Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#34221 by oomamax
Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:21 pm
I am going to cancel my current landline phone service (Verizon). I plan to send the output of my Telo to a wall jack, and connect a number of cordless phones to the wall jacks throughout the house. The instructions say don't do this until the landline has been disconnected, & to call the phone company to confirm.

I can access the wires in a panel in the house. (I have 4 incoming lines, and 4 lines sent out to all the wall jacks.) Should I physically disconnect the Telco input lines, or can I leave them connected as long as the Verizon service is disconnected? For them to disconnect, do they need to come out to the box outside the house, or can they do it remotely?

Thanks.
#34231 by southsound
Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:45 pm
I would disconnect them just to be sure that the telco doesn't one day send signals along the line that could harm your equipment and also to prevent noise from entering your ooma system. It is probably a pretty easy thing to do. There should be a network interface box on the outside of your house that represents the junction of the telco's wiring with your home's wiring. It will have several jacks and plugs - one for each line. The plugs may either be on a short cable or may be a hinged assembly. These plugs go to your interior wiring. The jacks go to the telco's wiring and eventually the central office.

After disconnecting the plugs from the jacks (even the hinged ones can be left unplugged when you close the cover) you should tag the connections with the following, "Do not reconnect. Customer equipment may be harmed if lines are reconnected!"
#34237 by hpepper
Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:08 pm
southsound wrote:I would disconnect them just to be sure that the telco doesn't one day send signals along the line that could harm your equipment and also to prevent noise from entering your ooma system. It is probably a pretty easy thing to do. There should be a network interface box on the outside of your house that represents the junction of the telco's wiring with your home's wiring. It will have several jacks and plugs - one for each line. The plugs may either be on a short cable or may be a hinged assembly. These plugs go to your interior wiring. The jacks go to the telco's wiring and eventually the central office.

After disconnecting the plugs from the jacks (even the hinged ones can be left unplugged when you close the cover) you should tag the connections with the following, "Do not reconnect. Customer equipment may be harmed if lines are reconnected!"

Southsound is right on target. When I disconnected my "disconnected" landline, My call quality improved 100%... may not be that way for all, but you minimize any other potential for line problems.

Normally, with typical POTS lines (POTS = Plain Old Telphone Service) and all phones on-hook,the line measures around 48 volts DC - although very low amperage. This can cause havoc to equipment or at the very least cause noise problems on a VOIP line. Sometimes the phone companies discconect completely from your line and sometimes they don't.