Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35787 by AustinOomaUser
Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:15 pm
Has anyone been able to switch from Hub to Telo, using their existing account, and not have to talk to Ooma Customer Service to make it happen? Ooma is our only phone -- no landline, no cell phone. Is talking to a live person required?
#35829 by southsound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:19 pm
AustinOomaUser wrote:Is talking to a live person required?

It is a lot more effective than talking to a dead one. :P

Just kidding, of course. You will need to contact customer support at 888 711-6662 and tell them what you want to do. I don't know how long you have had the hub but they will not make the change if it has been in service less than 30 days. It should only take them a few minutes to fire up your new system with the old number. Be aware that there will be a charge to reactivate the hub. I think it is about $60, but don't quote me.
#37218 by aidanc5
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:09 pm
Be VERY careful moving from the Hub to the Telo. The installation instructions are only for new users. I assumed (silly me) that I could just switch out the Hub and replace it with the the Telo. Nope, can't do that. You have to call customer service and request that your information is transferred to the Telo.

Customer service was not great. Initially, they told me that I needed to leave the Telo in place (with no service) and that within "24 to 48 hours" my information would be transferred by Tier 3 support. I asked for a supervisor; didn't get one but the rep then told me to put the Hub back in and Tier 3 support would transfer my number to the Telo within 24 to 48 hours but that they would call me as soon as they made the transfer so, in theory, I would only be without service for a very short, though indeterminate, time. That was the best offer. So, that's what I did.

The rep took my contact information and opened a ticket. He never asked for the MAC address of the Telo leaving me to wonder at the magic of Ooma being able to port my account to an unknown device.

So the hub is back in place; my Telo and four new handsets sit idle. We'll see what happens.
#37231 by oldanbo
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm
aidanc5 wrote:Be VERY careful moving from the Hub to the Telo. The installation instructions are only for new users. I assumed (silly me) that I could just switch out the Hub and replace it with the the Telo. Nope, can't do that. You have to call customer service and request that your information is transferred to the Telo.

Customer service was not great. Initially, they told me that I needed to leave the Telo in place (with no service) and that within "24 to 48 hours" my information would be transferred by Tier 3 support. I asked for a supervisor; didn't get one but the rep then told me to put the Hub back in and Tier 3 support would transfer my number to the Telo within 24 to 48 hours but that they would call me as soon as they made the transfer so, in theory, I would only be without service for a very short, though indeterminate, time. That was the best offer. So, that's what I did.

The rep took my contact information and opened a ticket. He never asked for the MAC address of the Telo leaving me to wonder at the magic of Ooma being able to port my account to an unknown device.

So the hub is back in place; my Telo and four new handsets sit idle. We'll see what happens.

If your hub is plugged in to your router via ethernet and you have a spare port on the router....plug the Telo into the spare port on your router. I ran both that way for a while with a pot plugged into the hub and cordless vtech base into the Telo. I am just saying it can work. I don't know if it makes any difference that I have premier service.

Maybe it will even do the initial software download while you wait. Maybe when the Telo tries to connect someone at Ooma will notice and get things moving a little quicker.

I apologize for the whole bunch of maybes in here. Keep us posted if you can.

Regards
#37347 by wat_wacer
Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:38 am
southsound wrote:
AustinOomaUser wrote:Is talking to a live person required?

It is a lot more effective than talking to a dead one. :P

Not true, it would be just as productive if you were a Verizon customer. Seriously.
#37566 by aidanc5
Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:56 pm
Update - still waiting on Tier 3 support to move my account from the Hub to the Telo. Request went in on Monday - Thursday now so it's been over the 48 hours promised by the CS rep. My sense is that most of Ooma's efforts now are on new customers with a Telo.

I will post another update if/when my Telo and new handsets are up and running.
#37601 by Davesworld
Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:47 am
oldanbo wrote:If your hub is plugged in to your router via ethernet and you have a spare port on the router....plug the Telo into the spare port on your router. I ran both that way for a while with a pot plugged into the hub and cordless vtech base into the Telo. I am just saying it can work. I don't know if it makes any difference that I have premier service.

Maybe it will even do the initial software download while you wait. Maybe when the Telo tries to connect someone at Ooma will notice and get things moving a little quicker.

I apologize for the whole bunch of maybes in here. Keep us posted if you can.

Regards

You don't need to worry about premier on the new device. You are only limited by bandwidth of your connection as to how many activated hubs, telos or any ata devices you have on your network and your ability to have several active calls at once. You're mostly limited by how many devices you want to spend money on plus the amount of simultaneous calls versus bandwidth. Personally, I'm limited to how many conversations I can do simultaneously but some of you have large households so it's very possible to have several going at once.

PS: oldanbo are you in the rain shadow?
#37642 by oldanbo
Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:12 am
yes Dave, although you couldn't have told the past day or so. It's a good thing that Boeing flew the Dreamliner Tuesday. It flew right in front of our house twice. What a beauty it is!

Cheers,
Dan
#37703 by Davesworld
Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:17 pm
As far as switching from the hub to the telo, I may do that soon myself. I'm running both at the moment while I evaluate the Telo. I have similar DECT phones on each. I'm also curious as to how the Telo handset will pan out. Ergonomically I wouldn't want to use one full time but it might be ok as a second phone soon.

OT: oldanbo I happen to work on the Everett flightline on the 777 as an Avionics Tech, some of our test flights on it circle the peninsula rather than go to Moses Lake and back. Glad we finally got the 787 up in the air, it's still going to take a while to heal the black eyes we've had in the last few years. The 747-8 which is the first major rework of the 747 in years uses a similar wing as the 787 but larger and it has four 787 type engines and also will fly soon, the first one is in position directly across the ramp from where I work and it looks nice with the new wing and scallop ducted engines as well as longer than previous 747 models. This leaves the 767 as the noisiest airplane on our flightline.
#37722 by traveler
Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:57 pm
so any update on your switch from the hub to the telo? I just put in a request for it today. It does seem like something they should be able to simply do. I have been without phone service for week and now that I have the telo it is a bit irritating that the switch won't happen until the weekend.