Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35795 by 07pilot4me
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:15 pm
decoupled landline from ooma hub last night:

last night: DL speed 4.5MB/s UL speed .64MB/s
this morning: DL speed 4.5MB/s UL speed .64MB/s

tonight: DL speed 0.4MB/s UL speed .64MB/s

so download speed slowed down considerably but same upload speed. hope this is a ATT dsl problem and not a problem with my setup. any thought???

setup : DSL modem ------->ooma hub------> wireless router buffalo turbo G

help would be appreciated :)
#35798 by southsound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:26 pm
I had a problem with my Qwest DSL about a month ago. All we are able to get on the island is 1.5mb down, 768k up. When I did a speed check my down speed was 220k! I tested my connection directly to the modem and found it was the same. Varied between 220k and 350k, sometimes bouncing up to 1.2mbps! I would suggest you go direct to your modem with your pc and see what is happening. I thought it might be a modem problem so I went to Walmart and bought a new modem. Tried it and had the same results. Never wanting to pay for a service call, I then went outside the house to the demarc box (network interface box) and plugged the modem directly into the telco side. Same problem. So I tried the new modem as well. Just the same. I had been keeping a log of speeds and times by cutting and pasting to MS Word. I called for a service call when I was sure it was not my problem. The tech came out, made some tests and some calls, and about half an hour later found out that the problem was indeed theirs. 3 of 4 trunk lines from our RTE (remote terminal equipment) were down. The entire South end of the island was suffering but no one noticed but me. They had it up to speed in a matter of 4 hours. Testing is good. Showing them it is not your problem is very good. Getting them to fix it for free is priceless! :P
#35809 by maulloa
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:50 pm
I had the same problem as 07pilot4me. I have 1.5M downspeed and about 360K upspeed DSL from AT&T. My download speed dropped down to about 600Kbits on a GOOD day. It was mostly around 200Kbits to 300Kbits. I called AT&T and they came by this morning to fix the problem. The technician disconnected the OOMA phone SPLITTER and connected the DSL modem directly into the wall (no OOMA). My speed is now back to 1.3Megabits down and 300Kbits up. So now the SCOUT isn't working. According to the instructions given by OOMA having the splitter is SUPPOSED to work, but according to the technician, OOMA is feeding the line BACK into the phone line. Is it DOUBLE terminating the phone line thereby dropping my speed?

I may want to add, my DSL line has no dial tone; that is, it's a dry loop. So how do I fix this problem so I can get the second line (scout) working?
#35810 by 07pilot4me
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:51 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Do you have anything plugged into the WAll port of the hub?

Wayne

nothing plugged into the wallport..

i figure i sleep on this hoping it is an AT T problem like southsides past situation

just connected straight from modem, same speed problem.
#35813 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:04 pm
maulloa wrote:I had the same problem as 07pilot4me. I have 1.5M downspeed and about 360K upspeed DSL from AT&T. My download speed dropped down to about 600Kbits on a GOOD day. It was mostly around 200Kbits to 300Kbits. I called AT&T and they came by this morning to fix the problem. The technician disconnected the OOMA phone SPLITTER and connected the DSL modem directly into the wall (no OOMA). My speed is now back to 1.3Megabits down and 300Kbits up. So now the SCOUT isn't working. According to the instructions given by OOMA having the splitter is SUPPOSED to work, but according to the technician, OOMA is feeding the line BACK into the phone line. Is it DOUBLE terminating the phone line thereby dropping my speed?

I may want to add, my DSL line has no dial tone; that is, it's a dry loop. So how do I fix this problem so I can get the second line (scout) working?

The HPNA signal between hub and scout does not play well with DSL on the same wire pair. If available, use the second wire pair in your home's wiring to connect the hub and scout together.
#35816 by 07pilot4me
Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:18 pm
connected computer to modem without ooma in the middle. still same speed..... so i assume its an ATT problem??

"re booted" modem and everything seems fine now. thanks everyone for your feedback!!!
Last edited by 07pilot4me on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#35818 by maulloa
Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:26 pm
The HPNA signal between hub and scout does not play well with DSL on the same wire pair.
If available, use the second wire pair in your home's wiring to connect the hub and scout together.

OK, thank you for that info. And.... how do I do that? I know what two other wires you are referring to WITHIN THE WALL, but what about the OOMA box and the scout? How do I tell the OOMA box AND the scout to transmit/receive via the 'other' two wires rather than the 'normal' ones?
#36557 by maulloa
Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:37 pm
This is a great idea thanks!! I just ordered a couple of them for a dollar each from abccables.com when I get them I'll let you know if they work. I now hope my house wiring is wired for four wires and not just for two. Thanks a bunch Groudhound.