Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#36100 by Davesworld
Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:21 pm
I've been generally pretty happy with the Hub/Scout combo but the Telo is available for 200 in many places so I thought I'd try it and play with it. It arrived yesterday.

The first thing I did was activate it BEFORE plugging it in. Once you plug it into your network, you don't want to be hasty, let it finish updating. The documentation covers this point but is scant on exactly what the lights should be doing so don't do anything else until all the lights are glowing steady blue. This only took about ten minutes here but it is advised that it can take a half an hour.

Ok, now we have a functional Telo with the most recent firmware (quite usable now). I plugged an extra DECT 6.0 base in and made calls to test quality. I called both numbers on my Hub/Scout and what suprised me was how the caller ID already showed my name, in less than an hour after activation? What? Took weeks last time. To start with, I would call my main number which is on my Hub and with one DECT handset from both the telo and the hub's connected phones, I would take one and hold the earpiece up to an ear with the mouthpiece far away, on the other, I talk near the mouthpiece without having that handset up to my ear and alternate. On the listening end, both sounded about the same, yes they sound like phones on clean lines without static, not sonic nirvana as you would think by other's assertions. Really, with such a narrow audio bandwidth per established standards for telephony, how good could it possibly sound? Not FM or CD quality no matter what you use, not gonna happen with any available codec on these systems. Being on the same lan had no unfair advantage as they both still went through Ooma's servers and back again, obviously at twice the bandwidth as a single call on a single telo or hub. I also called my cell phone and did the same unscientific tests. Otherwise you have to rely on the opinions of friends and family and the power of suggestion can skew subjective voice quality with some people.

I too have the easily disconnected plug but I followed Bobby's instructions and fired off an email so I should get another power adapter soon. Really, with the shallow plug design, a retaining tab or something would be the way to go here. I'm not about to return it for something like a loose plug. It just needs to not fall out so easily. Could use this non permanent goo we use to hold things in place at Boeing if need be, it would not leave anything permanent when removed, we call it Elephant Snot.

There is no volume dial, you tap the speaker icon. It has four volume levels, might need more, it really doesn't get very loud when playing messages from the telo itself.

As far as the Telo handset, as of yet I am not interested in it. I honestly think in the future the Telo itself should have two ports to hook to phones or have two lines per jack using all four pins in each port and forgo the landline option or have it as a settable option on one port. Other than the possibility of using the g.722 codec on the telo handset in the future (would require the other caller to have it as well) for HD voice, the features of the Telo handset as well as technology used such as batteries, display, size and so forth, haven't wowed me unfortunately, I'm spoiled by sleek design, smarter charging systems, low battery power draw, a big screen and functionality with the current phone systems I use. What about Bluetooth you may ask? My Vtech 6321 bluetooth phone series is one of two DECT6.0 phone systems on the market that will not only let you answer and make cell phone calls via bluetooth as has been available for some time on many systems, it will also upload the directory from your cell phone to the base. Panasonic has such a model now too KX-TGA939T. PC Contacts synced with the cellphone and then uploaded to the base via bluetooth, sure beats adding via the keypad. It is nice leaving my cell plugged in to the charger while at home in ONE location and simply picking up the nearest available handset to use it or answer it.

OK, if you're still with me and awake, the Telo is pretty and has an ever improving future by firmware upgrades alone. It also already comes with a power supply that can easily be used in other parts of the world possibly saving a trip to Radio Shack.
#36118 by amigajoe
Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:12 am
As I am currently trying to decide between the Hub/Scout and the Telo, I found your post useful - thank you. One question though.

You write:

It is nice leaving my cell plugged in to the charger while at home in ONE location and simply picking up the nearest available handset to use it or answer it.

Is this specifically tied to the Ooma Premier service? The Multi-Ring ?

My situation is this - I like the multi-ring, but I don't want it to ring at home ALL the time, only when I'm there. Is it easy/quick to turn on and off ? (No point in the phone bugging my girlfriend, or more specifically, having her answer calls that are for me) (ATT had at one time offered a charging cradle that automatically forwarded your mobile calls to your home line, without using your mobile minutes, which forwarding normally does - that is essentially what I am looking for)

Whether it is Multi-ring, or something else, is the feature available with the Hub / Scout as well ? (Are there any Premiere features that are available with the Telo that are not available with the Hub/Scout ?)

Thanks
#36154 by Davesworld
Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:27 pm
amigajoe wrote:As I am currently trying to decide between the Hub/Scout and the Telo, I found your post useful - thank you. One question though.

You write:

It is nice leaving my cell plugged in to the charger while at home in ONE location and simply picking up the nearest available handset to use it or answer it.

Is this specifically tied to the Ooma Premier service? The Multi-Ring ?

My situation is this - I like the multi-ring, but I don't want it to ring at home ALL the time, only when I'm there. Is it easy/quick to turn on and off ? (No point in the phone bugging my girlfriend, or more specifically, having her answer calls that are for me) (ATT had at one time offered a charging cradle that automatically forwarded your mobile calls to your home line, without using your mobile minutes, which forwarding normally does - that is essentially what I am looking for)

Whether it is Multi-ring, or something else, is the feature available with the Hub / Scout as well ? (Are there any Premiere features that are available with the Telo that are not available with the Hub/Scout ?)

Thanks

Sorry, I may have confused you with the Bluetooth. This is actually a feature of my Vtech DS6321-3 I just purchased. I was mentioning it because the directory upload feature that is supposed to be possible with the Telo handset may do something like this but would only be useful on a telo handset.

The multi ring can be set up to ring any other phone simultaneously including cell phones. As far as being disturbed, a feature of premier in all cases is a do not disturb feature. You can also forward all your calls to any number you want as well.

I really can't see any difference in premier regardless of whether you use the hub or the telo. The only difference is the equipment required to make a second simultaneous phone call, the Hub requires a scout and a phone hooked to it and the telo requires a telo handset. The biggest issue I see is that the hub is already becoming less available.
#36156 by amigajoe
Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:34 pm
Sounds like I'll just end up forwarding my mobile phone to my home (Ooma) phone when I am home. (The primary reason being that my mobile phone coverage is horrible in my house - nobody wants towers in their neighborhoods)

I'll also probably end up just going with the Hub/Scout, which I picked up for a great price yesterday.

Thanks