Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#32862 by davek
Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:33 pm
OK, I had things all groovy with Qwest DSL. The phone line came in, direct to the DSL modem. I took ethernet from there, into the Oooma AND into a router for all my computers; the DSLmodem has a four-banger router, so I used two of those out. (and then from there into a wireless roter). The phone line OUT of ooma went to my house. All worked fine.

OK, so I got Cable Modem in now, and it only has ONE ethernet out. So I took that out into the Ooma, and then the out of that into my house router. My problem there is I am wondering if the Oooma makes things too slow.... it is only a 10/100 ethernet, and my internet is supposed to be 6mbps. Or is that ok?

I ran a report, and my cable internet does not seem so good. It uis only showing about 1.5 down, 3 up- supposed to be 6 down, 1.5 up. Weird. Again, is this weird because it all is through the Oooma?

Here is the report. Look how BAD my QoS show, but all the numbers look good. Why?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 6.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 3.6 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.5

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1305872 bps
Upload speed: 3486384 bps
Download quality of service: 56 %
Upload quality of service: 92 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 136 ms
Average download pause: 14 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 67 ms
Average round trip time to server: 68 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 28800000bps
Route concurrency: 22.05423
Download TCP forced idle: 73 %
Maximum route speed: 7825072bps
#32876 by murphy
Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:34 am
davek wrote:My problem there is I am wondering if the Ooma makes things too slow.... it is only a 10/100 ethernet, and my internet is supposed to be 6mbps. Or is that ok?

Last time that I checked 6 was less than 10 and way less than 100. That is not your problem.
#32881 by davek
Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:18 am
murphy wrote:Last time that I checked 6 was less than 10 and way less than 100. That is not your problem.

Thanks Murph! With all the acronym's and this and that, I was not sure what I was comparing. If what the Comcast was rated was the same quantity and the same magnitude as what the router was rated; that is, whether I was comparing apples to oranges or apples.

So I tested my stuff again this morning, and VoIP gave me approx the same thing again:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1937688 bps
Upload speed: 3595368 bps
Download quality of service: 81 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 198 ms
Average download pause: 9 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 67 ms
Average round trip time to server: 68 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 32000000bps
Route concurrency: 16.514526
Download TCP forced idle: 76 %
Maximum route speed: 7825072bps

So I have a good MOS score (4)- better than at Qwest. Little jitter at .9ms, and 2meg down, 3.5 meg up (qwest was 1.5 down, 786 up) So that all looks good. But the overall score for QoS is like 75% and yellow. What is that? Is that something to worry about? Qwest had 95% QoS....

Also, I did a DSL Speed Test, and that showed SUBSTANTIALLY different speeds than this test. Instead of 2meg down, 3.5 meg up, I got 5.3 meg down, 2.05 up (which is about what Comcast says I should have). And the VoIP test has BACKWARDS results- I should have less up than down... I ran both tests within minutes of each other, from the same computer- why such a discrepancy?

Thanks!
#32885 by murphy
Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:52 am
I am on Comcast north of Philadelphia. My plan was upgraded to 12/2 sometime ago for free.
I get 15 down and 5 up using their speed test.

http://speedtest.comcast.net

speed.JPG
speed.JPG (65.2 KiB) Viewed 3109 times

The fact that your download speed is lower than your upload speed is suspicious.

What kind of modem do you have?

Connect to 192.168.100.1 and get the downstream signal strength and the upstream power level. Also the SNR if it is there.
#32887 by wat_wacer
Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:18 am
The Ooma has QoS abilities and it may be reserving some bandwidth for itself. I would go from modem to router and then just treat the Ooma as just another computer (plug it into the router). You should get your speed back and as long as you don't max out your connection downloading something you should not see any call quality issues.

(10/100/1000 means the router will make a 10mb, 100mb or 1000mb connection with the computer, depending on the network card in the computer. 1000mb is a giga bit connection.)
#32889 by davek
Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:29 am
murphy wrote:I am on Comcast north of Philadelphia. My plan was upgraded to 12/2 sometime ago for free.
I get 15 down and 5 up using their speed test.

http://speedtest.comcast.net

We go up to 12/2 in December, too. OK, I kinda thought using Comcast to test them might be a bit, uh, suspect, but I did it. Here are the results. Wow, would you look at that- I TOTALLY find 22.5 down 7 up totally outrageous! Should be 6 down 2 up.

comcast.jpg
comcast.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 3102 times

Here is DSLTest.com results- about what I would suspect. Again, this test was within a minute of the Comcast test, from the same computer.

speed2.jpg
speed2.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 3102 times

murphy wrote:The fact that your download speed is lower than your upload speed is suspicious.

I thought so, too, but that is only one test. As we have seen, can't always trust those online tests! :D

murphy wrote:What kind of modem do you have?

SurfBOARD 6120

murphy wrote:Connect to 192.168.100.1 and get the downstream signal strength and the upstream power level. Also the SNR if it is there.

I do not see that info specifically, here is what my Modem shows:

Channel ID 46
Frequency 519000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
0 dBmV

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 34800000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 2968
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec
Power Level 38 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 46
Total Unerrored Codewords 1837548526
Total Correctable Codewords 0
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 1384

Thanks Murphy!
#32893 by murphy
Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:59 am
The SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) is 37 db which is good.
The upstream power level is 38 db which is good.

The downstream power level is listed as 0 dBmV
Rerun and get the real number. Anywhere higher than -7 dBmV is good.
(In case you are not a math whiz, -6 is higher than -7.)

I saw very high download speeds while they were installing in my area. Once the installation was complete they sent a new config file to my modem that put the caps in place.
#32894 by davek
Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:04 am
murphy wrote:The downstream power level is listed as 0 dBmV
Rerun and get the real number. Anywhere higher than -7 dBmV is good.
(In case you are not a math whiz, -6 is higher than -7.)

Thanks!

I reran numerous times- looks like "0" IS the number, which is higher than -7, I guess.

So, I am guessing that I do not need to worry about the VoIP test showing me with borderline QoS- everything looks good?

Things SOUND good, so far at least!
#32903 by murphy
Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:25 am
You're right. I guess I'm still asleep. I've never seen the reading hit exactly zero.
You're signal levels look good and you don't have the modem that I have that has overheating problems.
Is there anything running in the background on that computer or another computer or a network connected DVR that could be skewing the results?
#32905 by davek
Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:28 am
I was listening to a streaming radio show- very low bandwidth- for one test. I realized that AFTER I tested. But nothing else- no Tivo or anything.