Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#32711 by peitsche
Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 pm
Hello!

This is very frustrating and amusing at the same time. Every 30 minutes, at exactly the top of the hour and at exactly the 30s, there is an incoming call on my integrated landline number. When I pick up, all I hear is a dialtone. When I don't pick it up it leaves a 7-8 second voicemail. Oh, did I mention it does that EVERY 30 MINUTES? :D

I activated my new Telo for the first time last night and chose the landline integration. No porting request pending. So, not only is technical phone support unable to help me with my little problem of the phone ringing every 30 minutes, I have now been told twice that I should I call my local telco about the lack of incoming CallerID on my integrated landline (another issue I am having). Looking here at the forum, Ooma is clearly admitting that there is a known issue about incoming CallerID not working in those situations but the support guys on the phone keep telling customers a different story. Not only that, apparently there is not even an ETA to fix that issue. I know that I would't have ordered Ooma had I known that one of the most important features to me is not working. :x

Back to the other, even more pressing issue of getting these annoying phone calls every 30 minutes. Is there somebody here that has heard of this or has some tips while I wait for a "Level 2 or Level 3" tech to call me back within "the next one or two days" (quote from phone tech support)? The incoming CallerID shows "unknown" and my voicemail inbox tells me that the voicemail is from my own (Ooma integrated) landline phone number. I am ready to unplug the whole thing until this gets resolved because the issue is so annoying and Ooma support has been useless so far.

Sorry for the rant but I had high expectations for this Ooma Telo thing.
#32725 by southsound
Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 pm
You might try disconnecting the landline from the Telo and connecting a regular phone to the landline. See if it exibits the same behavior. Of course, during this period the Telo will be looking for a landline and will not be functional - but within 1/2 hour you should know if it is your landline or the Telo.

This sounds like a rather unique problem, so keep us posted. And even though you were driven here by a wierd problem, wewlcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
#32728 by peitsche
Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:09 pm
southsound wrote:You might try disconnecting the landline from the Telo and connecting a regular phone to the landline. See if it exibits the same behavior. Of course, during this period the Telo will be looking for a landline and will not be functional - but within 1/2 hour you should know if it is your landline or the Telo.

This sounds like a rather unique problem, so keep us posted. And even though you were driven here by a wierd problem, wewlcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:

thanks for the welcome!

Yes, it has never done this. Only since I hooked it up to the Telo...
#32731 by murphy
Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:16 pm
Is your land line connected to the WALL jack on the Telo and the phone jack on the Telo connected to a corded telephone or a cordless base and no where else?
#32732 by peitsche
Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:19 pm
murphy wrote:Is your land line connected to the WALL jack on the Telo and the phone jack on the Telo connected to a corded telephone or a cordless base and no where else?

Yes and yes. However, I have two cordless bases connected to the phone jack on the Telo via a duplex splitter.

edited to add: I just now tested it with just one cordless phone base connected to the Telo. The same. :cry: ;)
#32756 by Dante R
Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:07 pm
Looking over your logs it appears that _something_ is trying to check your VM.

Can you disconnect everything from the phone port or maybe leave just a vanilla corded phone and see what happens?
#32771 by peitsche
Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:50 pm
Dante R wrote:Looking over your logs it appears that _something_ is trying to check your VM.

Can you disconnect everything from the phone port or maybe leave just a vanilla corded phone and see what happens?

Do you mean disconnect everything from the Telo's phone port or do you mean disconnect everything from any wall jack in the house? I have now disconnected the phones from the Telo and connected them to a regular wall jack. The calling has stopped since then. I am sure once I plug the phones back into the Telo, the calling will resume.

Thanks for checking into it, though, and keep the suggestions coming. :D
#32790 by peitsche
Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:04 pm
Dante R wrote:Looking over your logs it appears that _something_ is trying to check your VM.

I have now tried it with just a vanilla corded phone plugged into the Telo. Still the same. Now I will unplug that as well and see what happens. Will find out at exactly 7:30... ;)
#32793 by peitsche
Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:23 pm
Dante R wrote:So it looks like your telephone(s) are doing something to cause this.

Do you happen to have a vanilla corded phone to test with?

:?: Like I said, I already tested it with just a vanilla corded phone hooked up to it. Still the same. Now I am trying to find out what will happen if no phone at all is connected to the Telo.