Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35268 by 5circles
Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:52 pm
I'm testing the Ooma Hub to see if it can integrate well with my small PBX. The PBX is a DSC Communique - no longer made or supported, but a neat system from a company that specializes in security systems. I still have a landline, so I'm able to compare results between the landline and the Ooma.

1. I've been able to feed the Phone output from the Ooma into one of the PBX line inputs. This works pretty well except for Caller ID. I can see the phone number of an incoming call, but the Caller ID log doesn't work. I'm guessing this is just something I have to live with, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

2. Faxing. I can receive faxes on either the landline or the Ooma line. It's been a while since I've set up incoming faxes, and I don't use them often, so haven't tried too hard to get the automatic detection working. But it works fine to manually direct the incoming call to the internal line designated as the fax. Outgoing faxes don't work quite as well. I can select the landline for an outbound fax, using the Analog interface and then to the landline. But that doesn't work for the Ooma. When I try to select the Ooma line through the PBX, I just get a busy signal. The only way it works is to connect the Fax machine to the Ooma Wall port.

3. Is it possible to have more than one Ooma on my LAN? I don't think that Premier will work for me - since the Instant second line needs the Scout or the Telo handset and won't give a line for my PBX. But can I simply buy another Hub or Telo?

Thanks
Mike
#35273 by murphy
Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:13 am
If you have the ooma hub, the scout will work to feed another PBX line. The Telo handset is not compatible with the hub so it is not an option. That said, some people have static problems with the audio from the scout. You can connect two hubs to your router to provide two lines and not use scouts at all. If that is your plan you better move quickly because the hub /scout system is probably no longer in production.
#35280 by hpepper
Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:54 am
[quote="5circles"
1. I've been able to feed the Phone output from the Ooma into one of the PBX line inputs. This works pretty well except for Caller ID. I can see the phone number of an incoming call, but the Caller ID log doesn't work. I'm guessing this is just something I have to live with, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
[/quote]

I too have a small PBX - an Avaya Partner system.

Try swapping the landline with the Ooma line into the PBX, to eliminate the possibility of the line/port of the PBX being the problem of not logging calls - then try some test calls on both lines. It seems strange that the PBX can get the caller ID and not keep it in the log. It sounds like something going on in the PBX to me.

Howard