Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#34096 by VoIP
Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:04 pm
The other topic is locked so I made this one to offer my observations.

I own a Telo and while the power adapter is loose, it is not because of power adapter itself but because of the Telo instead. When I first purchased my Telo, the power adapter came disconnected a few times before I figured out what was happening.

The reason my adapter came out was because of how the main board inside of the Telo, is seated against the Telo chassis. The main board is loose and not firmly attached, such that when I insert the power adapter the main board moves inward. That movement is just enough to prevent the power adapter from making good contact and locking in securely.

I did manage to find a work around of sorts to get the power adapter completely inserted. What I did was to first insert an Ethernet cable into the home network port and then pull on the network cable adapter (in an outward direction), while inserting the power adapter. This counteracts the movement of the main board, and allows me to fully insert the power adapter without it moving inward.

Just wondering if what I have observed is what is actually happening others having trouble with the power adapter?
#34099 by ntoy
Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:14 pm
Hello,

If you are experiencing a Telo issue with the main board not anchored properly, please contact one of our customer support representatives to RMA your Telo. Inform them that Norman Toy will authorize the RMA.
#34106 by VoIP
Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:34 pm
Thank you for the offer, the procedure I went through to make the power adapter stay in place keeps it fully inserted and actually prevents the adapter from falling out as it did previously. I have everything setup and working just fine, since I don't move my Telo around much except when cleaning, and it has not disconnected on me when cleaning, it's no longer an issue. The mainboard, is not completely loose by any means, but it just has enough movement to otherwise make for a loose power adapter connection.

Should the problem recur, I'll initiate an RMA.
#34227 by Jay521
Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:27 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

If you are experiencing a Telo issue with the main board not anchored properly, please contact one of our customer support representatives to RMA your Telo. Inform them that Norman Toy will authorize the RMA.

I am having the same issue. At first, I thought it was the power plug, but the main board is loose and not firmly attached, such that when I also insert the power adapter the main board moves inward. This is a quality issue with the Telo. I will call customer service about getting an RMA for my Telo.
#34318 by Jay521
Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:20 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

Norman: I called Customer Service and explained my 'loose main board' problem to a gentleman named Valentine. He said they do not do RMA's for Telo's with this problem. They will only send me another power adapter. I told him that Norman Toy would approve the RMA based on your above post since the problem seems to be a loose main baord. After placing me on hold, he came back and said he spoke with the Engineers and he will still have to send an ac power adapter out first. He advised me to call back after I receive the new adapter with my ticket number and explain the situation again for RMA consideration. So, I will be getting a new plug that won't solve the main board problem.

Norman, can you assist me here?
#34410 by Jay521
Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:52 pm
Bump.

I'm wondering if the loose ac adapter problem is really caused by a loose main board? If I move the ac adapter, ethernet cable or phone cord around, you can see the main board moving inward.

Anyone else check into this?
#34423 by VoIP
Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:43 pm
Jay521 wrote:Bump.

I'm wondering if the loose ac adapter problem is really caused by a loose main board? If I move the ac adapter, ethernet cable or phone cord around, you can see the main board moving inward.

I've been wondering that as well. Have you been able to secure the adapter as I was?
#34425 by WayneDsr
Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:47 pm
They are 2 separate issues. The power cable has a jack that seems to pop out easliy (I had one) but the board is tight. It was a manufacturer defect.

The other issue is with a loose board, not secured during manufacturing. I believe Ooma is fixing both issues, but you would have to talk to an ooma moderator to find out for sure.

Customer Service seems to have no idea.

Wayne
#34445 by Jay521
Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:12 pm
VoIP wrote:
Jay521 wrote:Bump.

I've been wondering that as well. Have you been able to secure the adapter as I was?

No, the ac adapter falls out way too easily. I tried moving the board towards the plug but that didn't help. Any slight movement and it will come out. Norman is working on an RMA for me :)