Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#33101 by 1972ARG
Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:29 pm
Hi, I received my Ooma Telo but was unable to install it using the references on the short guide. I have an Apple Time Capsule and I installed the Ooma T with the Option 2A (ATC to Ooma Home Network to Cable Modem). This is working fine (however I think my internet connection got a bit slow than before connecting the Ooma this way) but my main problem is connecting the telephone line to the Ooma wall jack. I have inside my closet a Honeywell Telephone/Cable Module and the cable that comes from the street to connect the other 8 telephone jacks is a Cat 5, so I couldn't connect it to the Ooma jack. I tried using the Phone Cable that came from the package to connect the Ooma to the Module but I don't have dial tone and or received calls in any of my wireless phones either. I disconnected my home telephone 10 months ago so I am assuming that my connection in the outside box is disconnected because I cannot dial 911 from any phone.

Please any help is appreciated before I put everything back together and send it back to Amazon :(
DSC00017.JPG
DSC00017.JPG (141.3 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
DSC00018.JPG
DSC00018.JPG (135.13 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
#33111 by Groundhound
Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:10 pm
1972ARG wrote:Hi, I received my Ooma Telo but was unable to install it using the references on the short guide. I have an Apple Time Capsule and I installed the Ooma T with the Option 2A (ATC to Ooma Home Network to Cable Modem). This is working fine (however I think my internet connection got a bit slow than before connecting the Ooma this way) but my main problem is connecting the telephone line to the Ooma wall jack. I have inside my closet a Honeywell Telephone/Cable Module and the cable that comes from the street to connect the other 8 telephone jacks is a Cat 5, so I couldn't connect it to the Ooma jack. I tried using the Phone Cable that came from the package to connect the Ooma to the Module but I don't have dial tone and or received calls in any of my wireless phones either. I disconnected my home telephone 10 months ago so I am assuming that my connection in the outside box is disconnected because I cannot dial 911 from any phone.

Please any help is appreciated before I put everything back together and send it back to Amazon :(

If you don't have an existing landline that you requested to be integrated with your Telo, nothing should be connected to your Telo's wall port. Your description of your setup is confusing to me, but if all the lights on your Telo are blue (appears that way in the picture), try connecting a phone to the Ooma Telo phone port and see if you get dial tone on that phone.
#33114 by tommies
Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 pm
1972ARG wrote: my main problem is connecting the telephone line to the Ooma wall jack. I have inside my closet a Honeywell Telephone/Cable Module and the cable that comes from the street to connect the other 8 telephone jacks is a Cat 5, so I couldn't connect it to the Ooma jack. I tried using the Phone Cable that came from the package to connect the Ooma to the Module but I don't have dial tone and or received calls in any of my wireless phones either.

Are you trying to feed the dial tone from Telo PHONE port into the house wiring? (The other option--connect the land line to Telo WALL port--is kind of silly since you already state that your home phone had been cancel)

I'm not familliar with this kind of wiring, but in general the concept is the same. The phone jack/RJ-11 can have up to 4 wires(2 pairs or just 1 pair). The network jack/RJ-45 has exactly 8wires(4 pairs). The two looks very similar, but the RJ-45 is almost double in size.

If your wall jack is RJ-11, only the first two pairs of the Cat5 cable are used for the phone wiring.

Using any phone cord with only one pair--you see only two brass wires at the plug--plug one end to Telo PHONE port/jack. Cut off the other plug and strip the wires, and then connect it to the left most posts where the blue/white-blue wire is connected. A punch tool is needed for this, or just cut off the wires and twist them together. If you don't have the tool and/or reluctant to cut off the wires, I'm sure some one will come up with a better idea.

I disconnected my home telephone 10 months ago so I am assuming that my connection in the outside box is disconnected because I cannot dial 911 from any phone.
This is a safe assumption, however any stray voltage on the line would inferfere with your phone call quality. If you want to feed the Telo dial tone to the house wiring, you want to double check on this and make sure the wires are clear--ie voltage==0.0
#33711 by 1972ARG
Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:57 pm
Thank You Guys for the fast response.

Tommies: I followed your guidelines and I was able to install my Ooma Telo with the option of the wires attached together.

Thanks again and Please let me know if I can change my configurations for my ATC (Apple Time Capsule) to be faster since I was reading few of your comments about Mac on the forums and I know you have experience on this area as well.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D