Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35486 by SCmmaFAN
Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:41 am
I set up my Ooma Telo initially by connecting it directly to my router. This was recommended when I initially activated the Ooma Telo. Everything worked fine but when I went to move the Telo in between my DSL modem and my router for the optimized the QoS, the Telo never turns completely blue. It will cycle through like normal but it will get to a point where the Ooma logo just flashes red. At this point the Telo isn't working nor is my router for the internet. When I move the Telo back to being connected to my router it works again. It's ok this way for now but I foresee problems when we are using the internet for heavy downloading and uploading.

One thing I thought of is that the DSL modem has two modes (bridged and something else) that you can use if the modem is connected directly to a PC or if it connected to a router. Is this the culprit? I'd really like to have the Telo between my DSL modem and router since my router doesn't have QoS built into it. Any suggestions?
#35488 by Groundhound
Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:47 am
SCmmaFAN wrote:I set up my Ooma Telo initially by connecting it directly to my router. This was recommended when I initially activated the Ooma Telo. Everything worked fine but when I went to move the Telo in between my DSL modem and my router for the optimized the QoS, the Telo never turns completely blue. It will cycle through like normal but it will get to a point where the Ooma logo just flashes red. At this point the Telo isn't working nor is my router for the internet. When I move the Telo back to being connected to my router it works again. It's ok this way for now but I foresee problems when we are using the internet for heavy downloading and uploading.

One thing I thought of is that the DSL modem has two modes (bridged and something else) that you can use if the modem is connected directly to a PC or if it connected to a router. Is this the culprit? I'd really like to have the Telo between my DSL modem and router since my router doesn't have QoS built into it. Any suggestions?

If your modem was bridged and your router was handling the PPPoE login for your DSL, that could be the reason you are having the problem. So you would need to set you modem to handle the login or in your Ooma's setup you can enter PPPoE login info on the Network page: http://setup.ooma.com with a computer connected to the Telo's home network port.