Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#36385 by joaniepie942
Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:55 pm
I just ported my Ooma number on December 7th. I set up the Ooma telo between my modem and router. Everything seemed to be going fine as it booted up, except it never stopped blinking all night. I unplugged and replugged several times this morning. Also, when it is set up between the modem and router and the icon is blinking blue my internet says it is too busy. Called Ooma tested the voip and the resutls were 7.0 ms, .1% packet loss and mos of 3.8. The help person said it had to go to an engineer. I am now trying to set up the Ooma behind the router and the blinking continues.
When setting up behind the router do you just plug the black ooma internet cord into a slot on the router? The instructions do not show how to set up behind the router when it is not an integrated modem/router. Any suggestions.
#36393 by tommies
Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:42 pm
If you want to put it behind the router, connect the network cable (RJ-45 jack) from the LAN port on the router to the INTERNET port of ooma.

Do you have a telephone line plugged in the telo WALL port?

A blinking blue telo, does any one know what it means?
#36413 by oldanbo
Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:52 pm
tommies wrote:If you want to put it behind the router, connect the network cable (RJ-45 jack) from the LAN port on the router to the INTERNET port of ooma.

Do you have a telephone line plugged in the telo WALL port?

A blinking blue telo, does any one know what it means?

It's generally a good idea to reboot everything whenever you change around network connections. So, following tommies advice reconnect modem, router then ooma. In other words remove power from all devices and then apply power in that order.

Cheers
#36492 by joaniepie942
Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:12 am
My phone cord is plugged into a Vtech base with a wireless phone. Does it need to be plugged into the wall port as well?

I presume the RJ-45 jack is the black ethernet cord that came with the Ooma set up. Is that correct? I have rebooted everything and the ooma icon is blinking. I am also wondering if the little internet signal icon should be lit. If I press it the internet connection icon in the top right corner of the ooma it blinks for awhile and then shuts off.

I have rebooted and nothing is happening.
#36494 by murphy
Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 am
That's not an internet icon. It's for paging and registering handsets.
#36503 by Groundhound
Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:06 pm
joaniepie942 wrote:I just ported my Ooma number on December 7th. I set up the Ooma telo between my modem and router. Everything seemed to be going fine as it booted up, except it never stopped blinking all night. I unplugged and replugged several times this morning. Also, when it is set up between the modem and router and the icon is blinking blue my internet says it is too busy. Called Ooma tested the voip and the resutls were 7.0 ms, .1% packet loss and mos of 3.8. The help person said it had to go to an engineer. I am now trying to set up the Ooma behind the router and the blinking continues.
When setting up behind the router do you just plug the black ooma internet cord into a slot on the router? The instructions do not show how to set up behind the router when it is not an integrated modem/router. Any suggestions.

Backing up a bit to get a better understanding of your setup, was your port complete on 12/7 or did you start the process then? If complete and your landline account is now canceled, you should have the following connections for your Telo behind your router.
Ethernet cable from Telo's "To Internet" port to one of your router's LAN ports.
Phone connected to Telo's "Phone" port.
Nothing connected to Telo's "Wall" port.
#36546 by joaniepie942
Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:54 pm
Have been on the phone with Ooma all day. It is almost 9:00 pm CST. Talk about frustrated. When the ooma is set up just as mentioned in the previous posts between the modem and router and only the phone line connected we can access the ooma site at 172.27.35.1 and it says phone is connected and internet is connected and Ooma is trying to configure the phone to my setup. It never happens. Finally at around 7:30 I get a call saying that comcast is the problem with their servers. Get on the phone for 2 hours with them trying to manually set up the IP and DNS per the set up recommened by Ooma to no avail. Come On !!!!!! Really can I be the only person who uses Comcast. You don't have a troubleshooting sheet for this. Unbelievable. Ooma should declare the skill set right on the box to set this up. We are going on day 4.

Has anyone else had these issues or I am I just lucky. Meanwhile my cell phone is running out of minutes while Ooma drags their feet to give me help.
#36552 by Groundhound
Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:42 pm
There's plenty of folks here who run Ooma successfully with Comcast, including me. If you've not already done so, put the Telo in the router's DMZ after having the router assign a static IP to the Telo. This will pass all ports to the Telo.
#36553 by joaniepie942
Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:58 pm
Ok I worked in IT in business for years but not servers/telecommunication. What is the DMZ o the broadband router?
Secondly how do I get the IP per you directions. I have been instructed to do into Control panel and select manual ip and dns and put in the numbers it has not worked so far. I am a neophyte at best at the server telecommunications stuff. I am disappointed that the help line is at my level or less. If that were not the case this situation would have been resolved. We are going on day 4. Also I find it ridiculous to ask a neophyte to try to call Comcast and ask them to help you redirect the server etc when you really don't understand thoroughly what you are doing.