Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#34147 by costanzo98031
Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:04 pm
I haven’t been able to utilize any of the handsets I purchased at Best Buy due to the poor sound quality I get while placing a call through the handset. The sound cuts in and out. Also on a few occasions I had to pull the battery out to unfreeze the phone. The phone’s range is also an issue. I don’t have a large house and have used other cordless phones without any issues; however, the ooma handset seams to have a very limited range.

The telo hub itself works great! I have a corded phone hooked to it and the sound is great. There are no electronics in my house that would cause interference.

I think the sound quality and other intermittent issues I am experiencing is due to the phone’s software. The recent firmware update helped and improved sound quality, but using it for a few days now, it's clear there still is a problem with how the handset is performing.

Can we get an ETA on the next release as well as an idea of what is being worked on? I think there are plans to release an update next week, but it hard to tell with the holidays. Also, I noticed the phone of the phone on the main website looks different then the phone I have. For example, the phone on ooma's site has the ooma circle and my has the word ooma. The handsets being sold at Best Buy the latest hardware version or is the phone on the site outdated?
#34148 by Quicksprj
Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:13 pm
I can't speak to the firmware update but the handset you have with the ooma name is the most up to date handset. I am only guessing but think ooma went with thename instead of the logo for name recognition like when someone cones inyour house and reads ooma. I think it could spark conversation. My telo has been working very well with other wired phones as well as other cordless phones. I'm confident ooma will get the handset issues worked out and working as good or better than the original hub and scout.
#34153 by Groundhound
Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:34 pm
costanzo98031 wrote:Can we get an ETA on the next release as well as an idea of what is being worked on? I think there are plans to release an update next week, but it hard to tell with the holidays. Also, I noticed the phone of the phone on the main website looks different then the phone I have. For example, the phone on ooma's site has the ooma circle and my has the word ooma. The handsets being sold at Best Buy the latest hardware version or is the phone on the site outdated?

Don't know when the next release is scheduled but my guess is the updates will be fairly soon. Ooma has the onset of Christmas shopping season upon them and I've no doubt they are "incentivzed" to iron out the wrinkles ASAP. As far as the website photos, I think those are early/pre-development mockups, and the handsets you get now from BestBuy and other retailers are the latest hardware.