Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#36089 by Davesworld
Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:40 pm
oldanbo wrote:Just a personal opinion here. When I see DSL mentioned in a setup, I figure hurry up and wait.

It is just going to take longer for a download from anywhere to complete. I hope that this is the problem but I cannot say definitively that this is the case. Just a suspicion.

Without knowing the OP's connection speed, 24mbs is attainable with dsl these days but this doesn't seem to be their issue at all. As a point of reference, my 3mbs adsl connection which is consistent and high quality 24/7, the upgrade for my Telo yesterday didn't even peg my bandwidth meter on my router/firewall (Raqcop running on a Cobalt Raq 4i) and all indications showed that it never demanded more than half that. The limitations seem to be in the server end, not the 3mbs dsl link end. It took about ten minutes for the whole process including reboots.
#36137 by gflu
Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:11 am
Wayne,
DMZ is currently off on the router. How would DMZ improve the download speed from the Ooma network?

I am inclined to let the download continue at this point since I'm 24 hours into it. I think I'll wait till tomorrow night (36 hours) and see where it's at.

Where would I find the IP of the Telo? I think I can see it in my DHCP User List, but it is shown as unknown.
#36244 by oldanbo
Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:12 pm
gflu wrote:start of Day 3- lights still cycling....

I forget, have you tried putting the telo after the modem and ahead of your router?
#36246 by gflu
Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:46 pm
Oldandbo - Its one of those integrated router/modems that qwest is so fond of so there is no way to connect the telo between the modem and the router.
I did however check my internet speed coming out of the Telo, and it's rockin a 3Mbs connection. So we're all good on the bandwidth. It's either something to do with;
A. Telo (faulty firmware?)
B. The router/modem (a mysterious setting in the router?)
C. The telo server

I suspect all of these about equally at this point.
#36248 by Davesworld
Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:05 pm
gflu wrote:Oldandbo - Its one of those integrated router/modems that qwest is so fond of so there is no way to connect the telo between the modem and the router.

This isn't entirely true, I've had a few of these now made by actiontec and one by westel and I ran them in bridge mode so they act as a dumb modem and hooked the first ethernet port to the wan side of my own router/firewall. In Bridge mode, your chosen router or if desired, Ooma device will actually have the wan side directly on the internet so you don't wind up with a double nat situation. Honestly, bridging is what the Actiontecs do best when hooked to a real router/firewall.

One of my Actiontecs is actually a qwest version but I used it on verizon no problem, I only had to change one parameter. The Qwest firmware has bridging easily accessible via the web gui. I then added 192.168.1.2 as a second ip for the wan side of my router and set it as the gateway to 192.168.1.1 so even in bridged mode with my isp assigned internet address on the wan of my router, I can still log into the modem at any time if desired. Obviously there is no way for anyone to get to 192.168.x.x from the internet because it is disqualified for web access.
#36261 by oldanbo
Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:21 pm
Davesworld is more knowledgeable than myself especially regarding DSL. I hope his reply helps you.

I was starting to lean towards a defective Telo but I think Davesworld reply makes me think it's not the Telo.

I hope you get it worked out.

Regards,
Dan
#36309 by cdieren
Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:38 am
Any update on resolution to this issue? I had the exact same bottom row light cycling issue - persisting for hours - 12 hours is max that I let it go. No help from multiple calls to customer support.

I have separate modem and router and have tried both configurations - telo behind and ahead of my router (2a and 2b in startup guide). Currently thinking (as well as tech support) a telo box issue and plan to return/exchange for a new one - but this thread has me thinking that there may be router settings issue? Any thoughts or specific settings to attempt? Would putting telo behind router and on DMZ help at all?
#36372 by gflu
Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:24 pm
Davesworld- did you HAVE to connect to the ActionTec in Bridge mode, to get a Telo running with ActionTec, or are you just suggesting this as a possible alternative config?

I don't have an external router/firewall (I use the 4 ports on the ActionTec) so I can't really try that bridge schema and still have other devices on the network.

thanks
#36608 by Davesworld
Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:04 am
gflu wrote:Davesworld- did you HAVE to connect to the ActionTec in Bridge mode, to get a Telo running with ActionTec, or are you just suggesting this as a possible alternative config?

I don't have an external router/firewall (I use the 4 ports on the ActionTec) so I can't really try that bridge schema and still have other devices on the network.

thanks

No, all I am suggesting is that the Actiontec can be bridged IF you ever wanted to use a different firewall/router as an alternative. You should be able to see if your telo is at least picking up an address by logging into your actiontec.