Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#32674 by oomacurious
Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:54 am
I'm considering purchasing Ooma Telo and have a question about setting it up when the router is on a different floor than I want my phone to be. In my home, my Internet router is hidden away on the third floor. If I understand setup correctly, Telo needs to be plugged into the router to work. How could I set it up so my phone is on the main floor of my home and not inconveniently placed upstairs just because that's where the router is.

Thanks!
#32680 by hpepper
Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:22 pm
Well, there are several ways this could be done.

One way would be to place the Telo by the router and plug in the "PHONE" jack of the Telo to the house wiring (assuming you aren't going to use a landline.) Then you would have Ooma dialtone anywhere there is a phone jack in the house. You could also purchase and use a Telo handset, but that would require one at $50 each anywhere you need a phone, up to 4 handsets.

Another way would require you to have two twisted pair of Ethernet network wiring from the router to the location of the Telo - then just plug phones into the Telo for dialtone.

There are probably other ways and variations that you could do - which I am sure others will suggest...
#32776 by ajw522
Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:26 pm
You can use a HomePlug system, which networks your internet across your powerlines. Plug one piece of the home-plug system into the wall where you router/Modem is, and the plug one piece where your TELO needs to be into the wall and connect the Telo's Modem Port into the HomePlug device's ethernet port. Works great!