Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35453 by rss
Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:13 pm
I recently switched from FIOS to Time Warner cable. They gave me a Netgear CDG24G cable modem. I hooked OOMA hub to one of the ports and it was assigned and IP address of 192.168.0.11. I got the blue light, but when I try to make a call I can hear the sound from the phone I am calling but no sound can be heard by the phone that I called, and the line disconnects after 20 secs. I tried adding the IP address to the DMZ on the modem but still nogo. Any help would be really appreciated.
#35457 by Magus
Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:59 pm
If you have a firewall set up in your router and are familiar with port forwarding, you need to open the following ports: UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443 on the Netgear for all of Ooma's voice and data streams.

PS May I ask why you dropped FIOS for TW?
#35540 by rss
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am
Thanks, I will give that a shot this evening.
I was pretty happy with FIOS but recently got a letter from them stating that they will be increasing the price to $60/month (20mbps). I got a deal from Time Warner for $34.99/month for 1 year, no contract (7mbps). $25/month savings is pretty good, so I decided to switch.
#35614 by tommies
Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:13 pm
Many modem default setting to 'On demand', you should double check and change it to 'Always on' if needed.
#35647 by rss
Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:35 pm
I tried to enter all the ports under port forwarding. I could enter everything except UDP 1194 and TCP 53, it just won't add those. I am still having the same issue, I can't hear anything on my cellphone but can hear my voice on the phone connected to OOMA.

I also checked for the on demand feature and it's not currently available. I am wondering if I should connect my dlink router to the cable modem and connect OOMA to the dlink. I hope time warner is not blocking the port.
#35790 by rss
Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:35 pm
I talked with ooma and made me run a voipspeed test and it's appears that I have 93.6% packet loss. They asked me to call time warner and tell them to fix the packet loss issue. I called time warner technical support and they made me run a test and it shows download speed of 14 mbps and upload speed of 480kbps and per them there is no issue and asked me to call back ooma and ask them what needs to be fixed. Do anyone know anything about packet loss? How can this be fixed? Thanks!
#35811 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:52 pm
Google: packet loss voip
You will find much reading material on the subject, and it will better arm you to talk with TWC about the issue. VoIP consumes very little bandwidth relative to most broadband connection's speed - so speed is rarely the issue. Stability is much more important.
#35817 by Magus
Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:19 pm
rss wrote:Thanks, I will give that a shot this evening.
I was pretty happy with FIOS but recently got a letter from them stating that they will be increasing the price to $60/month (20mbps). I got a deal from Time Warner for $34.99/month for 1 year, no contract (7mbps). $25/month savings is pretty good, so I decided to switch.

As long as the "stick it to the consumer" and "let's meet our growth/bonus targets by just increasing prices" attitude continues in these badly run companies, all we can do is play them at their own game and keep changing from one to the other. Imagine if they were clever enough to keep you by keeping to the original price (or reducing it by $.50) rather than spend another several hundred dollars to acquire a new customer to replace your custom. With TWC, you may need a higher level support person who understands with that much packet loss, they should pay you to keep the service. There is no use to 480 kbps of error digits.

Here's the article on ports: http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/al/12652/14888/article.asp?aid=261435&bt=4n. I think you need that UDP1194 for the all important open VPN tunnel. The voice load goes over ports 49000-50000 in UDP, so maybe opening these also, but that UDP1194 is key I think. Why can't you forward/open 1194? What happens when you try?
#35954 by rss
Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:34 pm
For both UDP1194 and UDP 49000-50000 it gives me this error " Status: Invalid Port number input. The port is in used."
Is it possible that since their cable modem has a built in router, it's blocking these ports? I got a motorola SB5100 cable modem from a friend will try to add it. Per TW I will first have to register that with customer service and then they can add the mac address and provision it. I hope this will resolve the issue else I might have to switch back. No home phone for almost a week now.
#35966 by Groundhound
Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:48 am
rss wrote:For both UDP1194 and UDP 49000-50000 it gives me this error " Status: Invalid Port number input. The port is in used."
Is it possible that since their cable modem has a built in router, it's blocking these ports? I got a motorola SB5100 cable modem from a friend will try to add it. Per TW I will first have to register that with customer service and then they can add the mac address and provision it. I hope this will resolve the issue else I might have to switch back. No home phone for almost a week now.

After you connect the SB5100 and get it working, go to http://192.168.100.1 and look at the Signals page. If you can post the info from that it might shed some light on why your connection is so bad.