Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#34167 by photorob
Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:02 am
I am curious to see if any one else is having issues with the battery life on the handset. I remember reading that the device promised excellent talk and standby times but after 1-2 hours mine is on 1/4 life according to the indicator. Otherwise I have been happy with the call quality although the range is not as far as my Uniden.
#34176 by WayneDsr
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:23 am
I think there are still battery indicator issues with the Telo. Mine stayed on 1/4 for 24 hours until it started beeping. I believe ooma is working on a firmware fix for this issue.

Range is another issue Ooma is working on. I think the handset does more than a normal cordless phone. It pulls all it's information from the Telo so there has to be a constant link. This makes the coverage area smaller than a regular dect 6 phone. I think Ooma is aware of it and are trying to pump up the power.

Wayne
#34178 by murphy
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:36 am
The max power is limited by the FCC. It's not a licensed service, it's an incidental radiator.
The fines for exceeding the FCC power limits are substantial.

The higher the power in the handset goes, the faster the battery will die.
#34181 by WayneDsr
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:51 am
I was hoping that the limit hasn't been reached yet and Ooma could tweak it up to the fcc limit. I'm not getting full coverage in my apartment, whereas I do with any other cordless phone, dect 6 or not. Hopefully they have the power set to a mid range to save battery power and could tweak it up just a bit more. I'd rather have to charge them every day than not be able to use them in the far rooms of the house.

Wayne
#34184 by Aveamantium
Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:21 am
WayneDsr wrote:I was hoping that the limit hasn't been reached yet and Ooma could tweak it up to the fcc limit. I'm not getting full coverage in my apartment, whereas I do with any other cordless phone, dect 6 or not. Hopefully they have the power set to a mid range to save battery power and could tweak it up just a bit more. I'd rather have to charge them every day than not be able to use them in the far rooms of the house.

Wayne

Agreed!! :D
#34199 by sean
Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:53 am
that's me as well. we tend to have the phone on the charger every night (and most days), but our house is big and the Telo handset is the only phone that gives us static when walking around the house.
#34220 by photorob
Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:08 pm
Mine was showing 1/4 charge all day even when kept in charger all day. However when I unplug the battery and plug back in it now shows full charge. I hope a firmware update can fix this
#34322 by dogdad
Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:49 pm
photorob wrote:However when I unplug the battery and plug back in it now shows full charge. I hope a firmware update can fix this

I got the same results power cycling the handset with the red button. Standby time was about 50 hours until low battery warning.
#34378 by WayneDsr
Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:28 am
That is strange. Mine used to say full charge. Now both of mine say 1/4 charge no matter how long I have them on the charger.

Wayne