Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#34157 by six_seat
Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:00 pm
I have my Ooma Teleo installed behind an Apple Extreme Base Station. Calling works fine but internet performance is noticeably degraded when Ooma is connected to router. I have the QoS stuff turned off, but that should not matter anyway since the Ooma box is behind the router. The problem disappears immediately when I disconnect Ooma from the router. Has anyone else seen this problem?
#34165 by murphy
Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:32 am
If Ooma is behind the router, There should not be anything connected to the Home port of the Ooma. It's internal QOS has no meaning in that situation.
#34170 by lchan
Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:00 am
Seems not possible. Since you have Ooma behind the router, it is the router that controls the Internet traffic. If your router does not have QoS set up to have higher priority for the Ooma MAC address or VOIP, that should not happen.
#34175 by WayneDsr
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:17 am
six_seat wrote:I have my Ooma Teleo installed behind an Apple Extreme Base Station. Calling works fine but internet performance is noticeably degraded when Ooma is connected to router. I have the QoS stuff turned off, but that should not matter anyway since the Ooma box is behind the router. The problem disappears immediately when I disconnect Ooma from the router. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Do you have anything connected to the WALL port of the Telo?
Do you have DSL?

Wayne
#34186 by six_seat
Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:39 am
Thanks for the replies. I know this problem doesn't make sense based on the way Ooma is supposed to work. I am using cable (Comcast) not DSL. I am only using the Internet port on the Ooma box; nothing is connected to the other ports. I don't believe the Apple Extreme Base Station has any QoS settings. I did setup my router so that Ooma has a dedicated IP address, but that did not seem to solve the problem. I will give Ooma support a call to see if they have any ideas here.
#34190 by Groundhound
Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:58 am
six_seat wrote:Thanks for the replies. I know this problem doesn't make sense based on the way Ooma is supposed to work. I am using cable (Comcast) not DSL. I am only using the Internet port on the Ooma box; nothing is connected to the other ports. I don't believe the Apple Extreme Base Station has any QoS settings. I did setup my router so that Ooma has a dedicated IP address, but that did not seem to solve the problem. I will give Ooma support a call to see if they have any ideas here.

IMO, I don't see how Ooma support can help you with this. The way you've described the problem, it is with your router's allocation of bandwidth.
#34306 by six_seat
Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 pm
Here's the data from a test that I just ran using Speakeasy Speed Test

Before connecting Teleo to router

21.8 Mbps Down/6.6 Mbps Up (LA)
15.0 Mbps Down/7.9 Mbps Up (Dallas)

After connecting Teleo to router and making a few calls

3.7 Mbps Down/2.4 Mbps Up (LA)
3.8 Mbps Down/2.4 Mbps Up (Dallas)

After disconnecting Teleo and rebooting router

24.5 Mbps Down/8.2 Mbps Up (LA)
17.1 Mbps Down/8.2 Mbps Up (Dallas)

So for some reason I am taking a 5-6x hit on download speed and 2-3x hit on upload speed when the Teleo is connected to by router. The problem does not seem to start until Teleo is connected and I had made or received calls. Perhaps this is form some kind of interaction between the Apple Extreme Base Station and the Teleo? Has anyone else seen this issue?
Last edited by six_seat on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#34308 by murphy
Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:30 pm
What kind of service do you have that has a higher upload speed than the download speed?