Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35895 by SCmmaFAN
Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:54 pm
I have installed my Telo in between my DSL modem and Netgear router. Everything appears to work ok (still trying to understand the QoS stuff) but I had a question about this setup. If the Telo goes out, acts up, service down, etc. will that propagate to the router and not allow internet access through the router unless the Telo is functioning 100% correctly?
#35900 by Groundhound
Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:14 pm
Depends on how far "down" it goes. It is possible to lose connection with Ooma's servers while still allowing connection to the Internet, but those circumstances are rare and usually brief, once you are initially setup and everything is working. During a reboot of the Telo you may notice that you have Internet access before the reboot completes, which can take several minutes. If this is a real concern you should put the Telo behind your router and configure QoS in the router.
#35914 by SCmmaFAN
Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:09 pm
Thank you for answering all of my question so far!

I just wanted to make sure the internet would work with my router if the Telo or Ooma service was down for any significant amount of time. Also, I wanted to make sure the internet did not have to wait for the Telo to completely boot up as it does take several minutes. If not, my wife would freak out if everything went down at once and stayed down because of a problem with the Telo or Ooma service.

Thanks again!