Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#34086 by ckbrou
Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:12 pm
But when I do the dry loop my at&t land line will stop working right? This is confusing because when I call AT&T they say that it is just over one line and they just cancel the "shared line" and then I would suddenly have "direct dsl".
#34461 by tommies
Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:51 pm
ckbrou wrote:But when I do the dry loop my at&t land line will stop working right? This is confusing because when I call AT&T they say that it is just over one line and they just cancel the "shared line" and then I would suddenly have "direct dsl".

ckbrou wrote:I am also with AT&T and have the same question. If I switch to dsl direct (dry loop) right now It seems that I would be in danger of loosing my AT&T number before the port went through. If I don't switch and start the porting process it seems that when the port takes place my dsl will be disconnected when the number is moved from AT&T to ooma. I am wondering if this would work:
1. Keep my DSL and AT&T phone number setup as it is now
2. Start the number port
3. In a few weeks when the port goes through my internet and phone connection will stop working.
4. I then call up AT&T to have them switch me over to DSL Direct (dry loop).
5. I assume that this will cause me to be without internet and phone for a couple of days but I am not sure what else to do.

Is this my best option?

For ATT DSL, as I had done this myself, it's better if the dry loop is done before the porting take place. You need to call CS and tell them exactly what you want:
  • you want to port your number out to another voip carrier.
  • you want to keep the DSL service. Some compliment on ATT DSL service won't hurt the cause. It's true for me, the DSL service by ATT/Bellsouth had been excellent.
  • you want the DSL dry loop (ATT calls it Direct DSL) as a result of the above reason.
This is what you expect it to be done
  • your DSL will have it own billing statement with a new account number(which is a new phone number)
  • your current phone number will be held in a dummy account till it is ported.
  • your phone will stop working when the dry loop completed.

Ask for assurance that your phone number will be safe untill the porting is completed.

If the CS rep seams not to know what you're asking for, just poliely say thank and call again till you meet one that have the knowledge. Not all the CS rep are equal.

PS
If you just go by saying you want a dry loop DSL, it's very easy to misunderstand that you want to keep the DLS and CANCEL the phone line. this is not what you want.
#35166 by OomaZooma
Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:12 am
tommies wrote:
ckbrou wrote:For ATT DSL, as I had done this myself, it's better if the dry loop is done before the porting take place. You need to call CS and tell them exactly what you want:
  • you want to port your number out to another voip carrier.
  • you want to keep the DSL service. Some compliment on ATT DSL service won't hurt the cause. It's true for me, the DSL service by ATT/Bellsouth had been excellent.
  • you want the DSL dry loop (ATT calls it Direct DSL) as a result of the above reason.
This is what you expect it to be done
  • your DSL will have it own billing statement with a new account number(which is a new phone number)
  • your current phone number will be held in a dummy account till it is ported.
  • your phone will stop working when the dry loop completed.

Ask for assurance that your phone number will be safe untill the porting is completed.

If the CS rep seams not to know what you're asking for, just poliely say thank and call again till you meet one that have the knowledge. Not all the CS rep are equal.

PS
If you just go by saying you want a dry loop DSL, it's very easy to misunderstand that you want to keep the DLS and CANCEL the phone line. this is not what you want.

Tommies did a great job explaining this confusing topic. If you follow his steps you should have no problems. If you still have questions, please let us know and we will do our best to answer your questions.

Gary
#38352 by associate
Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:27 pm
I like tommies sequence, but I was unable to get any AT&T rep to follow that path. Certainly, AT&T has the technology to accommodate such a request, and has done so repeatedly in the past. I spoke with thirteen reps, techs... in many different departments between December 1 and 16. We examined the issue from many different aspects, but only came up with Uverse, cable, or wireless. I didn't try escalating to AT&T management, which may have been a mistake.

Here's my situation: AT&T phone and DSL on the same account number.
. . . . . . Converting to AT&T dry loop DSL, a.k.a. DSL Direct.

. . . . . . AT&T would NOT split my AT&T phone and DST into two separate accounts. Nor would AT&T create a temporary account to hold my phone number during the porting process.
. . . . . . AT&T would NOT allow me to order dry-loop DSL while I had AT&T phone service.

Here's the solution I ended up with to get out of this catch-22

SOLUTION STEP 1) Directly contact other high-speed Internet service providers in your area. Ask them: a) how much monthly service costs; b) promotions or discounts; c) installation charges; and d) when could their service be installed. ('Authorized resellers' and 'distributors' typically offer lower initial rates, but much higher long-term rates.)

SOLUTION STEP 2) Submit your porting request to Ooma. Let them know you have AT&T phone and DSL on the same account number. (This posting is not applicable if your AT&T phone and DSL are on separate account numbers.) In my experience, Ooma provides official porting confirmation in one week, and an estimated porting date within two weeks.
When you receive your official porting confirmation from Ooma, let the Ooma porting team know that you need the estimated porting date ASAP because your AT&T phone and DSL are on the same account.

SOLUTION STEP 3) Contact AT&T to order your 'dry loop' DSL ASAP AFTER you have received your estimated porting date. DO NOT contact AT&T as an existing customer with an existing account number and phone #. Rather, contact AT&T as if you are a NEW CUSTOMER, because (as of the porting date) you really will be a 'new' customer. Ask for a new account with only dry loop DSL. You will get a new account number. You want the DSL Direct installed on your estimated porting date. If that date isn't available, then you want it installed ASAP AFTER your estimated porting date.

SOLUTION STEP 4) You only need this step IF your dry-loop install date is AFTER your estimated porting date. If so, contact the Ooma porting team and ask them to work with AT&T to delay your porting to match your dry loop install date.
Tip: Do NOT ask AT&T to delay your porting date; they legally can't. Ooma can.

In general, minimize your exposure to AT&T, and rely on the expertise of the Ooma porting team and Ooma forum experts like tommies & oomg. I hope this helps.