Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#35785 by sean
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:54 pm
i have the handset, but i am thinking of sending it back and then buying a new one when issues are worked out. my house is decent sized. i have a Dect system of 3 phones that work great with my Telo and have a range even out into the yard. but my Telo is in the basement next to my computer and the Telo handset was intended to be used upstairs as our main phone. it just doesn't have the range to work upstairs even though we are just one room removed from being directly above the Telo base (choppy audio -- in and out working). the Dect phones work great upstairs, but i wanted the Telo handset up there to quickly check voice mails and stuff like that. now, i have moved it down into my office so i can use it a few feet away from the Telo base. not optimal for me, but I have about 2 weeks before i have to send it back. so my fingers are crossed that it can quickly be turned into a wireless phone that can work upstairs where we live much of the time.
#36104 by crizyal
Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:53 am
stocks22 wrote:Not only do the Telo sets not work but the home network port on the Telo unit does not work either.

It's a piece of s**t. The reps don't want to help. They are in the Phillipines and don't care. Your Telo will be trashed by next year and all will want their money back. I do.

I think a class action suit is on tap.

Definitely a TROLL!

I agree with most of what has been said (other than the quoted post). I am a brand new Ooma customer and this is my first VOIP system. All in all I love the Telo. As the system updates, I am impressed with the progression. I am quite concerned with the Telo handset. As has been said here I am not sure that these issues can be resolved with the current hardware. I had made a call into customer service yesterday regarding the battery indicator and the handset freezing and draining the battery. CS seemed to have no idea of the issues that are so common on this forum. They are actually sending me a replacement handset. After reading this thread I feel it will probably be in vain. I guess I will return my handset and go with a higher end cordless model like some of the others. It is kind of sad for me though as the base unit is so cool.
#36108 by Davesworld
Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:58 am
Groundhound wrote:
costanzo98031 wrote:The screen is disappointing and doesn't reflect the same screen marketed on the packaging and website.

IMO, this is the biggest mistake in the handset, and the one that Ooma can't fix in software (I don't think). Expectations of a white-on-black screen instead of the black-on-white screen are bound to be a disappointment for a number of buyers. The fact that they incorporated that "artist conception" into the packaging compounded the error.

Actually, it looks like a decal and I would not be surprised if the model phone used for the promo shots was just a shell with a sticker on it. Bad marketing idea if you ask me.

It would be highly unlikely that software can make it anywhere even close to the decal they used in the promo shot. Using an inset lcd you'll never get it to look like that. The fact that they used an LCD rather than OLED automatically puts this many steps down from what people thought they were getting. If you look, the white letters and black background are on the outer surface whereas the liquid crystal layer in the actual production unit is a good 1/8" inset and flat instead of concaved and certainly not as sharp. It's also difficult to take a black on anything background and reverse it on an lcd of this type, any dark color with light lettering character LCD's usually don't look all that great, they have bleed through issues and need contrast adjustment depending on the angle of view. The only thing that comes to mind with the appearance in the ad and on the box is an Oled display, these are self illuminating, can be very sharp and are not sensitive to viewing angle. The appearance of an Oled just pops out at you. Character lcd's are cheap, that's why we have so many.

And of course the style is certainly not anywhere near the Swanky category. Stick and antenna and a channel knob on it and you have what looks like a Walkie Talkie of the type you get as a pair in a blister pack. I think Ooma should just scrap that design and make a completely different handset or let one of the major DECT Phone makers adapt their handsets to work with the telo base. The telo is sleek, the handset.......... Sigh...................
#36475 by costanzo98031
Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:43 am
allo wrote:
costanzo98031 wrote:...

I am researching for a cordless phone now. Best Buy has a Panasonic handsets, just not sure which one to get. Any suggestions? Also, would want to make sure the voicemail indicator works on any new phone I have.

Panasonic best systems (according to reviews) are:

KX-TG6433M Amazon has this set of 3 for $82 shipped (dark Grey)
KX-TG7433B Amazon has this set of 3 for $89 shipped (black)

I ended up getting the Panasonic Model: KX-TG6413T. They were on sale at Best Buy for $69 (three phones). I choose this model instead of the KX-TG7433B model because it did not include a integrated voicemail system. I didn't want a second voicemail system (one on the phone and with Ooma). The phone's voicemail indicator works too.

The other thing I liked was the array of features the panasonic had. For example, if you store a contact in the phones memory it is automatically shared with all the handsets. The time was also set automatically from caller id. I also found the clarity to be just awesome! There were no issues with range or phone responsiveness ether. When I pick up the handset to place a call it just works.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Ooma Telo and plan to keep this system... it's just that I really needed a working cordless phone solution in my house. So, I ended up returning all three of the handsets I purchased. With my refund I was able to buy this new panasonic phone system, plus with the money left over, get a cool new weather alarm clock and the new Harry Potter Blu-ray DVD.
#36489 by allo
Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:53 am
costanzo98031 wrote:
allo wrote:
costanzo98031 wrote:...

I am researching for a cordless phone now. Best Buy has a Panasonic handsets, just not sure which one to get. Any suggestions? Also, would want to make sure the voicemail indicator works on any new phone I have.

Panasonic best systems (according to reviews) are:

KX-TG6433M Amazon has this set of 3 for $82 shipped (dark Grey)
KX-TG7433B Amazon has this set of 3 for $89 shipped (black)

I ended up getting the Panasonic Model: KX-TG6413T. They were on sale at Best Buy for $69 (three phones). I choose this model instead of the KX-TG7433B model because it did not include a integrated voicemail system. I didn't want a second voicemail system (one on the phone and with Ooma). The phone's voicemail indicator works too.

The other thing I liked was the array of features the panasonic had. For example, if you store a contact in the phones memory it is automatically shared with all the handsets. The time was also set automatically from caller id. I also found the clarity to be just awesome! There were no issues with range or phone responsiveness ether. When I pick up the handset to place a call it just works.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Ooma Telo and plan to keep this system... it's just that I really needed a working cordless phone solution in my house. So, I ended up returning all three of the handsets I purchased. With my refund I was able to buy this new panasonic phone system, plus with the money left over, get a cool new weather alarm clock and the new Harry Potter Blu-ray DVD.

The KX-TG6413 is the same as KX-TG6433... only that it doesn't have an Answering Machine.

#36801 by wtnixon
Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Support multiple handsets already! Quit pushing the release date back! Anymore, and people won't be able to return the handsets if they don't work! What a scam!!!
#36808 by Groundhound
Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:12 pm
wtnixon wrote:Support multiple handsets already! Quit pushing the release date back! Anymore, and people won't be able to return the handsets if they don't work! What a scam!!!

Dennis P announced in this post (http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35575#p35575) that multiple handset support is in beta testing. Obviously the release date has been pushed back several times as they work to quash bugs. There are no doubt a lot of Telos and Handsets sitting under Christmas trees right now, and I expect Ooma wants the Handset to be as bug-free as possible before Christmas. If you are up against a return deadline for extra handsets and you really have doubt that the multiple handsets are going to work, you can always return now and re-purchase later.
#36812 by costanzo98031
Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:41 pm
wtnixon wrote:Support multiple handsets already! Quit pushing the release date back! Anymore, and people won't be able to return the handsets if they don't work! What a scam!!!

They have multiple handsets working in the current beta; however, they still are working out some issues. I would assume they will have something out soon.

If you need a cordless handset to work now with your telo, you might want to consider returning them and repurchase the later.

Ooma is rolling out updates... For example, they just updated their My Ooma site.
#36826 by whn
Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:29 pm
Groundhound wrote:
costanzo98031 wrote:The screen is disappointing and doesn't reflect the same screen marketed on the packaging and website.

IMO, this is the biggest mistake in the handset, and the one that Ooma can't fix in software (I don't think). Expectations of a white-on-black screen instead of the black-on-white screen are bound to be a disappointment for a number of buyers. The fact that they incorporated that "artist conception" into the packaging compounded the error.

yea the screen is DOS style compared to say Windows 7, lol

It nowhere resembles the picture in the box.