Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Jay521
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by Jay521 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:14 pm

I purchased a Telo unit brand new and was having problems with loose fitting ac adapter and loose main board. I requested an RMA two weeks ago and my replacement unit arrived today. The unit is obviously refurbished or previously used.....not what I was expecting after paying $250 for a new one. The stickers on the box were opened and the unit looks like it was used and placed back in the box. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I keep my brand new one and deal with the issues or take my chances with someone else's used unit. I am so disappointed in how Ooma seems to have fallen since I first became a customer. Two weeks to receive a used/refurbished unit is also unacceptable. I guess it's more principle to pay $250 for a new unit only to get a refurb in it's place.... :(

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by southsound » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Jay521 wrote:I purchased a Telo unit brand new and was having problems with loose fitting ac adapter and loose main board. I requested an RMA two weeks ago and my replacement unit arrived today. The unit is obviously refurbished or previously used.....not what I was expecting after paying $250 for a new one. The stickers on the box were opened and the unit looks like it was used and placed back in the box. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I keep my brand new one and deal with the issues or take my chances with someone else's used unit. I am so disappointed in how Ooma seems to have fallen since I first became a customer. Two weeks to receive a used/refurbished unit is also unacceptable. I guess it's more principle to pay $250 for a new unit only to get a refurb in it's place.... :(
I can totally understand your frustration. I would also be more than upset if I had a similar replacement for a unit that was poorly assembled at the factory. I could have more understanding of their replacement policy if it was a product failure after 6 months or so, but even then, the unit should be cosmetically perfect and the replacement should not take 2 weeks when we are talking about something as vital as your telephone device. In this case it is an obvious manufacturing defect. ooma should replace the unit with a brand new one. No questions asked. This was the fault of the manufacturing process and an out of spec part. Why should you be penalized?

I wonder if sending Dennis P or Bobby B a PM would bring resolution? (use the little envelope below their name in any of their many posts). I am also sure that most of us on the forum would love to know what happens. I bought my hub/scout from Costco and if it had happened to me I can assure you that I'd be sending the replacement back to ooma and getting a refund for the original from Costco.
Last edited by southsound on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Jay521
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by Jay521 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:43 pm

southsound wrote:
Jay521 wrote:I purchased a Telo unit brand new and was having problems with loose fitting ac adapter and loose main board. I requested an RMA two weeks ago and my replacement unit arrived today. The unit is obviously refurbished or previously used.....not what I was expecting after paying $250 for a new one. The stickers on the box were opened and the unit looks like it was used and placed back in the box. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I keep my brand new one and deal with the issues or take my chances with someone else's used unit. I am so disappointed in how Ooma seems to have fallen since I first became a customer. Two weeks to receive a used/refurbished unit is also unacceptable. I guess it's more principle to pay $250 for a new unit only to get a refurb in it's place.... :(
I can totally understand your frustration. I would also be more than upset if I had a similar replacement for a unit that was poorly assembled at the factory. I could have more understanding of their replacement policy if it was a product failure after 6 months or so, but even then, the unit should be cosmetically perfect and the replacement should not take 2 weeks when we are talking about something as vital as your telephone device. In this case it is an obvious manufacturing defect. ooma should replace the unit with a brand new one. No questions asked. This was the fault of the manufacturing process and an out of spec part. Why should you be penalized?

I wonder if shooting Dennis P or Bobby B a PM would bring resolution? (use the little envelope below their name in any of their many posts). I am also sure that most of us on the forum would love to know what happens. I bought my hub/scout from Costco and if it had happened to me I can assure you that I'd be sending the replacement back to ooma and getting a refund for the original from Costco.
Thanks for the response. It's not like I'm dumping on Ooma, I loved this company enough to dump my land line and Vonage service. But since the Telo 'upgrade' I've been dealing with a lot of quality control issues - Telo handset that freezes up constantly and now complaints that callers don't always get my voice mail they hear dead air. This in addition to what I wrote above about the quality of the Telo. I couldn't even answer a call today because the handset froze up and I had to pull the battery. Meanwhile, I missed the call!

I hate to say this, but if this keeps up, I won't have any choice but to go back to landline and pay the bucks. Perhaps this is a case of you getting what you pay for? :cry:

I sent Bobby an email.....

dlong
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:52 pm
Location: Sometime a while back, a caveman used it

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by dlong » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 pm

Wow, I just don't understand what has happed with Ooma. I LOVED this company to the point that I wanted to beta test their products and buy into their public stock. :D This was before October. Something has really been changing. Now, I'm really concerned and also giving some thought into going back to landline. I am also not dumping on the company. It's just that the company seems to be falling apart as though management is taking the money and running. I'm a bit shocked at how the wind seems to be blowing a different direction. :|

raxxal
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by raxxal » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:00 pm

For a new OOMA member, this news is scary! I just started porting my number, and I hope that everyting will be fine. I agree, I don't see many update that I would like to see with the site, also, I don't see issues that would have been addresses some lights-years ago!

allo
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 am
Location: FL

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by allo » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:11 pm

dlong wrote:Wow, I just don't understand what has happed with Ooma. I LOVED this company to the point that I wanted to beta test their products and buy into their public stock. :D This was before October. Something has really been changing. Now, I'm really concerned and also giving some thought into going back to landline. I am also not dumping on the company. It's just that the company seems to be falling apart as though management is taking the money and running. I'm a bit shocked at how the wind seems to be blowing a different direction. :|
3 years from now things will be a lot different from today's technology.

I don't know about investing nowadays in the Auto Industry or Utilities... it is kind of risky with uncertain future!

I can't stand Geigo and its ads either... and now I have to see it here also... sorry, nothing personal.

.

dlong
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:52 pm
Location: Sometime a while back, a caveman used it

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by dlong » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:13 pm

I can't stand Geigo and its ads either... and now I have to see it here also... sorry, nothing personal.
allo, you need your eyes checked buddy... sorry, nothing personal. :o

Dante R

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by Dante R » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Keep it civil, this is your only warning.

doug
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by doug » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:50 pm

southsound wrote:I wonder if shooting Dennis P or Bobby B a PM would bring resolution?
Wow, isn't that a little severe? :) Did you have too many raccoon friends hunted?

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Waited 2 weeks for RMA replacement and it arrived used

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 pm

doug wrote:
southsound wrote:I wonder if shooting Dennis P or Bobby B a PM would bring resolution?
Wow, isn't that a little severe? :) Did you have too many raccoon friends hunted?
Maybe "send" would have been a less misunderstood term. You have to understand that when you are a NICE raccoon the word shoot is never connected with violence. :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Post Reply