Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35819 by swapped
Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:30 pm
Ok,

Here is my setup
1) Cable Modem-->Ooma(hub)-->Router all powered off same power strip.

When I kill the power and turn it back on the ooma will not connect. I let it sit for about a 15 min and nothing. If I unplug the modem and ooma nad then plug in the modem, wait for it connect and then plug in ooma it connects right away.

I have also tried this setup
2) Cable Modem-->Router(DMZ)-->Ooma this works great if i plug them in in that order, but fails if i turn off and on the power strip.
I would like to stick with setup 1 and want everything to come back after a power fail.

My router always connects fine to the modem if i turn them both off at the same time and turn them on.

How do i make this work correctly? Is there a power up delay setting or something?
#35822 by oldanbo
Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:52 pm
swapped wrote:Ok,

Here is my setup
1) Cable Modem-->Ooma(hub)-->Router all powered off same power strip.

When I kill the power and turn it back on the ooma will not connect. I let it sit for about a 15 min and nothing. If I unplug the modem and ooma nad then plug in the modem, wait for it connect and then plug in ooma it connects right away.

I have also tried this setup
2) Cable Modem-->Router(DMZ)-->Ooma this works great if i plug them in in that order, but fails if i turn off and on the power strip.
I would like to stick with setup 1 and want everything to come back after a power fail.

My router always connects fine to the modem if i turn them both off at the same time and turn them on.

How do i make this work correctly? Is there a power up delay setting or something?

Dude what does your pc do when you yank the power cord and then plug it back in? :P

Your response in setup 1 is correct.
Your response in setup 2 is also correct.

It all needs to be re-booted/powered up in the sequence that matches your setup.
Your responses seem to correct, if you are hoping for an "automagic" , (I love that word), fix......I'm not sure it will happen now if ever.

If that is your biggest complaint, consider yourself blessed. Aside from that... does it work? Are you happy with it?

Cheers
#35928 by swapped
Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:56 pm
oldanbo wrote:Dude what does your pc do when you yank the power cord and then plug it back in? :P

Your response in setup 1 is correct.
Your response in setup 2 is also correct.

It all needs to be re-booted/powered up in the sequence that matches your setup.
Your responses seem to correct, if you are hoping for an "automagic" , (I love that word), fix......I'm not sure it will happen now if ever.

If that is your biggest complaint, consider yourself blessed. Aside from that... does it work? Are you happy with it?

Cheers

Well funny you ask, because my pc (acts as an ftp server and proxy) is also plugged into that power strip. And when I power it down without shutting down and then plug it it comes back to life and everything works great when ooma is not the setup. It even works fine when ooma is behind the router (which is how i left it for now) because somehow my router manages to connect just fine without ooma there (why can't ooma)?

I dont think i'm asking for anything crazy; its not automagic. My vonage ata worked just fine like this.

I guess i should get a UPS for it and hope for no outages longer then then UPS can handle.

Other than that, Ooma is working great.
#35931 by swapped
Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:18 pm
Groundhound wrote:Try this with configuration 1: go to http://setup.ooma.com and then to the Network page. Change "MODEM Port MAC Address" to " Use Built in" and click update. Now reboot the modem and see if that helps.

Thanks, I will try this. I read about this in several posts right after posting my question. I must have somehow missed this when going thru all the options.
#35932 by oldanbo
Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:28 pm
Now I wonder what you're using for an OS. I'm pretty sure I've unplugged a few pc's while they were running, plugged them back in, and the pc did nothing without some action on my part.

Actually today's hardware and OS's are more robust than the last time I tried that.

But, I'm glad that aside from that you like the ooma service. I know that I have already recouped my investment and I've only had ooma for about 8 months.

I second your thought regarding the UPS, even if you loose power it will give you a chance to save any open files and shut down in a normal manner. I realize that you would have to be there.....on second thought maybe not. What with the capabilities for remote access now. The battery finally gave up on the UPS that I had the ooma and cable modem plugged into darn it. Isn't Christmas coming? I better let the Mrs. know. ;)

Best regards
#35952 by swapped
Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:41 pm
You are right, by default an unplugged pc will not start by itself after you plug it back in. There is a setting in most pcs bios that lets you choose this behavior.

I'm running a stripped down version of xp.

I'd be mainly looking to power the cable modem, omma and router with the UPS - the pc is strictly a small server for when i travel it can turn off if the power dies but a safe shutdown would be nice.

Thanks
#36052 by oldanbo
Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:56 pm
swapped wrote:You are right, by default an unplugged pc will not start by itself after you plug it back in. There is a setting in most pcs bios that lets you choose this behavior.

I'm running a stripped down version of xp.

I'd be mainly looking to power the cable modem, omma and router with the UPS - the pc is strictly a small server for when i travel it can turn off if the power dies but a safe shutdown would be nice.

Thanks

I've been using Tripp-Lite products for years now and I am pleased with them. They have software that will work with their UPS's to safely shut down your pc. Other manufacturers may offer similar options as well.

Thanks for reminding me about the bios settings. I won't run a pc where I live without a UPS, too many power surges, hits and outages.

happy hunting :)