Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#36637 by sundeep607
Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:21 pm
My current installation of Telo, feedsTelo output to wall jack, so I can get all phone outlets to work. In one of the Ooma literature, it states that I cannot plug the Telo handset if I am using home distribution. It is either or option.

I have my modem, Telo, and Router in one room. My main Cordless Phone base is in another room (hence the home distribution). I have a cordless handset that does not require any phone jack, which is in another room.

I am planning to buy the Telo Handset to use the 2nd line, and other neat features. But then I will have to move my main phone next to the Telo base.

Is anyone using the Telo Handset along with their home distribution setup with multiple phones?

Cheers
Sundeep
#36639 by southsound
Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:27 pm
I'm not sure where you are reading that you "cannot plug the Telo handset if I am using home distribution. It is either or option."

This is definitely NOT the case. You can leave your existing distribution as is - with the Phone port feeding the house wiring. Of course, we hope that you disconnected your home wiring from the telco network to avoid problems with back feeding or noise. (You can do this by unpluging the little plug in your network interface box outside your home.)

The Telo handset connects through the builtin DECT 6.0 base that is part of the Telo. Many of us use both wired/cordless base stations AND the Telo handset.

While I'm at it, welcome to ooma and to the forums! :cool:
#36642 by southsound
Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Hay Southsound... Completely off topic, but I sent you some codes... Maybe a raccoon will have better luck with them than a "GIR". :D

Not too sure about that. Lots of traffic to the site, lots of codes up, mine near the top. But I have not had a single code used. A conspiracy person might think ooma has done something to disable them from being used, but if they wanted me to, I'd take them down in an instant. Maybe nobody is buying the Telo's under the program unless encouraged by another user. I'm going to leave things up until the end of the month when they expire, but my level of optimism is sinking. :P
#36643 by sundeep607
Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:42 pm
southsound wrote:I'm not sure where you are reading that you "cannot plug the Telo handset if I am using home distribution. It is either or option."

This is definitely NOT the case. You can leave your existing distribution as is - with the Phone port feeding the house wiring. Of course, we hope that you disconnected your home wiring from the telco network to avoid problems with back feeding or noise. (You can do this by unpluging the little plug in your network interface box outside your home.)

The Telo handset connects through the builtin DECT 6.0 base that is part of the Telo. Many of us use both wired/cordless base stations AND the Telo handset.

While I'm at it, welcome to ooma and to the forums! :cool:

Thanks. That helps. So the Handset is a cordless phone that works off the Telo base?

I might have misinterpreted the instructions. It might be that I cannot plug a phone to the phone outlet of Telo and at the same time plug the Telo to the wall for home distribution.

Yes, I have already unpluged the POTS from the network interface box outside. the home wiring is all isolated.

Thanks again.
#36644 by Aveamantium
Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:43 pm
Ahh man, I didn't even notice the fine print that says the offer expires the end of December... Oh well, hopefully at least one of yours gets used!
#36646 by southsound
Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 pm
sundeep607 wrote: Thanks. That helps. So the Handset is a cordless phone that works off the Telo base?
Yes. The DECT 6.0 base is built in and requires no other connections. Your Telo handset will offer you use of the instant second line, a simultaneous call when someone is on the other cordless phones, and even a separate phone number you can dedicate to the Telo handset. Of course, both of these features require Premier.
I might have misinterpreted the instructions. It might be that I cannot plug a phone to the phone outlet of Telo and at the same time plug the Telo to the wall for home distribution.
Nothing should be plugged into the wall port. It is only used if a person wants to integrate their existing landline (not something I ever recommend)
Yes, I have already unpluged the POTS from the network interface box outside. the home wiring is all isolated.

Thanks again.

You are most welcome!