Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#33263 by mmanville
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:21 pm
I am trying to test switching to a Modem -> Router -> Hub installation, from a semi-working Modem -> Hub -> Router configuration.

I say the modem>hub>router configuration was "semi-working" because, although it worked well when it worked -- I got the QOS and DMZ and everything on the hub set up to give quality voice quality, yet still let the ~5 PCs connecting to the router do their things -- the hub would lose it's internet connection every few days, or sometimes multiple times per day. At the very best I can go maybe a week without having problems. When it happens sometimes I can get everything up again by just restarting (usually modem and hub), other times I have to call Charter, go through the disconnect & reconnect modem cable automated help routine while they "send a new signal." A few times that did not work and I had to work with their technical support (which widely varied in quality, by the way). One time (3 weeks ago) I even had charter come out to inspect and test the wiring, they did adjust the upstream signal strength, but said it should be working now. It is not, the hub is still dropping it's internet connection every few days, and does not get it back until I manually intervene.

Anyway, all that is background, just to explain why, after enduring this & plus reading here that others have had issues with ooma's recommended modem >hub>router setup, am trying the modem>router>hub setup, to at lest see if it makes a difference. I figure if it does (if internet stops dropping out, and maybe ooma hub does), that means the hub has hardware problems ? If it makes no difference,e then it's either the modem or Charter's signal.

I did this almost 24 hours ago, but although the router has been connected to the internet the whole time, I have not been able to get the ooma hub to reconnect through the router. It has sat there all day with the tab blinking red, and the following buttons solid red: "1" "2" "play (right pointing triangle)" and "fast forward (double right pointing triangle." The garbage and stop buttons are not lit up.

To elaborate on my setup, my Charter cable internet service, to a Motorola ModemSurfr modem, to as Asus WL-520gu router flashed with Tomato Version 1.25.8634 vpn3, to my "classic" (not Telo) hub, without an accompanying landline. I have never had a landline at this house, we moved here in August and I bought the ooma hub+scout at Costco, and selected an ooma-provisioned number during activation, I did not transfer.

Here are the various configuration/status screens that I can think of that may be of interest (if anyone would like to have additional info in order to better help me, I'll be happy to oblige). Note that I have setup up the home port in the DMZ so I can log onto the setup screens while it is wired directly to the router, the state I wan to get it working in & in which I took the below screenshots from my PC a few moments ago. In other words, I know tht the hub is successfully connected tothe router (my netwrk), the only thing is it can't seem to connect to ooma. Note also I have assigned a static IP to the ooma box, and tried to set up port forwarding for the hub based upon what I read at http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/al/12652/14888/article.asp?aid=261435&bt=4n:

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can give! Even after browsing through posts here a few hours, I am stumped. I'm hoping someone else will recognize my problem for me, or if not, then I go to ooma support.
#33269 by tommies
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:01 pm
I did this almost 24 hours ago, but although the router has been connected to the internet the whole time, I have not been able to get the ooma hub to reconnect through the router. It has sat there all day with the tab blinking red, and the following buttons solid red: "1" "2" "play (right pointing triangle)" and "fast forward (double right pointing triangle." The garbage and stop buttons are not lit up.

According to ooma user guide,
a. 'Play' & 'Fast forward' is red: ooma required a working land line(ie with working dial tone) to plug to WALL port
b. '1' & '2' is red: ooma hub is unable to register to ooma network.

You also see this info in ooma setup home page eventhough the wording is not as clear as in the user guide
Ooma core: registering, please wait....
Phone line: No phone line detected, check the phone line is properly connected

Other than that, your setup is perfect, just plug your land line into WALL port, ooma will be up in minutes.
#33274 by TechNoid665
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:20 pm
I know you are running a different router from me, but other than that our setup is identical, EXCEPT, my router didn't require me to put in port forwarding/opening for the Ooma Core; It was simply plug and play. DLink 614+ (old old wireless b router).
#33284 by mmanville
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:50 pm
tommies wrote:According to ooma user guide,
a. 'Play' & 'Fast forward' is red: ooma required a working land line(ie with working dial tone) to plug to WALL port
b. '1' & '2' is red: ooma hub is unable to register to ooma network.

You also see this info in ooma setup home page eventhough the wording is not as clear as in the user guide
Ooma core: registering, please wait....
Phone line: No phone line detected, check the phone line is properly connected

Other than that, your setup is perfect, just plug your land line into WALL port, ooma will be up in minutes.
Yes, I saw that in setup guide troubleshooting too. But from what I saw, that diagnosis only applies to scout, not the hub.

I'm sorry if I did not make it clear in my first post (maybe it got lost in there), but I do not have a landline. I have never had a landline in this house, and since I purchased the ooma. 24 hours ago, right before I switched the hub & router positions, I was getting ooma service, without having any landline plugged in.

Thanks for trying to help though.
#33285 by mmanville
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:55 pm
TechNoid665 wrote:I know you are running a different router from me, but other than that our setup is identical, EXCEPT, my router didn't require me to put in port forwarding/opening for the Ooma Core; It was simply plug and play. DLink 614+ (old old wireless b router).

Yeah, I don't doubt it, based on browsing these forums a few hours it seems like many others having gotten things working with a similiar arrangement, without even running into an issue like this. It's my intuition that I have something different in the router setup, only thing is I can't figure out what it is, hoping someone can see or think of something that I don't. That or somethign dumb in the ooma setup screens that I'm just not seeing.

Clearly the ooma hub can see the internet. Only something is keeping it form communicating with the ooma servers (the "Ooma Tunnel" is disconnected).
#33303 by mmanville
Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:46 pm
tommies wrote:Then maybe your router blocks some ports that ooma needs,
Dante R wrote:Service Ports

ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.
from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4189&p=30118
Thanks, but I believe I have all of those forwarded already (see my last screenshot)
#33312 by mmanville
Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 pm
OK, after banging around a while, I think I figured it out for myself. My problem seems to be that I was assigning a static IP of 192.168.0.98 on both the oom hub and to the hub's MAC address in the Static DHCP section of the Tomato router configuration:

It occurred to me that I wasn't doing that for any of my other machines on the network -- assigning the static IP on the machine side, I was letting Tomato do it based upon MAC address (that lets me name each device, etc, in my network domain). So I just changed the Static IP to DHCP assigned in the ooma network setup page and BOOM it worked.

Once I got thrtough that, I quicly got my QOS configured to give the ooma hub priority on the network, then made a test call from my cell & it was as clear as it had ever been, and my internet speeds on the other network machines -- a couple of which I had running downloads and apps in order to load my meager 1Mbsp/135kpbs connection -- was actually a LOT better than what it had been when I had the hub on the other side of the router! So far so good; it appears Tomato may be a HECK of a lot better at managing traffic & QOS than the ooma hub is.

Now to see if this has any effect at all on my internet connection reliability ...

Thanks tommies and TechNoid665 for their time.