Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35967 by tjkirk
Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:53 am
Hi folks,

After various fits and starts with getting the Telo working properly, all is working well thanks to the good folks at Ooma (including Dennis, of course) and we've made the giant leap to getting our landline number ported to Ooma. The number port happened much quicker than I anticipated (~ 1 week) and I'll be landline-less this Tuesday the 8th, so now I' in a mad scramble to hook up the Telo to the Telco box for home distribution to see if I can make the landline-dependent devices still work properly. These include:

DirecTV Tivo Series 2 (Hughes) this is an older model, so I don’t think it has Ethernet or wireless capability
Caddx Ranger 8980 alarm system (monitored by ADT) this is also an old system; probably installed ~1995

I know the official Ooma recommendation (as well as the approached recommended by many in these forums) is to just keep the basic landline service for these devices. However, Verizon wants to charge me ~$30/mo for just a basic landline, which is just too much.

I've read most, if not all posts, in this forum pertaining to this topic, as well as other forums on VoIP in general. While I realize getting the above systems to work with my Telo is hit or miss, I'm going to give it my best shot. Here's my plan for action, where I've tried to summarize my learnings from various forums/posts:

Home distribution
1. Call ADT and let them know I'm mucking with the landline which is used to monitor the alarm
2. Unplug the Telco feed from the outside box; I've already identified this as just a plug
3. Verify the landline feed is disconnected by checking for a dialtone from a landline jack; if no dialtone, I'm good
4. Connect a new phone cable from the PHONE jack on the Telo to the house distribution plug in the telco box
5. Check to make sure there is Ooma dialtone distributed to all house jacks

Now for the hard part...

Alarm system
6. Call ADT back and see if alarm monitoring is working (it probably won't be working right...)
7. Program in a dial prefix such as *99. Not sure if I can do this from the keypad or whether ADT can do this remotely?

DirecTV Tivo
8. Do a test call from the setup menu if see if successful.
9. If not successful, try various prefixes such as “*99”, “*99,,”, etc

I’d welcome any add’l suggestions you have in getting this to work. Thanks, Tim
Last edited by tjkirk on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
#35969 by murphy
Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:02 am
tjkirk wrote:4. Connect a new phone cable from the PHONE jack on the Telo to the jack in the telco box

The Telo phone jack goes to the plug in the Telco (NIB) Box. The jack is connected to Verizon's line.
#35975 by tjkirk
Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:21 am
Murphy, thanks for the correction, makes sense. So, I connect the line I unplugged from the telco box to the line to the Telo. I guess I can just use an in line cord coupler for this?
#35977 by murphy
Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:38 am
tjkirk wrote:Murphy, thanks for the correction, makes sense. So, I connect the line I unplugged from the telco box to the line to the Telo. I guess I can just use an in line cord coupler for this?

Correct.
#36153 by tjkirk
Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:26 pm
OK, I tried things out based on the steps I listed. I disconnected both Line1 & 2 plugs from the NIC box, connected the Telo to Line 1 plug and all jacks get the Ooma dialtone. I did a test with ADT monitoring and they still receive the alarm signal just fine, no need to change dialing settings, etc.

I had less luck with the Directv Tivo. I tried about every dialing prefix recommended in these and other forums and no luck. I called DirecTV and they said that I may need to slow my dial speed (same as for FAX capability) through my VoIP provider. So, now I'm wondering if this is possible with Ooma, and how I do this?

Thanks,
Tim
#36155 by murphy
Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:31 pm
You don't need to slow down your dial speed, you need to lower the baud rate that the DirecTV box uses to connect to their system. Should be available on a phone setup menu for the DirecTV box.
#36157 by tjkirk
Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:49 pm
Thanks Murph. I checked the phone settings on the DVR to see what I can change. Here's what I have:

Dialin Number
    Dial Prefix
    Call Waiting prefix
    Tone/Pulse Dialing [tone/pulse]
    Availability Detectio [On/Off]
    Dial Tone Detection [On/Off]

Underlined values indicate what I have currently selected. I don't see anything for a baud setting, etc.

Tim