Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#36857 by trucks
Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:46 pm
Just got off the phone with customer support about the bottom row light isssue. Fix was to return the unit back to where I bought it and try another one. I have an Actiontec router/modem combo, I have turned off the firewall, any ideas?
#39979 by gflu
Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:12 am
I confirmed with Ooma tech support that there was something wrong with my Telo, so I exchanged it at BestBuy.
New Ooma went through start up procedure, and went past the bottom row of lights to the Ooma logo flashing. I ran out of time. left town for 2 weeks. Came back to find the logo still flashing.

I suspect this has something to do with this old ActionTec DSL Modem firewall setting, so I dropped by Bestbuy and got a cheap Netgear DSL modem router.

I got the Netgear set up pretty quickly, confirmed that I had internet access, opened the firewall (as best as I can tell), and connected to the Ooma.

Same thing, gets to flashing blue Ooma logo, and never goes further. I'd like to know if the log shows any activity on my Telo?

Also, my phone number is already ported, so currently I cannot make or receive calls until I get the Telo set up. I can get my voicemail off my.ooma which is OK, especially since I have it set to SMS my cell phone when I get a voice mail.

Note: On this NetGear firewall router, the Firewall setting allows you to add an inbound service rule. I added a rule that allows any inbound service to come in, but the rule must include a LAN IP for this allowed inbound service. I assume this means the LAN IP of MY LAN, so I added the default lan IP of 192.168.0.1, but I don't know if that's right. That is the IP of the router itself. That is my LAN IP yes? I really don't know what I'm suppose to do with that LAN IP thing in the firewall rule.

PERHAPS AN OOMA TECH CAN TELL ME IF MY TELO IS CONNECTING TO THE OOMA SERVER AND IF IT IS DOWNLOADING AT AN APPROPRIATE RATE?
thanks!
#40049 by Groundhound
Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:41 pm
gflu wrote:I suspect this has something to do with this old ActionTec DSL Modem firewall setting, so I dropped by Bestbuy and got a cheap Netgear DSL modem router.

Hope you're able to get your combo modem/router working with your Telo. IMO combo modem/routers are a problem to configure properly, I would have opted for a separate modem and router.
#40081 by southsound
Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 pm
Groundhound wrote:
gflu wrote:I suspect this has something to do with this old ActionTec DSL Modem firewall setting, so I dropped by Bestbuy and got a cheap Netgear DSL modem router.

Hope you're able to get your combo modem/router working with your Telo. IMO combo modem/routers are a problem to configure properly, I would have opted for a separate modem and router.

I have an Actiontec combination modem/router that feeds my hub then a switch, then my Telo. It works fine because my wireless traffic is minimal (just an iPod Touch). If you needed wireless and had greater bandwidth needs, you could disable the wireless function of the modem/router and then connect a wireless access point (or a router configered as one) to the switch.