Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#1930 by ss1974
Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:08 pm
Hi,

I have installed OOMA hub last week and it is working fine. I had AT & T phone connection which I got disconnected last week itself.

I tried following to install ooma scout.

1. HUB connected to modem and the WALL output is connected to telephone jack (previously was AT & T).
2. I connected ooma scout to other telephone jack in the room and through that I connected the phone. (WALL goes to telephone jack and phone goes to phone output)

But I see solid RED light for four voice mail buttons(previous, next, play, stop). What does this mean ? I am not able to make scout work.

Do Scout work if we still have AT & T dial tone in the jack ?

Please help.

please note that I hear dial tone from AT & T when I connect the phone directly to the jack. Is this the issue? I am staying in apartment and hence can't get the AT & T line removed from the main telephone jack.
#1958 by Bobby B
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:15 pm
The Scout works OK even if you have an existing dialtone on the jack. Unfortunately your apartment phone wiring may not support the Scout. This is covered in the following thread:

Thread Link

I'd first check if your Scout works OK when you plug directly into the Hub (e.g. just connect the "wall port" of the Scout directly to the wall port of the Hub). It should turn blue almost immediately. Next, I'd test out if other phone jacks in your apartment work with the Scout or not.
#113714 by t_ooma
Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:27 pm
I have another post to say about this issue, detail instruction: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=245
*** you MUST disconnect the main telephone line to your house from one of the telephone box somewhere outside your house.

Ooma scout is just require for premier service feature. Other than that if we just want to split the line so we can plugin phone around the house where the phone wall jack available, then you do not need scout.
Last edited by t_ooma on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#113715 by lbmofo
Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:09 pm
You are right in that disconnecting house wiring from phone company and distributing Ooma dialtone would make Ooma dialtone available in all your phone walljacks. Scout would do the same for folks that don't want/know to/how to disconnect house wiring from the telephone company. In order to get Ooma dialtone away from your Hub, you just plug wall port of Hub into any walljack and then you plug a Scout anywhere else in the house and you would have Ooma dialtone.

Ooma Scout is a must though for Hub owners if you want to use Premier features such as instant second line, personal number, call screening away from Hub etc.