Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#34952 by costanzo98031
Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:24 pm
Sorry for the rant - but I am frustrated. I want to stay positive in these forums but feel I need to express my thoughts....

I am very disappointed with the Telo handset. Sound quality is horrible at times. The phone will also lock up and require the battery to be pulled. The battery life drops to 25% after being on a call. Typing a phone number at times will cause the screen to delay.

We are now on a second firmware release and still haven't seen much in improvement. The last update was pushed through with no details to what was fixed. As it is, the phone is un-useable at its current state. Many of the feature that were marketed are not yet working and the timelines for completion are not clear. I understand that many of these features need to be worked through and are not ready, but please understand when a customer buys something they expect a certain level of functionality. I can live with features not being ready; however, I cannot accept the fact that the handset doesn't preform well as a phone.

Yes, at times the handset works; however, most of the time it doesn't. Calls get dropped or the sound is gargled. I know this issue is not with the Ooma system since calls made from a phone connected to the hub sound clear. I find these issues with the handset troublesome and unacceptable. I would hope Ooma will resolve this problem with their product ASAP and set aside rolling out new feature till the main issues are resolved.

I bought in on the Ooma technology based on the feature sets and the positive reviews many of their customers gave. Looking now, I am seeing negative reviews come in on the handset so I know it not me with a single bad device.

Ooma if you are reading this, I think you owe your customers an explanation to why you delivered a handset product that is not living up to the standard your customers come to expect.

Suggestion: Please have your lead engineer keep us informed either by posting in this forum's status section or Ooma's blog. Also, in good faith, you may wish to extend the premier subscription, a month or two.

Again, sorry for the rant
Last edited by costanzo98031 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
#34958 by allo
Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:52 pm
I sympathize with you and I understand your frustration for getting something other than what was promised almost a year ago... at some electronic show early in 2009.
I hope OOMA learned its lesson and stops promising the moon when it cannot deliver on time a FINISHED and FULLY Functional Product!
Furthermore , it seems they are phasing out / discontinuing the sale of the Hub and Scout: most people who buy an ooma are not high tech people, and expect the product they buy to work, without a hitch, as a phone - which the Hub does, but not the Telo/Handset duo.
The telo has been out for almost 2 months now and the problems it has don't seem to have been resolved, from reading the many posts here and on other forums!
Since OOMA doesn't tell how many they sold so far ... I just hope that it hasn't been a disaster.... and that they keep the Hub alive as a viable option in case the Telo turns out to be a complete flop, and a turn-off to many who were considering buying Ooma.
#34959 by southsound
Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:54 pm
costanzo98031 wrote:Sorry for the rant - but I am frustrated. I want to stay positive in these forum but feel I need to express my thoughts....

I am very disappointed with the Telo handset. Sound quality is horrible at times. The phone will also lock up and require the battery to be pulled. The battery life drops to 25% after being on a call. Typing a phone number at times will cause the screen to delay. ...

Suggestion: ... Also, in good faith, you may wish to extend the premier subscription, a month or two.

So exactly how will putting lipstick on a pig help our user experience with the handset?? :P
#34963 by costanzo98031
Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:08 pm
"So exactly how will putting lipstick on a pig help our user experience with the handset?? "

It doesn't... but take this for consideration... I don't know if you recall when Apple rolled out MobileMe... but when it first came out, the email service was real bad. They had serious problems delivering on what they promised. They even lost customer's data. The whole role out was a disaster and customers were pissed. Apple took a few important steps - one their president came out and acknowledged the problems and stated they would make it a priority to fix it, second - they posted daily updates on a website to keep customers informed. Finally, they offered to extend subscriptions to customers who were impacted by the poor rollout.

My suggestion to Ooma is to first acknowledge the problems and recognize the frustrations it is causing their customers. I would also suggest they keep us informed on what is being fixed and when. I think this would go a lot further than putting lipstick on a pig.
#34965 by oldanbo
Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:31 pm
costanzo98031 wrote:"So exactly how will putting lipstick on a pig help our user experience with the handset?? "

It doesn't... but take this for consideration... I don't know if you recall when Apple rolled out MobileMe... but when it first came out, the email service was real bad. They had serious problems delivering on what they promised. They even lost customer's data. The whole role out was a disaster and customers were pissed. Apple took a few important steps - one their president came out and acknowledged the problems and stated they would make it a priority to fix it, second - they posted daily updates on a website to keep customers informed. Finally, they offered to extend subscriptions to customers who were impacted by the poor rollout.

My suggestion to Ooma is to first acknowledge the problems and recognize the frustrations it is causing their customers. I would also suggest they keep us informed on what is being fixed and when. I think this would go a lot further than putting lipstick on a pig.

Wow costanz, I understand your being disappointed with the handset (many of us are). But I personally don't think the analogy to moblileme is all that accurate. There are issues with(about) this handset but I think that the primary ooma service is pretty darn good.

YMMV and I'm not trying to diffuse the handset concerns. I sure can tell that you upset about it. Maybe ooma can too and I hope that ooma can resolve the issues to the satisfaction of their customers.

Just a quick point, too many background activities here, if ooma was to offer us a free lifetime premier subscription, would that make you feel any better about the handset issues.

Wouldn't work for me, that's the pig in lipstick analogy.

gotta run

Cheers
#34967 by southsound
Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:54 pm
southsound wrote:
costanzo98031 wrote:Suggestion: ... Also, in good faith, you may wish to extend the premier subscription, a month or two.

So exactly how will putting lipstick on a pig help our user experience with the handset?? :P

I should probably explain what I meant by my comment. First off, I love the ooma concept. The people are awesome. The hub/scout "core" system is stellar. I am getting more and more excited about the Telo with each software update. But unfortunately, the Telo handset is not what many of us expected or wanted in a cordless product. If you look at ooma's other products and the subperb "art" that went into delivering them (design by Astro Studios, outstanding platform for new features, ground breaking business model) you can see that no expense was spared in the products - with the exception of the handset.

For the $49 price they could have included an organic LED screen. They could have added either bluetooth in the handset or added a headphone jack. They could have forgotten about the HD audio thing (only works when both parties have Telo handsets) and allowed 6 handsets. What about using a battery technology that would keep us talking nearly forever like the current DECT 6.0 phones? No amount of free Premier will fix the problems with the handset.

When I worked for NeXT we had breakthrough optical-magneto technology that allowed read/write access to a removable disk. Steve Jobs envisioned that people would take their world in their backpacks (on their M/O disk). The only problem was that the NeXT system used Mach - a Unix-like product that needed a lot of RAM to run some of the most innovative programs ever. Since RAM was very expensive in thoe days, data was swapped of to the M/O disk - just like systems do today. Only problem was that the M/O disk had an 85+ ms access time and it took 3 processes to write to the disk - erase, write, verify. Can you say SLOW? All the lipstick in the world would not fix it. We had to put a 40 MB swap disk in every system we had sold. And that was when a 40 mb drive cost $340! Those who know the rest of the history of NeXT remember that it later became a software only company and was purchased by Apple when Steve went home. But when NeXT ilaunched it had the best user interface of any system. It was also elegant - magnesium case by Frog Design; Megapixel screen. Kind of like ooma.

I just don't want ooma to go the route of NeXT or many of the other wonderful Silicon Valley innovators who lost it all because of a few dumb mistakes. In my mind, the handset leaves a LOT to be desired.
#34980 by costanzo98031
Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:18 am
southsound wrote:For the $49 price they could have included an organic LED screen. They could have added either bluetooth in the handset or added a headphone jack. They could have forgotten about the HD audio thing (only works when both parties have Telo handsets) and allowed 6 handsets. What about using a battery technology that would keep us talking nearly forever like the current DECT 6.0 phones? No amount of free Premier will fix the problems with the handset. .

I agree with you on that Ooma could have produced a better handset and no amount of firmware fixes or lipstick on a pig could address these issues. I think we are past that... My only concern now is can they make the handset work like a phone so I dont have to return three of them to best buy? So far two attempts to correct the phone's software failed. Poor battery life and range issues maybe tied to the choices they made when manufacturing the product. I am not an engineer so I cant say. The screen is disappointing and doesn't reflect the same screen marketed on the packaging and website. I would also like to use the second line feature, online phone books as well as have a centralized phone system that can be controlled via the handset... That is why I purchased the premier package. But if the fundamental problems are tied to the equipment and not software this would be good to know now. What is the point of subscribing to a premier service if the majority of the features you plan to use don't work.

I think it's a fair expectation that customers be told what is being done to solve these issues and if they are tied to software or the actual hardware choices made.

I think once the holiday shopping honeymoon is over and people start using the handset there will be a major outcry to solve these issues. I could go as far as seeing retail store outlets dropping their products should a flux of returns come in from unhappy customers.

Again, what I am asking is for Ooma to acknowledge the problem and communicate their plans to resolve it.
Last edited by costanzo98031 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#34986 by stocks22
Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:13 am
OOMA sucks, period. Handsets are not working. I can't add one because it thinks I have several and customer service either lies or hangs up. One dude said he'd call be after a reboot, never did. Second guy acted like he was in mid conversation and then the call dropped off. Third guy acted like he could not hear me.

OOMA SUX.

I am getting my money back. POS handsets.
#35000 by southsound
Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:05 am
costanzo98031,

I LOVE your new avatar!