Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#33697 by 07pilot4me
Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:59 pm
Hi all

just tried to install ooma yesterday. finally had success installing the Hub (blue light) but when i connect the Scout to another phone line it just blinks red.

i read somewhere when someone used a L1 L2 L1+L2 splitter for a Cable modem i have a DSL modem and was wondering if the same fix will work

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4439 (does anyone have a diagram??)

can someone please let me know if this will work, also called tech support and pretty much not helpfull since they are obv just reading from script.

on the hub
-----> dsl modem ----->OOMA----->router
#33698 by murphy
Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm
The DSL signal can not be on the same pair of wires that is used to connect the hub to the scout. That communication uses HPNA which doesn't work in the presence od DSL and will severely slow down your DSL connection. The trick is to put the hub to scout connection on the usually unused line 2 that is already in your walls. That is what a pair of L1, L2, L1+L2 adapters accomplish.
#33700 by 07pilot4me
Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:09 pm
i am also planning on using a landline for dish and brinks security...

will my landline number still ring on scout even if scout is essentially connected to line 2??

i'm guessing it still will, since Hub is still on line 1 (the house number/dsl line) just the hub--->is using line 2

am i correct that my old landline number will still ring the hub/scout
#33720 by tommies
Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:38 pm
You have DSL+land line, and you want to keep the land line for brinks+disk network, and 911, etc.
You want to use the scout and want to feed the dial tone to the house wiring.

Assume that the DSL+land line is connected to your house Line 1. You already know that any phone plugged into Line 1 needs a DSL filter.

You can do the same for the hub dial tone and the scout on Line 2. You can combine the signals from the hub PHONE port + WALL port using a duplex splitter and then plug this splitter into Line 2 of the L1+L2 splitter at the phone jack on the wall. Also if you want to directly plug a phone into Line 2 (for use with the hub dial tone) a DSL filter is required (because HPNA is very similar to DSL signal) The scout needs NOT have the filter (it will not work if HPNA is filtered out)

This is assuming that your ooma is not intergrated with your land line, ie incoming call to your land line will not ring your ooma phone.

If indead, you land line is intergrated with ooma, ie you want incoming call to your land line to ring your ooma phone too, the above setup will not work. The typical house wiring with two twisted pairs is not enough, You need at least 3 twisted pairs, most new house is installed with Cat3 cable(ie 3 twsited pairs) or Cat5(4 twisted pairs) but only two pairs are used. If your house is wired with at least 3 pairs then what you want can be done with some extra works.

read this thread for some diagram & pictures viewtopic.php?f=2&t=658
#33724 by 07pilot4me
Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:02 pm
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4439

when i try the above method, something weird happens. the ooma blinks red then blue then red etc... it seems to not like the wall (ooma hub)----->L2 connection because when i connect L1 ----->wall (ooma hub)the light turns solid blue. kinda getting frustrated since tech support on phone is no help....

i was willing to reconfig my system i.e. move the router/modem/hub to the living room or kitchen(to access the voicemail options on the hub) and leave my laser networkable printer in another room (since it is too big and takes too much space)

my laser printer is a brother mfc 7820N ..... can this recieve signal from the router wirelessly??? is there a device that can connect with the printer and talk to my router wirelessly???
proposed setup:

---->modem---->ooma hub----->router (in living room) CONNECT TO mystery device------->MFC 7820 printer(in back room)
OR wireless signal?????--------MFC 7820 printer

suggestions would be helpfull, and thanks so far for everyones input....
essentially giving up on the darn scout
#33730 by tommies
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:09 pm
07pilot4me wrote:https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4439

when i try the above method, something weird happens. the ooma blinks red then blue then red etc... it seems to not like the wall (ooma hub)----->L2 connection because when i connect L1 ----->wall (ooma hub)the light turns solid blue. kinda getting frustrated since tech support on phone is no help....

because of this
If indead, you land line is intergrated with ooma, ie you want incoming call to your land line to ring your ooma phone too, the above setup will not work. The typical house wiring with two twisted pairs is not enough, You need at least 3 twisted pairs, most new house is installed with Cat3 cable(ie 3 twsited pairs) or Cat5(4 twisted pairs) but only two pairs are used. If your house is wired with at least 3 pairs then what you want can be done with some extra works.

If you willing to open the phone wall plate to see if the house wiring has an extra/unused twisted pair, then this can be done with some extra works

You need some thing like this
On-Q/Legrand 3-Port Keystone Wall Plate
which allow to connect up to 3 phone lines with 3 phone jacks installed in the wall plate.

Just verify if your house wiring does have 3 twisted pairs, and post back, I'' try to help. It complicated because of the present of DSL and land line intergration, but it absolutely can be done.

i was willing to reconfig my system i.e. move the router/modem/hub to the living room or kitchen(to access the voicemail options on the hub) and leave my laser networkable printer in another room (since it is too big and takes too much space)

my laser printer is a brother mfc 7820N ..... can this recieve signal from the router wirelessly??? is there a device that can connect with the printer and talk to my router wirelessly???
proposed setup:

---->modem---->ooma hub----->router (in living room) CONNECT TO mystery device------->MFC 7820 printer(in back room)
OR wireless signal?????--------MFC 7820 printer

suggestions would be helpfull, and thanks so far for everyones input....
essentially giving up on the darn scout

As it stands now, you have to choose either using the scout, then there is no option to feed the ooma hub dial tone to the house, and vice-versa.

For a wireless network print-server, just google it out, I saw some a while ago when looking for a network print server, Make sure that your printer model is supported before buying.
Here is a sample from buy.com
wireless print server
for a print only printer with USB, it's almost univeral supported
for a multi-function/all-in-one, support is limited, make sure your printer is support before buying.
#33737 by 07pilot4me
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:34 pm
If you willing to open the phone wall plate to see if the house wiring has an extra/unused twisted pair, then this can be done with some extra works

You need some thing like this
On-Q/Legrand 3-Port Keystone Wall Plate
which allow to connect up to 3 phone lines with 3 phone jacks installed in the wall plate.

Just verify if your house wiring does have 3 twisted pairs, and post back, I'' try to help. It complicated because of the present of DSL and land line intergration, but it absolutely can be done.

***********what should i be looking for when i open the phone plate?

As it stands now, you have to choose either using the scout, then there is no option to feed the ooma hub dial tone to the house, and vice-versa.

For a wireless network print-server, just google it out, I saw some a while ago when looking for a network print server, Make sure that your printer model is supported before buying.
Here is a sample from buy.com
wireless print server
for a print only printer with USB, it's almost univeral supported
for a multi-function/all-in-one, support is limited, make sure your printer is support before buying.

*********i am leaning toward this setup, any problems with not being able to feed the ooma dial tone to ALL the phone lines. i plan to use a DECT or other cordless phone so i believe i only need the ooma tone on the base right?? also may consider trading in this Hub for a Telo..... will the "lazy" setup serve me in the future, or will i be experiencing more headaches if i go this route.... thanks for helping [/b]:)[/u]
#33748 by tommies
Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm
07pilot4me wrote:
***********what should i be looking for when i open the phone plate?

See if the cable has 3 twisted pairs. One will be in solid blue & stripped white/blue--by convension, this is Line 1. Second pair is orange & white/orange, this is line 2. Third pair is brown & white/brown, not use. So you'll see the first two connected to the wall plate, the third/brown pair is not connected. If you see a fourth pair, this mean your house is wired with CAT5 cable. CAT3 only has 3 pairs. CAT3 is the mininum, since you need one line for DSL+land line, one for the hub dial tone, and one for the scout.

In older house, there is only two pair in solid color(blue,white and yellow,back--I might be wrong on the color but they are all solid color)

*********i am leaning toward this setup, any problems with not being able to feed the ooma dial tone to ALL the phone lines. i plan to use a DECT or other cordless phone so i believe i only need the ooma tone on the base right?? also may consider trading in this Hub for a Telo..... will the "lazy" setup serve me in the future, or will i be experiencing more headaches if i go this route.... thanks for helping [/b]:)[/u]

yes. between the scout and the dial tone, you need to pick one.

The hub and the telo each has its pro and con, and depending on your need, one is better than the other.

The hub hardware does not support inbound DTMF, The Telo hardware does, but not working as now.

the scout supports wired 2nd line, telo's hand set is a wireless scout with out the supported phone jack to connect you own phone for the second line. For some, this is draw back and prefer the wired scout for the ability of a wired second line.

The scout has a problem of difficulty to install with DSL and land line intergration, as you are experience right now. Telo hand set is free from this problem, and it's a Dect. 60 base too.
#33787 by MikeekiM
Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:24 am
This is what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DSL-POTS-Filter-spl ... 518e2ee7dd

Install this on the outside of your house and completely split out the voice and data centrally... Then put Ooma on the voice wiring...

This is what the phone company used to install when they used to come out to actually do the installation of DSL long ago... But with the self-install route that all companies are using, the little separate DSL dongles are easier for customers...

I bought this box from eBay years ago, and it works flawlessly...

You'd think this was an easy item to find...but surprisingly, I just searched on "DSL Filter" on eBay, and there was only this one seller for this product... And when I bought it, I paid $40 for it...
#33809 by 07pilot4me
Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:20 am
is this something i can install myself? where outside of the house can i install this??

what about the phone plates in the house, wont they need the 2 outlet kind instead of the 1 outlet kind i already have?? or will it automatically detect a dsl vs a phone line signal off a single outlet (essentially a filter that is installed at the "start" point)

i understand that the phone company can do this as well, what should i be asking for them to do?? would really like to be able to do myself since it is cheaper....

will this product acomplish the same thing?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DSL-Splitter-POTS-F ... 53de1e7ce1

also when this POTS/DSL splitter is installed, can i still use a single phone jack?

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/pro-lighting_2077_439887038

or will i have to install one of these:

http://www.spywaredrguide.com/VirtualDr ... ack_01.jpg

THanks!!

MikeekiM wrote:This is what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DSL-POTS-Filter-spl ... 518e2ee7dd

Install this on the outside of your house and completely split out the voice and data centrally... Then put Ooma on the voice wiring...

This is what the phone company used to install when they used to come out to actually do the installation of DSL long ago... But with the self-install route that all companies are using, the little separate DSL dongles are easier for customers...

I bought this box from eBay years ago, and it works flawlessly...

You'd think this was an easy item to find...but surprisingly, I just searched on "DSL Filter" on eBay, and there was only this one seller for this product... And when I bought it, I paid $40 for it...