Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#39497 by puzzle
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:10 am
I have a new Ooma Telo with the same problem. Config is:

- AT&T phone line w/ DSL (ex-SBC ex-PacBell; 10,000ft from the CO.).
- Phone line integration for Telo config.
- Telo's landline connection is via the the internal splitter of a fax machine, and is DSL-filtered
- One genuine Western Electric phone (i.e. from before most forum members were born) also on the telco line, parallel to the Telo.
- One Panasonic cordless attached to the Telo
- Telo attached to LAN after router/firewall (so it gets an IP via LAN DHCP)
- AT&T voicemail service active

Telo worked fine the first half-day after installation. But at :01 and :31 of every hour since starting midnight first day (~12 hours after installation), the Telo calls itself, rings once, and hangs up on itself. At 1am I sent all inbounds to voicemail; thereafter each self-call left me a voicemail message that sounds like 13 seconds of AT&T dialtone, with my own phone# as the Caller ID.

Importantly, during these self-calls, only the Telo-attached cordless unit rings---the WE phone doesn't ring, and the fax doesn't indicate an inbound call. So, the WE handset and fax machine both confirm that there is no incoming call (not at ring voltages anyway) coming from AT&T. Also, there are no new AT&T voicemail messages waiting.

It is not reasonable that we'd need to speculatively terminate our AT&T voicemail service before we know the Telo can provide a viable replacement for it. (After all, the Telo doesn't yet work properly.)

My concern is that there's a design or implementation flaw in the Telo electronics -- that line signaling voltages below the threshold of ring voltage used by AT&T are triggering it into a ring condition, where they would not represent a ring to a standard phone.

This problem was reported as under investigation by Ooma as "Bug 6461 (Phantom calls on landline Telo every 30 minutes)". Now that the problem's about 2 months old, is there any resolution?

Thanks.
#47684 by puzzle
Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:19 pm
I was able to end this "every 30 minutes" Telo misbehavior by canceling the voicemail service on my AT&T landline account.

This does not mean AT&T is the problem. Rather, the "every 30 minutes" self-calls are almost certainly an Ooma Telo product design flaw. Canceling AT&T voicemail service is merely a workaround that might be acceptable to you.

(Don't assume that shutting off telco voicemail is "OK" or "what you would have done anyway." Not everyone buys a Telo for its voicemail, and you may not want your voicemails stored on an Ooma webserver instead of a regulated telephone carrier's infrastructure, for privacy, security, legal, or reliability reasons. Simple example: If you have a power failure, your telephone carrier's voicemail keeps working while your Telo is off the grid. Bottom line, (a) Telo voicemail should be optional, not mandatory, and (b) Ooma's Telo product needs to be made compatible with the standard services of the major landline carriers if landline integration is an advertised feature. Right now the Telo is "almost compatible"; let's hope a fix is coming.)
#47827 by sfhub
Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:31 pm
puzzle wrote:I was able to end this "every 30 minutes" Telo misbehavior by canceling the voicemail service on my AT&T landline account.

This does not mean AT&T is the problem. Rather, the "every 30 minutes" self-calls are almost certainly an Ooma Telo product design flaw. Canceling AT&T voicemail service is merely a workaround that might be acceptable to you.

(Don't assume that shutting off telco voicemail is "OK" or "what you would have done anyway." Not everyone buys a Telo for its voicemail, and you may not want your voicemails stored on an Ooma webserver instead of a regulated telephone carrier's infrastructure, for privacy, security, legal, or reliability reasons. Simple example: If you have a power failure, your telephone carrier's voicemail keeps working while your Telo is off the grid.

I agree with most of what you are suggesting.

However, on a power failure in your home, doesn't Telo's voicemail (provided by Ooma) keep working while the Telo is off the grid?