Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35533 by wat_wacer
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:15 am
Hi all i did search but didn't find the answer that i feel applies. I currently have a hub and a landline (not connected together). The hub has its own number from Ooma and its own set of phones. The landline (Verizon FIOS) also has its original number and its set of phones. We are considering going with premier with the included second line and would like to port the existing (old) verizon number to the second line included with the premier package. With the hopes of having the Ooma number as one line and the verizon number as the second line. Then we will "dry loop" our FIOS internet connection and keep it. Is this possible? Thanks
#35537 by ntoy
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:34 am
Hello,

Yes, you can port your 2nd number over provided you have premiere active, the Verizon number can be ported by us, & you keep the Verizon number active with them until the number is ported over to Ooma. Dryloop would only apply if you have DSL service.

Use the link below to see if your number can be ported.

http://www3.ooma.com/phone_numbers.php

If your number can be ported, you can log into My Ooma to process a number port request. Then, you may want to do a follow up call to specify that you want to port your number as the 2nd number on your account.
#35707 by 07pilot4me
Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:53 am
i have a ooma assigned number and also a landline (which i decoupled from the ooma last night)

so far it is working, one option i am considering is to call AT T and get me a second number, assign the DSL to that number and port the original number to OOMA...

question: will both the OOMA assigned number + original phone number work on a hub??? can people dial either number and reach me.... i have a scout which is not being used (i am fine with it this way)..

also with just a hub, i assume that people cannot ring me while on a phone (and another person answers a different house phone), and i cannot make a call when someone is using the phone...
#35711 by southsound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:00 pm
07pilot4me wrote:i have a ooma assigned number and also a landline (which i decoupled from the ooma last night)

so far it is working, one option i am considering is to call AT T and get me a second number, assign the DSL to that number and port the original number to OOMA...

question: will both the OOMA assigned number + original phone number work on a hub??? can people dial either number and reach me.... i have a scout which is not being used (i am fine with it this way)..
Yes, but you would have more functionality if you used the scout on a short cable, (wall port to wall port) because you could access both lines at the same time. Since you are using Premier anyways it would be a virtually free feature. You could either use two-line cordless phones or a cordless base on each device. That's what we did and it works out well. Of course, you want to make sure you are using DECT 6.0 phones and I recommend either Uniden or Panasonic.
also with just a hub, i assume that people cannot ring me while on a phone (and another person answers a different house phone), and i cannot make a call when someone is using the phone...

You will have the traditional call waiting - but only one call can be active at a time without using the scout. Since you already have it, I'd put it to use and make it so I could access both lines. You can also set up the scout so the second line goes directly to it.