Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#36427 by SteelCase
Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:47 pm
1) I had my landline number transferred from AT&T to Ooma - after about 2 weeks the number was transferred and started ringing through to OOMA (actually it went to voice mail until per instructions I rebooted hub and then it rang through).

From other people's experience on this forum, I understood that after the transfer the ATT landline would continue until I called AT&T and separately had them disconnect it (and I assumed that AT&T would just assign another number to my old AT&T line until it was disconnected). But that wasn't my case :( - AT&T disconnected the phone line on the night of the day that my number was transferred to OOMA. I thought I had somehow messed up the phone company's equipment but I just called AT&T and they verified the number was disconnected. Is this normal process? I had wanted to be able to downgrade my AT&T line to a basic service after the transfer but now I hope they won't charge me an activation fee (their business office is closed, I Just talked to the repair line)

2) If I do reactivate my line can I use OOMA scout on the same line as the activated AT&T line?

I have 2 lines and right now my setup is OOMA phone port to line #2 to distribute the OOMA signal through line 2 ports in the house, and OOMA wall port to line #1 to allow the Scout to work in another room. Everything is working perfectly but I wanted the AT&T line to be on line #1 also so that if OOMA dies I have a backup. The instructions are pretty clear that you don't want to have the AT&T dial tone on line #2 where the OOMA phone port is plugged into, but there is no such warning regarding the SCOUT line connection.
#36430 by murphy
Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:55 pm
It is standard procedure for a port to automatically close the account the number was ported from. I don't know why the ooma instructions tell you to call and cancel the account.

The hub to scout communication can be on the same line as a land line as long as DSL is not also on that line.
The hub to scout communication can also be on the same line as the hub's phone port if you have it fed into your house wiring.

All bets are off if you have a DSL signal on any of those wires.
#36432 by oldanbo
Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:10 pm
murphy wrote:It is standard procedure for a port to automatically close the account the number was ported from. I don't know why the ooma instructions tell you to call and cancel the account.

I called and as I have posted elsewhere, the reason why, "trust but verify", it's MY money. Who do you trust with your money?
Everything else murphy stated, I agree with.

The hub to scout communication can be on the same line as a land line as long as DSL is not also on that line.
The hub to scout communication can also be on the same line as the hub's phone port if you have it fed into your house wiring.

All bets are off if you have a DSL signal on any of those wires.
#36555 by hteinlin
Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:09 pm
I am in the middle of number porting from Cox Cable.

And a few days I think 2 days after my Ooma port order, I received an email from COX stating all my phone services removal was processed.

I was kind of concerned because I know if the phone gets cancelled before the port you could lose the number, that and I never request my phone services to be cancelled.

So I called Ooma customer service, they misinformed me that they never cancel the service, that after the number ports, I will have to manually call my phone company. Infact the Ooma email states I would receive an update of the order on the 18th, when I called the rep said they have no response back from my old carrier.

So I called Cox, they informed me the order was due to my port number request. That my line will stay active until the number successfully ports and that estimated completion date is Jan 4th.

Also this is the second time I ported my number. First from AT&T to Cox, where AT&T cancelled phone services automatically after the port, I did not have to do a thing.

How the hell does Ooma not know this? For someone operating a phone service and features, they should know this stuff. I mean it could be just to avoid the chance of the old phone co not cancelling your service, but the reps should be saying ensure your old company cancels your service. Not telling people that service will not be cancelled flat out.