 54G junk! It usually costs $20 more ($60-$65).
Since I switched to the 54GL and flashed it with Tomato firmware 6 months ago, all of the problems disappeared.

As far as the new N routers , I don't know; but from what I have read, they are not worth the extra money, and they have issues/problems and not much of an improvement (except that somebody with the know how might be able to tap/connect into your network... because of the increase in the transmitting distance. )
#54856 by geo999
Thu May 06, 2010 6:08 am
murphy wrote:You want to disable MAC cloning and use the router's default MAC address.

Murphy - so far this suggestion has worked to stop my Ooma from endlessly cycling from on to off. I am curious as to exactly what MAC cloning has to do w the Ooma. My understanding from Linksys was that MAC cloning enablement was recommended as part of the setup for the router. Hope you have time to explain. Have been working on this problem for the last 2 weeks. Ooma support was worthless.

George

P.S. Can't thank you enough as I was unable to rely on Ooma :) for it's intended purpose.
#54857 by murphy
Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 am
geo999 wrote:
murphy wrote:You want to disable MAC cloning and use the router's default MAC address.

Murphy - so far this suggestion has worked to stop my Ooma from endlessly cycling from on to off. I am curious as to exactly what MAC cloning has to do w the Ooma. My understanding from Linksys was that MAC cloning enablement was recommended as part of the setup for the router. Hope you have time to explain. Have been working on this problem for the last 2 weeks. Ooma support was worthless.

George

P.S. Can't thank you enough as I was unable to rely on Ooma :) for it's intended purpose.

A long time ago cable companies recorded the MAC address of your one and only computer to validate your connection.
Then routers became popular and the "brilliant" router designers gave the router the ability to use the computer's MAC address (spoof) to fake out the cable company. Meanwhile the cable companies switched to using the cable modem's MAC address to handle authorization. Apparently this change is unknown to the router designers. There is no good reason for a modern router to need to be able to spoof a MAC address. Ooma, in their infinite wisdom, comes along and makes MAC spoofing automatic instead of an off by default option.

Ooma could save themselves a lot of grief if they deleted spoofing from the box entirely. There is no need for it at all

Cable modem's memorize the first MAC address to register following power on. They will ignore requests from any other MAC address. This is how the cable company prevents you from grabbing more than one IP address from them unless you are paying for more than one.

Ooma connects to the cable modem using it's built in MAC address. Sometime later a computer connected to the Ooma tries to access the internet and the Ooma automatic firmware says "Hey I better use the computer's MAC address" and changes it's traffic to the modem to use the computer's MAC address. The modem ignores the Ooma box from that point on.
#54872 by sfhub
Thu May 06, 2010 10:01 am
allo wrote:
salt wrote:...
allo - do you mean the hardware of the WRT54G is not reliable? Also - in my situation (where wi-fi strength is not necessarily and issue) - is there any advantage to the newer linksys routers vs the WRT54GL ? ... for example WRT54G, or WRT120N or WRT 160N ?


I am no expert in Routers... all I now is that I had (still have it in a closet ... what a wasted $50!) WRT54G and it gave me the same problems as you describe and more... so I did some searches and read some reviews.
WRT54G is a watered down version of the original 54GL ( literally...half the Ram/mem and cant be flashed with a good Firmware like Tomato (linux) ... by the way the L stands for Linux); and finally linksys brought back the 54GL due to the many complaints they had with the 54G junk! It usually costs $20 more ($60-$65).
Since I switched to the 54GL and flashed it with Tomato firmware 6 months ago, all of the problems disappeared.

History is a little off. Original versions of WRT54G (V1-V4) had 4MB/16MB and WRT54GS (V1-V3) 8MB/32MB. Then they decided to dumb them down by reducing ROM/RAM and also switching from linux to vxworks. To preserve the previous custom firmware market, they came out with WRT54GL, which is basically a WRT54Gv4 and still running linux.

To figure out which version you have you can look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests