Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35510 by 07pilot4me
Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 am
Hi,

since i cannot get my scout to work, i have decided to switch to a Telo (better price with incentives). i just spoke to CSR and she suggested that i have to wait 30 days to make this switch.... has anyone else been able to make this switch and RETURN the hub/scout package (i purchased it at Costco so i think i can)... the CSR was vaguely mentioning a 30 day return policy, but i dont think she is familiar with Costco.

i guess i am asking, once the Account is transfered/attached to the Telo, it is safe to return the hub right?

another question: i have a landline for dish/security, when i discontinued my long distance service i also discontinued caller id/call waiting so we were getting calls without ID...... is it necessary to keep the caller id/call waiting feature if i have a landline + OOMa setup.

thanks so much for everyones help here, i wish OOMA had a stateside support team. :)
#35516 by murphy
Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:07 am
If you purchase a hub and then want to switch to a Telo, you must wait 30 days after registering the hub before they will permit the switch. This is to prevent people from buying the hub to get it's unique features and then returning the hub to the store. Most stores won't take a product back after 30 days. You have to sell or gift the hub to someone else and they pay a $59.95 (I think) transfer fee.
#35517 by bw1
Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:16 am
07pilot4me wrote:another question: i have a landline for dish/security, when i discontinued my long distance service i also discontinued caller id/call waiting so we were getting calls without ID...... is it necessary to keep the caller id/call waiting feature if i have a landline + OOMa setup.

Yes, if you're using Ooma with an integrated landline, then the landline must have caller id to get it on calls.
https://www.ooma.com/support/faqs?tab=features#faq-355

To get call waiting, you need to have Ooma provision Call Forward on Busy on your landline.
https://www.ooma.com/support/faqs?tab=features#faq-363

07pilot4me wrote:thanks so much for everyones help here, i wish OOMA had a stateside support team. :)

There is, but it's not Tier 1.
#35522 by southsound
Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 am
Just a couple of thoughts. Maybe I should have put #3 on top, so consider reading through all of them.

1. There is very little advantage in integrating a landline to your ooma. Note that I'm not saying that the landline isn't a good option, just that you don't need to integrate it. I have a landline, a hub, and a Telo. All are kept separate with no need to integrate. I can use my landline for flawless fax calls, my alarm system, and backup in case the power goes out. Right now I have a feature package on the line but that is only because of my DSL contract making it cost less to keep the full package. I would suggest that you keep your landline at the most basic levels for your alarm and dish needs. Also if you have a fax, it is ideal. If you want to keep your number, add another basic line (to be used with your dish, etc.) then port your first number to the ooma. When the porting is done, you will have access to all the features (using Premier) without needing to add anything to your landline. If you don't care about keeping your landline number, then the port and temporary extra landline are not needed.

2. Most retailers have rather firm return policies. Costco is the exception. There are a few electronic devices that have a strict 90 day return (TV's, computers, digital cameras) but the ooma is not one of them. In fact, that is why I bought my hub through them. If ooma were ever to go away, I could just take my hub/scout back and get a full refund. One month, one year, ten years - it doesn't matter at Costco. You can keep the hub until after you have purchased the Telo, make the switch, and return the hub when you like.

3. I read through your posts regarding trying to get the scout connected. A lot of good advice was given but since there were several contributors each with their own plan, it got a little hard to follow and I don't blame you for giving up. If you would like to have someone talk you through the entire process by phone, send me an email with the subject "scout connection" at oomacodes@gmail.com as I believe the PM system is still down. Include a phone number where I can call you and we'll work things out. I used to work for ATT and PacBell so I think I can get things to work fine for you without having to give up the hub which I personally like better than the Telo.
#35523 by 07pilot4me
Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 am
on the phone with tier 2, still not state side. tellin me that i need to port the number to ooma first?!?!?!? so i had to GUIDE HIM to the FAQ's which say nothing of the sort........

i wonder what tier it is when i get someone who can read OFF script :(
#35527 by 07pilot4me
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:03 am
thanks southsound for the offer, i am at work right now and might take you up on it....

the setup i have now is one i had to get since my scout is not working, dont want to necesarrily revert back to the old setup.

just got off the phone with tier 2, he assigned a virtual number. i tested it and IT STILL DOES NOT WORK. my wife says that when she clicks over to answer a second call all she hears is music (i assume the ooma tone, and the call waiting click)

i want to keep my current number, if i port to OOMA. then i assume (there i go again) that the landline will be assigned a different number??? (and will it matter that i have a different number when communicating with alarm company and dish)

what i have on landline right now (basic flat local service + caller id + call waiting) if i port then i can just have flat local with Caller id/call waiting in the ooma number??/

the costs to the transition to ooma is piling up (router for printer in another room + call waiting/call id + potential $40 for number port). hope i can get this thing to work as intended SOON
#35535 by southsound
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:18 am
07pilot4me wrote:thanks southsound for the offer, i am at work right now and might take you up on it....
No problem. We'll be in church tonight for our midweek service but if you leave the number and when to call tomorrow, I'll be available.
the setup i have now is one i had to get since my scout is not working, dont want to necesarrily revert back to the old setup.
No problem. If we can't get things laid out properly in concept, then no changes will be needed.
just got off the phone with tier 2, he assigned a virtual number. i tested it and IT STILL DOES NOT WORK. my wife says that when she clicks over to answer a second call all she hears is music (i assume the ooma tone, and the call waiting click)
I'm not surprised. But call waiting does work well for many so I am sure it is just the configuration.
i want to keep my current number, if i port to OOMA. then i assume (there i go again) that the landline will be assigned a different number??? (and will it matter that i have a different number when communicating with alarm company and dish)
That is why I recommended the temporary addition of a second line - when you port your number it will disconnect your existing line - and your DSL if you have not made special provisions for it. If you change your number to the new one the telco will give you, you will need to contact your alarm company with the new number. When I changed my number with dish they told me they didn't care.
what i have on landline right now (basic flat local service + caller id + call waiting) if i port then i can just have flat local with Caller id/call waiting in the ooma number??/
If you don't integrate the landline then all the basic ooma features will work with or without extra features on the landline.

the costs to the transition to ooma is piling up (router for printer in another room + call waiting/call id + potential $40 for number port). hope i can get this thing to work as intended SOON
#35571 by 07pilot4me
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:01 pm
thanks 2 southside for letting me call him for tech support:

so i decided that i did not mind keeping my number. will use the ooma assigned number and take call waiting/caller id off the landline. will also call ooma to "disconnect" ooma from the landline...

hope this relieves some of the headaches :D

thanks again to southside for his support