Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#33474 by nothingworks
Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:55 am
I have a DSL line and an integrated router. I went online and activated my account indicating that it should work with a landline. I then set up the Hub as shown in the manual. The blue light on the Hub is lit and I get the Ooma dialtone. I can call out but cannot receive incoming calls or messages. The Scout does not work, the light is red and I hear the regular phone dialtone.
I spent a couple of hours searching the Forum but gave up. One poster indicated that I would have to install a splitter for the Scout to work with a DSL line. Is this true even if I drop my landline?
#33477 by southsound
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:13 am
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forums!

DSL presents some challenges when using and integrated landline and a scout. First off, I need to tell you that many people have found the integrated landline to have few advantages over keeping the two separate. I have DSL and a landline - but I have chosen to keep the landline on its own cordless base. Right now I have a special Qwest deal so it makes keeping the landline with a special package cheaper than just a basic landline - but that will change in May and I'll drop down to basic. You may want to consider if an integrated system is really to your benefit.

On to trying to solve your problem. Since DSL is running on your landline, you will need a microfilter on the landline that plugs into your hub's wall port. This line carries the landline signal to the hub - but if a microfilter is not used it can bring down your DSL signal. You should try this first without the scout - and if it works, great.

Next is to see if you can heat up the scout. The scout uses HPNA - a network protocol that really messes with DSL. So you will need to keep the filtered signal as is for the DSL but split off the hub's wall port before the filter. You can use a splitter for this. First try the scout with just a short cable. Again, it will be on the hub side of the microfilter. If it works, then you can either keep the scout near the hub or you can extend this to another room by using a second clean pair for the non-filtered signal. Most homes are wired with more than one line connected the wall jacks. If the scout works nearby the hub, then we can walk you through the rest of the wiring.

Let us know about how your testing goes. There are a lot of great users here with lots of useful information and help. :cool:
#33489 by nothingworks
Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:33 am
southsound, thank you for your confirmation that an integrated router, DSL line and landline will continue to give me issues.
Plugging the Scout into the Hub did not work. I saw a good thread explaining how to set up the Scout on a phone jack with a splitter viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4439&p=31721&hilit=+scout#p31721
We called Customer Service yesterday because we had trouble with our Hub and the representative assigned us a new phone number. I called again because I wondered if that new number assignment was causing the issues with incoming calls. That was indeed the problem, and the Customer Service representative this morning fixed the number assignment and the Hub is now working.
#33492 by WayneDsr
Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:40 am
Plugging the Scout into the Hub did not work.

If you plug the Scout into the hub using a phone cable from the WALL port on the HUB to the WALL port on the SCOUT it has to work. If not there could be an issue with the Scout or the cable connecting them.

Wayne
#33494 by southsound
Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:48 am
That is good news that your hub is working. Just to clarify, you had ooma change your configuration so you no longer use an integrated landline but are using a new ooma number, correct? If so, that is how I have my ooma hub configured. The thread you referenced has some great information. You can use those 2-line splitters to connect up your scout to the second pair of wiring in your home without having to rewire anything (assuming that the installer wired up both lines to the jacks). And as groundhound mentioned in the last post of the thread, you can combine hub dialtone and the scout signal on the same unused line.

If my assumption that you are no longer integrating your landline, have you tried using the scout with a short cable between the hub and scout wall ports? At this point, with nothing else going to the hub wall port, it should work fine. Let us know. :cool:
#33504 by nothingworks
Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:27 am
I tried plugging the Scout into the Hub before we got the new number (which is without landline). I just tried it again and the Scout works. Thanks.
#33515 by WayneDsr
Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:30 pm
Southsound, shouldn't he change his name now from "nothingworks" to "everythingworks"? :)

Glad everything is starting to come together for you nothingworks, with your experience with this issue you need to hang around here and help others out with similar problems. Although I'm not sure I'd want to take advice from someone with a name like NOTHINGWORKS! :-)

Wayne