Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35744 by tomurphjr
Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:23 pm
Hello all! First post so please be easy on me. I'm sure theses questions have been asked, but I could not find what I was looking for using the search.

I just bought a hub and scout and want to get some ground work done first before I install it, so I have a few question.

I have a cordless phone system with two phones. The main phone base has an answering machine and plugs into a wall jack. The additional phone depends on the main phone base to be plugged in for it to work.

We have the main phone base in the living room and the addition base in the bedroom.

I want to be able to leave the main base where it is (to see/check answering machine), but the modem is in the computer room on the other side of the house where the hub has to be. Is there any way to be able to accomplish this with out running a long telephone wire to the main base?

If I put the hub behind the router, would a wireless bridge work if I plug one end into the router and the other in into the Hub?

I have a scout but really not sure if I need it. I don't plan on having the premier service.

Oh, and I have laminate floors and will not be able to run the cable with out seeing it. My wife will not go for the main base being in the computer room nor have the phone wires exposed running down the hall (I'd rather not see the wire either). She also doesn't want to have to walk back there to check the v-mails (I'd rather not have to either..lol).

I plan on having the telephone's answer machine set to answer on the 4th ring, and the hub set to answer on the fifth ring so i will still be able to use the phone's answer machine.
#35751 by tommies
Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:51 pm
tomurphjr wrote:A jack is close to the main base, but I have a hub not a telo. Would it still work the same?

Basically, yes.

Please note, Inbound DTMF is not supported by the hub, so you cannot access you answer machine remotely. It's suppose to work with telo, but currently not yet.
#35753 by tomurphjr
Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:59 pm
So basically I can plug the hub into the jack near the router in the computer room, then plug the main phone base into the jack it's closest to in the living room and everything should work?
Last edited by tomurphjr on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#35754 by tomurphjr
Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:00 pm
tommies wrote:
tomurphjr wrote:A jack is close to the main base, but I have a hub not a telo. Would it still work the same?

Basically, yes.

Please note, Inbound DTMF is not supported by the hub, so you cannot access you answer machine remotely. It's suppose to work with telo, but currently not yet.

Not really sure what DTMF means but will look it up. I don't care to use the hub as an answering machine so I don't have a problem with that.
#35769 by tomurphjr
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:04 pm
Well I disconnected the external phone line from the house, hooked everything up, and it works great! Seems to have a little static here and there, but will look into it. One thing I'm not liking is the start of the ooma dial tone.
#35770 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:07 pm
tomurphjr wrote:Well I disconnected the external phone line from the house, hooked everything up, and it works great! Seems to have a little static here and there, but will look into it. One thing I'm not liking is the start of the ooma dial tone.

Just one caveat if you're not using DSL, make sure the phone company line is disconnected from your house wiring at the demarc box, usually just requires pulling the short modular cord from its plug inside the box.
#35775 by tomurphjr
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:20 pm
Groundhound wrote:
tomurphjr wrote:Well I disconnected the external phone line from the house, hooked everything up, and it works great! Seems to have a little static here and there, but will look into it. One thing I'm not liking is the start of the ooma dial tone.

Just one caveat if you're not using DSL, make sure the phone company line is disconnected from your house wiring at the demarc box, usually just requires pulling the short modular cord from its plug inside the box.

I did disconnect the line at the wiring box. I called a buddy and could talk for around 5 mins but then it would drop the call. happened twice. He sounded fine for the most part, just a little static. He said it sounded kind of like I was talking down a hallway (hallow sounding) Researching now.