Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#1821 by Auldron
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:11 pm
I am setting up my ooma for the first time and I currently have Comcast Cable internet and Comcast phone service. In my basement I have the Comcast phone modem wired into my home phone wiring. In the next room I have my comcast wireless router cable modem. I have the cable modem plugged directly into the wall (coax) then port one one on the comcast wireless router cable modem going into the ooma jack labeled modem. From there I have the ooma jack labeled home plugged into my computer. The PC works fine and dandy.

I then plugged the ooma jack labeled Phone into my phone and the ooma jack labeled wall into a RJ-11 standard wall jack and I have a blue light and I can make ooma calls crystal clear on the phone.

My problem is if I disconnect the Comcast Phone modem from the house rj-11 jack I get a red light on my ooma and am dead in the water. What will I do when I cancl comcast voice and they take their phone modem back?

Do I have my configuration set up properly?

Why will the ooma not work without the comcast phone modem?

I am porting the number and have not received the confirmation email yet. I just want to make sure I am squared away before I disconnect from comcast. My wife would KILL ME if she had no phone...

Does anyone have any advice on why I can't get it to work independently?

I am sure there has to be someone out there in ooma land that has dumped Comcast Digital Voice and moved over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Auldy
#1909 by trigler
Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:28 pm
I have the same problem. My setup is modem to ooma hub, wifi router to hub, wifi router to pc. Phone line to ooma hub, ooma hub to the wall via a splitter. If I disconnect the line from the modem to the wall, no ooma. However, if I connect the ooma phone line directly to the modem, it works fine. My understanding is that after my number is ported, they will switch out my digital voice modem anyway, so hopefully that won't be a worry. I have two dect 6.0 phones, and my second phone doesn't need to be connected to the phone jack to receive calls. So I'm okay. If I wanted to connect to the phone jack, I might have a problem.
#1960 by Bobby B
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:48 pm
Right now it looks like ooma is configured to work with your existing phone connection. This allows you to make and receive calls on your existing phone number. In this setup, you must have an active phone line connected to ooma, otherwise it won't go into service.

After the port is completed, ooma will be configured as a standalone service, so you won't need any phone line to be connected for ooma to go into service.

Just be sure to keep your existing Comcast service until you get a confirmation email describing when your port is set to complete.

Auldron wrote:My problem is if I disconnect the Comcast Phone modem from the house rj-11 jack I get a red light on my ooma and am dead in the water. What will I do when I cancl comcast voice and they take their phone modem back?

Do I have my configuration set up properly?

Why will the ooma not work without the comcast phone modem?

I am porting the number and have not received the confirmation email yet. I just want to make sure I am squared away before I disconnect from comcast. My wife would KILL ME if she had no phone...

Does anyone have any advice on why I can't get it to work independently?
Auldy