Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#34767 by roddzilla
Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:14 pm
Just registered and installed Telo unit. Yes, the power jack is so loose that I cannot bump the unit or it will fall out.

Anyway, the bottom row of lights are cycling from left to right at a rate of about 2 seconds...

I hope this means it is downloading, but all indication from searches here say that while downloading, the bottom row of lights will be solid... ???

Is this thing broken, or should I wait until Dec 21 2012 and see ifthe lights go out :o ?

Thanks!!!

DR
#34768 by southsound
Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:17 pm
Yes, the cycling lights mean it is downloading the latest software. Since it takes quite a while, oom decided that the visual feedback would be a good idea.

And of course, welcome to ooma and to the forums! You are going to like it here! :cool:
#34769 by roddzilla
Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:25 pm
Outstanding.

I cannot wait to give AT&T the boot. Actually, I've been waiting for years... Vonage didn't quite get me there.

I may be a life premier subscriber within a few weeks if this things works as good as I think it will.

Holy crap! its rebooting, gotta go!!!

DR
#35781 by gflu
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:44 pm
roddzilla- did your telo ever complete it's update and stop cycling those blue lights. Give a bro some hope! Mine has been cycling for hours.....
#35786 by spats
Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:04 pm
Me too with the bottom lights cycling.
I was in the process of writing that it's irritating that there is no guide to what the various light colors/combinations mean, but mine did come onine and start working, after about 10 minutes.

For those of you that are wondering what's the heck is going on, like I was, here's what I got:

1) logo blinked blue for a minute or two (pretty confusing, since manual says it will be red when first turned on)
2) 1 and 2 solid blue, for about 10 seconds
3) trash and mail solid blue for about 10 seconds
4) bottom row of lights cycled for about 5 or 10 minutes
5) back to 1 and 2 solid blue 10 seconds
6) trash and mail solid blue 10 seconds
7) play and fast forward solid blue 10 or 20 seconds
8) all lights blue solid on, except blinking RED logo 5 or 10 seconds
9) finally all lights turned blue, and I could make a call.

I'm guessing at times above. A simple explanation that "lights will blink blue in various combinations when the unit is first connected to the internet" would have helped.
Note that I have a pretty slow DSL connection, and mine only took 10 minutes or so.
#35792 by gflu
Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:49 pm
now I'm worried. I have a pretty fast DSL connection, and it doesn't seem to be making any progress. Even if this were a 100MB update, it should have been completed long ago.
My telo is connected to my integrated DSL Router/Modem (Qwest ActionTec). The ethernet port is live, and I suppose, the cycling lights confirm it is connected to the internet. I haven't gotten a dialtone out of it yet, but that wouldn't happen until the update is complete.
I'll let it cycle overnight. If it's still cycling in the morning, I guess I'll call tech support.

Agreed on the weak documentation. Thanks for your play by play.
#35826 by oldanbo
Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 pm
Just a personal opinion here. When I see DSL mentioned in a setup, I figure hurry up and wait.

It is just going to take longer for a download from anywhere to complete. I hope that this is the problem but I cannot say definitively that this is the case. Just a suspicion.
#35890 by Dante R
Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:44 pm
gflu wrote:now I'm worried. I have a pretty fast DSL connection, and it doesn't seem to be making any progress. Even if this were a 100MB update, it should have been completed long ago.
My telo is connected to my integrated DSL Router/Modem (Qwest ActionTec). The ethernet port is live, and I suppose, the cycling lights confirm it is connected to the internet. I haven't gotten a dialtone out of it yet, but that wouldn't happen until the update is complete.
I'll let it cycle overnight. If it's still cycling in the morning, I guess I'll call tech support.

Agreed on the weak documentation. Thanks for your play by play.

Looking at your Telo logs yesterday I can see the unit attempting to download a new image but transferring at less then 1 byte per second. Usually this points to a firewall issue. I would suggest you either open the required ports for the Telo to communicate with our servers, or disable your firewall.

Today there are no logs so I'm guessing you have unplugged the unit?
#36014 by gflu
Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:01 am
After 36 hours, the Telo was still cycling. I called tech support, they had me start over (if Dante looks at the logs you will see the download started again today at 10:30 AM MTN). Hannah tells me she sees the log indicating the telo is connected to the ooma network. Said to wait an hour and call back. Add 15 minutes on hold. Then re-explain the whole process to Jerry. He tells me wait two days and call back.
This is just ridiculous. If I knew I would have invest this much time to just install the device, I would have run from it.
The 1 byte/sec transfer issue on the telo side. I do not have a firewall (confirmed in my ActionTec router settings). I just did a speed check on the line and it is downloading at 2,827Kbs. I did this check while connected through the network port of the Telo to my laptop. So, I am getting almost 3Mb of bandwidth through the Telo, but Ooma is transferring the update to the device at 1 byte/sec. WTF?

At this rate its going to take days, maybe weeks for to the update. I have no idea what the file size is that it's downloading.

The 10-20 minutes in the install guide is total bunk.
#36016 by WayneDsr
Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:08 am
Do you have a DMZ setting in the router? If you do, you need to put the Telo's ip address (assigned by your router) in the dmz field of the router.

Wayne